U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 05:02 AM

17,842 posts, read 39,864,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Thanks for the continued insights!!

The office is off the 101 sort of in northern Scottsdale, I believe. I did Google from the Phoenix area to the office and it says it can take upwards of 45min with traffic!! Granted, that was from the center of the city in Phoenix. Are the majority of apartments in complexes? I don't mind complexes, but I'd much rather be in a flat - where I'm at currently is the first floor of a 2story house. I've had every nightmare neighbor and then some from my previous apt complexes and absolutely love living in this flat.

I'm also very familiar with using those websites to meet people. I was extremely active in Meetin while I was in Hawaii and met my close friends through that website. I've realized it's hard to make solid friends in Syracuse - while there are Meetup groups, they're not very active and the people I met were well, sort of weird. Most people who live here have had the same friends since they were born, so they're not out looking for new friends through online groups.
There are lots of nice areas in Phoenix that are MUCH closer than a 45 min commute to north Scottsdale. Yes, the majority of the apartments are in complexes; you might find a condo or other different arrangement, but they are less common.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 05:48 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,399,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
what Phoenix lady said!!!!

you don't have to live in Scottsdale.....it's just another suburb of Phoenix, but it does have a prestigious vibe....southern areas of Scotts. are less expensive than the north areas, but, obviously, less desirable...Osborn and anything N will be better (i.e. more expensive!)

you can easily live next door in Phoenix and save tons in rent....unless saying you live in Scotts. is important to you....

can I ask where, approximately, the new office is??....that might help us zero in on an area.....

otherwise, as far as COL goes, milk and all that costs the same as Phoenix!!!
No, Scottsdale is its own city proper. Who cares what address you have, but I can tell you if you live in 85254 you'll have a Scottsdale mailing address with Phoenix city services - all the "panache" without actually having to live in Scottdale.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:49 PM

50 posts, read 161,099 times
Quote:
Thanks for the continued insights!!

The office is off the 101 sort of in northern Scottsdale, I believe. I did Google from the Phoenix area to the office and it says it can take upwards of 45min with traffic!! Granted, that was from the center of the city in Phoenix. Are the majority of apartments in complexes? I don't mind complexes, but I'd much rather be in a flat - where I'm at currently is the first floor of a 2story house. I've had every nightmare neighbor and then some from my previous apt complexes and absolutely love living in this flat.
There are tons of apartments near the 101 and Shea or the 101 and Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd. In this economy they are hurting for tenants so they aren't priced that badly...and that is N. Scottsdale. My daughter was just out there looking last week! One needs to consider gas prices these days, too! Spend your $ on rent or on gas?! Either way, you will love Phoenix/Scottsdale! Good luck to you!

Old 05-01-2011, 05:47 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,090,016 times
Thanks everyone! Got lots to think about, but luckily this isn't a decision that will be made anytime soon

Old 05-07-2011, 07:08 PM

18 posts, read 28,386 times
The cost of living will be much lower than NY! I'm sure you can find anything in that price range.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:20 PM

8,875 posts, read 15,048,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I think most of us agree you can live in Phoenix just so well as Scottsdale and be on the border on Scottsdale; however, nobody has mentioned yet how many clubs and groups there are here to meet friends in on meetup.com. If the Mod erases this, pm me and I will pass the information on to you.
I've been here since August, never visited except the 3 days in June I came out to buy a house and then I moved here. Best decision I ever made. So much to do here!
And nobody has mentioned that--since SOOOO many people aren't from here and everyone is looking for friendships--it is VERY easy to make friends here.
And I've lived in innercity DC, Chicago and Houston but nowhere has it been so easy to make friends as Phoenix.
Plus, it's very pretty here with the beautiful sunsets and all.
I'm glad to hear you say that. I haven't seen a post from you lately and I was wondering how you are getting along. Sounds like you've already acquired a social life. Good for you.

And OP, if you do decide on AZ, your East Coast family will visit you. So think about an extra bedroom.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:52 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,000,150 times
Yeah, I've been going to too many activities with people I met thru meetup.com lately to be on this board..haha! I LOVE this city!

I've been here since August, started going to meet-ups in December and already have quite a few friends I could call if I needed something (course, I am pretty outgoing). Like I said, it is very ez to make friends here cause everyone is from somewhere else almost...and there is just so darn much to do here all the time that often I have to chose just one for the day. (And I need to get some discipline and finish some other projects I have at home, so I say, "I must quit the partying, I must quit the partying" over and over....think it'll work?)

AND you are only 4-1/2 hours from Vegas or so (well, that's what it took me recently) and all the fun there. It's a good, cheap get-away!

Old 05-26-2011, 05:05 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,090,016 times
Thank you all for the info! Just an update - after my initial research and after everything sunk in, it doesn't look like I'll be making the move. BUT the option is always there, so if I ever want to in the future, it would definitely be feasible. I'm thinking of possibly heading out there this summer to work in that office for a few days and just get a feel for everything... just in case.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:44 AM

20 posts, read 46,307 times
You can also do a cost of living calculator that gives you an idea of living expenses/income, etc. Some are more detailed and you can find each city you're looking for. A simple one is Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 09-12-2018 at 03:01 AM..

Old 05-28-2011, 08:53 AM

17,842 posts, read 39,864,807 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the info! Just an update - after my initial research and after everything sunk in, it doesn't look like I'll be making the move. BUT the option is always there, so if I ever want to in the future, it would definitely be feasible. I'm thinking of possibly heading out there this summer to work in that office for a few days and just get a feel for everything... just in case.
Hope you enjoy your visit. If you need suggestions for that, come back and start a topic on that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area