Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 05:25 PM

421 posts, read 1,074,699 times

Advertisements

You are right, the inventory atleast in Chandler area is going down dramatically, good houses are selling within 24-48 hours
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 09:40 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,186,205 times
Ouch - Phoenix made it on top of the year-over-year loser list on the latest Case-Shiller housing index. - 8.4% y-o-y. Why was just Phoenix so hard-hit over the last year compared to other areas?

Case Shiller Housing Index

Old 05-31-2011, 11:54 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,794,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Ouch - Phoenix made it on top of the year-over-year loser list on the latest Case-Shiller housing index. - 8.4% y-o-y. Why was just Phoenix so hard-hit over the last year compared to other areas?

Case Shiller Housing Index
In April 2009 the Phoenix area median price was $115,000.

The first time home buyers tax credit drove the prices up to $130,000 by May 2010.

After the tax credit expired, the prices dropped back down to where they are today at $111,000.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:26 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,791,787 times
And the foreclosure rate as #2 in country, slow sales, and a huge over supply is expected to bring down prices near 10% more this year.

Report: Phoenix-Area Foreclosure Rate Remains High (http://tinyurl.com/46z57xk - broken link)

Old 06-01-2011, 10:12 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
I'm more concerned about the potential sellers and what they're faced with right now. Even though I'm not looking to sell my house right now, the thought has crossed my mind because I would like to eventually live in a condo or gated community within a short distance from my work and not have to drive so much. That would also be a good investment for retirement. As it stands now, my mortgage is paid off, so I guess I should consider myself one of the lucky ones ... but if I HAD to sell and move out, what good would it do me with the resale values being so low? In many cases, an older home like mine would not allow me to make a kind of capital gain of any substance. In fact, I might actually end up losing money.

All I keep hearing is how good the Phoenix market is because home values are so cheap in comparison to other large metro areas. Sorry, but I don't consider that anything to brag about. What is so wonderful about cheap housing when sellers can't make any kind of profit on their investment???

Old 06-02-2011, 02:13 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,322,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'm more concerned about the potential sellers and what they're faced with right now. Even though I'm not looking to sell my house right now, the thought has crossed my mind because I would like to eventually live in a condo or gated community within a short distance from my work and not have to drive so much. That would also be a good investment for retirement. As it stands now, my mortgage is paid off, so I guess I should consider myself one of the lucky ones ... but if I HAD to sell and move out, what good would it do me with the resale values being so low? In many cases, an older home like mine would not allow me to make a kind of capital gain of any substance. In fact, I might actually end up losing money.

All I keep hearing is how good the Phoenix market is because home values are so cheap in comparison to other large metro areas. Sorry, but I don't consider that anything to brag about. What is so wonderful about cheap housing when sellers can't make any kind of profit on their investment???
What about renting your home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area