Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 06:15 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,940,499 times

Advertisements

Looking to get a 36" box Sissoo tree and as far as I know, there are two choices in Phoenix...Moon Valley Nursery or Whitfill Nursery. Are there any others?

Between Whitfill and Moon Valley, is one better...does one grow their trees locally or anything like that?

It's "funny" how their pricing works, it's like buying a car or something.
I stopped by Moon Valley this morning and was quoted $750 delivered and planted (w/ 1 yr warranty).

I then called one Whitfill location and was quoted $700 planted...then called another Whitfill and was told $599 planted.

Finally called Moon Valley to see what they would say and was told $850 then when I said Whitfill would do it for $599, they said they would match it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 11:25 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Looking to get a 36" box Sissoo tree and as far as I know, there are two choices in Phoenix...Moon Valley Nursery or Whitfill Nursery. Are there any others?

Between Whitfill and Moon Valley, is one better...does one grow their trees locally or anything like that?

It's "funny" how their pricing works, it's like buying a car or something.
I stopped by Moon Valley this morning and was quoted $750 delivered and planted (w/ 1 yr warranty).

I then called one Whitfill location and was quoted $700 planted...then called another Whitfill and was told $599 planted.

Finally called Moon Valley to see what they would say and was told $850 then when I said Whitfill would do it for $599, they said they would match it.

I have only had bad experiences with Moon Valley. I will never buy anything there again. They do not give you your money back-only a "credit". I don't like that policy. If you go with Moon Valley, get it in writing and PLEASE read the fine print. I don't trust them. I never had to return anything to Whitfill.

Have you ever had a Sisoo tree before? I have 3. Those trees grow very, very fast and they get HUGE.

I bought mine in 15 gallon containers.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:56 AM

Nope, never had one but I need a good fast growing shade tree that doesn't look out of place in desert landscaping and this seems to fit the bill perfectly from what I've read. I personally don't think it's the best looking tree...I prefer something like an Ash over it but it has all the qualities I need.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:05 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,765,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Nope, never had one but I need a good fast growing shade tree that doesn't look out of place in desert landscaping and this seems to fit the bill perfectly from what I've read. I personally don't think it's the best looking tree...I prefer something like an Ash over it but it has all the qualities I need.

To me, the sisoo is a good tree. It doesn't require a lot of water, pretty much resistant to diseases, it gets huge in less than 2 years, and it's pretty clean. It will need pruning though. Sounds like you made the right choice.

As far as the nurseries, I'd go with whomever quoted you 599 first. Get everything in writing.

I have never had good luck with trees that come in large containers.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:26 AM

Hmm...what do you mean "large containers"...how large is large and what sizes have you tried?

I'm a bit worried about that aspect of it. I always thought it was good to plant a tree when it's smaller, so it establishes it self better in it's new environment...with the roots being able to take a better hold while the tree is smaller and less prone to blowing over. The guy at the nursery said the opposite, that a larger tree is better because it's already established. I guess they are referring to the actual tree being established and I'm talking about established in the ground/environment. I have read that young Sissoo trees are sensitive to frost and can even die, so in that case, a bigger tree that is past that stage would be better I would think.

What kind of pruning will it need and when? I've read a little that says they should be pruned in January, but not for the first two years? Does that sound right?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:02 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,239 times
I like Treeland Nursery.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:29 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
I bought all my trees from Jackrabbit Nursery in Buckeye. They are a family owned operation and have been around a while. I was happy with them.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:12 PM

264 posts, read 1,596,019 times
I like Summer Winds.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:13 PM

Aaand the winner is...Moon Valley Nursery.

I know they don't have the best reviews customer service wise but they have some great trees, especially compared to Whitfill. I drove down to Whitfill at 32nd St & Southern and they had about five 36" box Sissoo trees, they all looked terrible. There were short, maybe 10' tall and just did not have a good shape...either leaning to one side or branches starting real low.

I left there and called Moon Valley Nursery on Tatum and spoke with the GM of that store who said they would match the $600 price. I drive there...meet a sales person upon entering and tell him about it and he says "$600 for a 36"? I don't think so, they are $1000." Told him to get the guy I talked to who confirmed the $600 price and then chose the tree I liked best. Sucks that delivery isn't for another 2 weeks though, guess they are pretty busy. I love their inflated markups as well...like anyone actually pays those. Their 36" box trees all said $1999 on them.

Here he is...

Last edited by HX_Guy; 04-15-2011 at 04:00 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 04:15 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Moon Valley usually does have nice stock. It's just all that jacking you around on their prices that is irritating. Sounds like you beat them at their own game. Nice tree, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area