U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 10:05 AM

21 posts, read 39,306 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,my husband is disabled had a stroke,we are needing a warmer area,the area we moved to is just not working (CO)the weather is crazymy worries about moving to Surprise Az.,scorpian,he won't talk much so that is a worry if he was to get bitten,I know spider's etc.is this an area you would look at? to move,I have been looking at houses,an not knowing the area I would not be able to tell you if this is a good or bad area,the weather in Co. is hard on my fourty something yr.old body,(I know it is not old but I have been taken care of my husband for the last five yr.)he is fifty-five,we would need to be near the grocery,hospital's,VA,an a place where he could work out,the thing that I like about Surprise was I think they have a pool for PTcan not remember,the area that I looked at so far was 85335,Peoria, AZ 85345 ,Avondale, AZ 85392,THIS ONE Surprise, AZ 85378,just would like to have some help,we were looking at FL.but just kinda not feeling,due to having crazy kids in our house an we sure don't want to be worry every night that they go out that some gangbanger is going to kill themour young men are to nice,we hope they can find jobs they are both in school,hope they can find nice girls an live,they traveled with us to be with mom an dad,Sorry this is so long,any advice would be nice we just know we have to be somewhere warm.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 10:19 AM

17,842 posts, read 39,873,678 times
Surprise is a long drive to the VA hospital, as would Peoria be. There are other communities that are closer in. Avondale, north of I-10, would be fine and would be an easier drive to the VA. I would think you can find a place for workout with a pool in closer in areas as well. Scorpions and other toxic bugs are not the widespread issue they are often suggested to be. Odds are you will never see a live scorpion.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 AM

11,528 posts, read 13,086,022 times
I've never seen a scorpion and I've been here for years.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:56 AM

35,323 posts, read 45,423,224 times
There is a YMCA with pools in Goodyear which is right next door to Avondale. They also have a Y near downtown with indoor pool. You might consider that area as well as it would be convenient to the VA. Don't let the scorpion issue scare you. There are one or more people who frequent this forum who get their kicks by posting gross exaggerations, misinformation and outright lies about life in the Phoenix area.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:18 AM

2,130 posts, read 4,627,883 times
The main VA hospital is near downtown Phoenix at 650 E Indian School.

However, there is a VA clinic in Surprise at 13985 W. Grand Ave., Suite 101
Surprise, Arizona 85374. The clinic can handle most primary care issues.

Check out this website for more info: Northwest Veterans Affairs Health Care Clinic - Surprise, Arizona - Phoenix VA Health Care System

Old 05-03-2011, 11:34 AM

21 posts, read 39,306 times
Thank you everyone, so what area would be better for us to retire,enjoy walks,the sun, oh the sun,we have been looking at the houses,an don't want to make our boys retire just because we have to so we are needing a little in between,Avondale is this a nice area?crime high?thank you Observer 53,an Phoenix lady that was the one reason I was rethinking of Az.,been working with this lady named Addie Graham,some of the area's did not look as nice as other's I found,just don't want to settle for anything lol

Old 05-03-2011, 11:46 AM

17,663 posts, read 23,449,051 times
I sincerely hope you are planning on renting prior to buying ANYTHING!!!!!

Old 05-03-2011, 03:13 PM

17,842 posts, read 39,873,678 times
Renting first would be a good idea, to give you time to get familiar with this large area without making a long term commitment to one place by purchasing.

The northern part of Avondale (north of I-10) is not a high crime area.

The Surprise VA clinic may not be enough in terms of all the services needed, but it's good to know it is there... the OP could contact them and see if they have what her husband would need, for the most part.

Old 06-26-2011, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,538 times
Peoria north of Happy Valley Rd is generally new, clean and lower in crime. Home prices are also affordable. If you have money, I would consider Northern Scottsdale or Fountain Hills.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:34 PM

9,320 posts, read 17,650,019 times
Your property taxes will be far lower in the Sun City/ Surprise area than north Peoria. Home prices are lower as well. There are some nice pockets in Surprise, like Citrus Point which is off of 114th and Bell that may suit you since you have children still at home. There are foreclosed homes in there starting at $54,000 give or take. What is your budget for a home. That may help us help steer you better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area