Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 01:29 PM

4 posts, read 10,923 times

Advertisements

So, I've been out in Phoenix metro (near Camelback & 7th in temp housing) for a month or so now, and struggling. I'm African-American, male, 39, and single. Been looking for a place to buy (I'll be here for at least 2 years) and can't land on a neighborhood. I have been living in LA for the last 9 years but originally hail from the East Coast. I am an executive in marketing at a software company.

My issue: from what I've seen, I'm stuck between worlds (cue sci-fi music here).

Tempe - I like the town, honestly. Lots of clubs, lots of energy, lots of diversity. The waterfront is cool during the day (not literally: it's hotter than hell and getting hotter), and there's a lot of different types of people around. Kind of like a junior version of Venice Beach but at a "level 3" crazy versus "level 11."

Downside? Well, again, I'm 39 and single. I don't troll for college girls as a rule (not that there's anything wrong with that, or I'm against dating that age, just not a focus of mine necessarily). I'm concerned I'll feel like "the old guy at the club" if I live there, which would suck.

Scottsdale - it's clear to me, if anywhere in Scottsdale is going to be habitable, it's going to be Old Town. North of Indian School road, everything gets richer, slower, older, more retired/sedate. Old Towne has folks in my age group (great) with some bar scene action (well, more restaurant than bar scene).

That said, Old Town isn't giving off the most "diverse" vibe, if you know what I mean. I don't get looks, but I don't feel super-welcome either (more of a "what are YOU doing here? vibe).

In a nutshell, I feel too old in one area and too dark in another.

So I offer these questions:
1) are my observations off base?
2) if they are not, any recommendations from their respective inhabitants?
3) is there an area/neighborhood that I haven't considered yet that I should check out?

Looking for feedback: temp housing expires end of May and I need to make a call on where to live soon.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 01:42 PM

4,235 posts, read 13,986,537 times
don't limit yourself to those two areas, if that's what you're doing....

have you thought about the area where you are temp living now??...by the way, is it 7th Ave or St???...very convenient, diverse, established....

or maybe a bit further S central Phx in the various historic neighborhoods like Willo, Encanto, Roosevelt, Palmcroft, and others.....

I know about the Scotts thing, but I think the downtown area is more tolerant than you think....spend some more time in the various areas and see what vibe you continue to get....

don't know much about it, but many here say the S part of Tempe is not at all student-ish feeling and is very nice...Tempe has always had a progressive rep in the Phx area....

Old 04-24-2011, 01:54 PM

Yeah, I don't think this is the place for me: I found a dive bar I liked (Four Horses, or something, down near Central and Camelback) but it was always pretty quiet (with a good jukebox though). I was walking back from there one night and stopped by Applebees to get a burger to go: packed. Then it hit me: I'm living in a neighborhood where the hopping place is Applebees.

The historic districts, though, are good suggestion. Looked there initially and saw lots of families (although houses are great). Downtown Phoenix is depressing, since it COULD be awesome but is just a ghost town on the weeknights/weekends. I love the look of downtown, the light rail, etc. is so convenient but just wish there were, well, people.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:43 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,033,359 times
Of those 2, I would say Tempe. that being more central to other places in driving distance would make me choose that. I have never been a big fan of Scottsdale for more than a day trip. It seems further away (been in Chandler area for 10 yrs) from everything that I can get here and I usually only go down there when someone visits and wants to see Scottsdale.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:55 PM

38,926 posts, read 50,805,244 times
You have a car, no? I was between spouses at about your age and found Tempe way out of my age bracket. But I lived in Ahwatukee and made the drive to mid-Scottsdale every weekend just about. Not a big deal unless you like to drink a lot and then the cab fares or the DUI can set you back. Outside of the weekends, there is not much going on in Scottsdale either. There was a little bar down the street from me that took care of my daily needs. If it were me, of the two I would live in Tempe for the better vibe and then take the trip up Rural on the weekends.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:00 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,746,031 times
Tempe is nice, but......those college kids are very cliquey. 29 is old to them. Scottsdale is too fakey and expensive, but if you work near there, it would be good. It's true, you can hear a pin drop on Central Avenue in the evenings and weekends, but some of the bars seem pretty happening. I've been tempted to check out FEZ, but I get so many mixed signals on YELP, same with Alexis, they advertise HH, but it looks more like the lobby of an assisted living building. I may start a thread on the best HH on Central, would like some good drinking deals and/or food. I've been trying to figure out why 80% of the women have arms bigger than mine, even though I can lift a bag of cement over my head--maybe another reason to find the cheap drinks......bottom line--live near your job.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:15 PM

235 posts, read 752,363 times
The reason you feel that way is due to the impact media has had on the valley. White dudes trying to be thugs, hummers, bleach blond exaggerated Beverly hills wannabes. In Phoenix by 30 you should have no time to have a night life, The order normally goes.. 18-go to college - 22 party until you knock up some chick-24-70 you work a crap job kissing some dudes butt everyday, just so you can make your mortgage payment, pay for your kids, get your wife looking "presentable" and make a payment on your over priced car. Not much room to start a scene for that age bracket in This area.
Peoples priorities are wrong out here.
To be honest,If you are looking for a night life scene in your age group, you wont find it here. Maybe if you have a preexisting group of friends you have know since high school, you could find a neighborhood with people your age group, or a co worker for an occasional beer, but for night life, Tempe is for college kids and post grads.
Scottsdale is for yuppies, roid raging bro dudes, and wanna be Paris Hilton women. Downtown sports fans, old business men seeking margaritas and their favorite Jimmy Buffet song, and crack heads.
My suggestion, is to seek another city. Good Luck

Old 04-24-2011, 09:39 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,125,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neojedi View Post
Been looking for a place to buy (I'll be here for at least 2 years) and can't land on a neighborhood.

Looking for feedback: temp housing expires end of May and I need to make a call on where to live soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
My suggestion, is to seek another city. Good Luck
This isn't even close to being useful. The o/p didn't ask why you hate living here. He asked, very specifically, for places to live in this area. He'll be here for two years. Please stick to the topic.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:10 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,859,638 times
Don't give up on Phoenix. Bars,restaurants, diversity are a safer bet in Central PHX.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:59 AM

Uhuh - your answer reminded me of the "choose life" monologue from "trainspotting". Unfortunately, I don't have the financial independence to chuck it and move. Entertaining response, just not practical.

Where, exactly IS "central Phx"? If it's where I am now, it is...sparse. Blocks of auto dealerships interspersed with restaurants , including aforementioned Applebees. Or are it's boundaries elsewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area