U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 08:25 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,088,584 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Syracuse NY area and work for an engineering firm here. I recently found out that my boss will be transferring to our Scottsdale office later this year to manage the department comprised of that office and our souther CA offices. I moved to Syracuse from Hawaii 2 years ago to take this job. With my boss leaving this office, I still have a secure job and everything - will just have a new boss and have different people moved into my department. My boss is absolutely fantastic and I said that if I hadn't just moved across the country, that I'd more than likely also make the move to Scottsdale.

With that being said, I at least wanted to just look at more information. I'm a single mid-20s female, so I'd just be looking at renting. What is the Cost of Living like in the Scottsdale area? I currently rent a 2BR flat for $700/month in a historical house located in a suburb of Syracuse.

Thanks!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 10:12 AM

1,999 posts, read 9,998,172 times
Go to rent.com and look around. Scottsdale is safe for you, by the way, and has tons to do for a gal of your age.
Prices in Scottsdale are higher than the rest of the city I'd say for restaurants--NOT that you can't find cheaper alternatives which is what your age group will do. But there are some pricey eateries there and pricey shops, which doesn't mean that you have to spend your money there.
Do you have a car? If the apartments in Scottsdale are out of your price range for what you want, you can move a little further out from there cheaper for sure. No big deal.
If you were my daughter (I'm old enough to be your grandma probably), I'd say go to Scottsdale. Sounds like you have a good situation with that boss which can be hard to find--and Scottsdale is a very desired area to work in. Granted you have to take into account the cost of moving, too, which could be prohibitive depending on your cash flow now. But you would be moving into one of the more desirable areas of the country when you move to Scottsdale.
Just IMHO.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:22 AM

35,286 posts, read 45,387,607 times
Wouldn't you like to see palm trees again? Syracuse versus Scottsdale - start packing!

Old 04-29-2011, 10:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback! From what I've seen in my initial searches, it seems apts in Phoenix would be cheaper than directly in Scottsdale.

I forgot to mention that all my family is on the east coast, so I've been really enjoying being able to see them on a regular basis. There's alot of things I love about the Syracuse area...I never planned on leaving, but then again I never had an opportunity pop up like this. It would be a very strategic career move on my part. Lots of reasons to move, but lots of reasons to stay. Got so much running through my mind right now!

Old 04-29-2011, 11:05 AM

3,391 posts, read 6,635,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
From what I've seen in my initial searches, it seems apts in Phoenix would be cheaper than directly in Scottsdale.
I like Scottsdale. However, I really think you can get more for your money (including luxury apartments) outside the Scottsdale city limits. Across the street, you're in the city of Phoenix. Big deal - same atmosphere and amenities for less money.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:45 AM

11,528 posts, read 13,075,510 times
Visit it first out here. And, stay for a week or so to get a feel for it. People and lifestyle are very different here versus NY state/upstate (I'm from the Hudson Valley originally). It's very populated here, too, (4.5million in the metro area) along with approx. 5 months of over 100 degrees. I just wanted to point out the whole reality of living here. It might be a good match for you, but just check things out thoroughly would be my advise.Good luck with whatever you do.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:25 PM

Thanks!!

If I did move out there, it wouldn't be until after the new year 2012, so this isn't a decision I need to make right now or even in a few months. Since I previously lived in Honolulu, I'm VERY familiar with larger cities and tourist districts (which I hear is alot like Scottsdale). I'm very adaptable to climates, but definitely like warmer ones better - before Hawaii, I was in Florida for 4 years.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:14 PM

4,201 posts, read 13,023,408 times
what Phoenix lady said!!!!

you don't have to live in Scottsdale.....it's just another suburb of Phoenix, but it does have a prestigious vibe....southern areas of Scotts. are less expensive than the north areas, but, obviously, less desirable...Osborn and anything N will be better (i.e. more expensive!)

you can easily live next door in Phoenix and save tons in rent....unless saying you live in Scotts. is important to you....

can I ask where, approximately, the new office is??....that might help us zero in on an area.....

otherwise, as far as COL goes, milk and all that costs the same as Phoenix!!!

Old 04-29-2011, 07:38 PM

1,999 posts, read 9,998,172 times
I think most of us agree you can live in Phoenix just so well as Scottsdale and be on the border on Scottsdale; however, nobody has mentioned yet how many clubs and groups there are here to meet friends in on meetup.com. If the Mod erases this, pm me and I will pass the information on to you.
I've been here since August, never visited except the 3 days in June I came out to buy a house and then I moved here. Best decision I ever made. So much to do here!
And nobody has mentioned that--since SOOOO many people aren't from here and everyone is looking for friendships--it is VERY easy to make friends here.
And I've lived in innercity DC, Chicago and Houston but nowhere has it been so easy to make friends as Phoenix.
Plus, it's very pretty here with the beautiful sunsets and all.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:52 AM

Thanks for the continued insights!!

The office is off the 101 sort of in northern Scottsdale, I believe. I did Google from the Phoenix area to the office and it says it can take upwards of 45min with traffic!! Granted, that was from the center of the city in Phoenix. Are the majority of apartments in complexes? I don't mind complexes, but I'd much rather be in a flat - where I'm at currently is the first floor of a 2story house. I've had every nightmare neighbor and then some from my previous apt complexes and absolutely love living in this flat.

I'm also very familiar with using those websites to meet people. I was extremely active in Meetin while I was in Hawaii and met my close friends through that website. I've realized it's hard to make solid friends in Syracuse - while there are Meetup groups, they're not very active and the people I met were well, sort of weird. Most people who live here have had the same friends since they were born, so they're not out looking for new friends through online groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area