Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 14,656 times

Advertisements

We will be moving this summer - my husband has a new job in North Scottsdale - zip code 85260. We want to buy a home rather than rent. Since North Scottsdale is so expensive, and our price range is in the very low $100,000's, we can't really afford to live there.

What are the safest & closest zip codes/neighborhoods we should be looking at in North Phoenix? I've been told to stay away from the West side and anything with "Avenue" in the address. But I'm not sure exactly what areas that pertains to. I'm so nervous - I want to live in a really safe, quiet neighborhood!! Do they exist in North Phoenix in modest neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 06:40 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,749,316 times
West of I-17, which would be more like 25th Ave., is more accurate. Some of the best neighborhood in the entire Valley are in the Avenues. Once you get north of Thunderbird +/- it is actually better to be West of the I-17.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:22 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,885,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s27dolphin View Post
I've been told to stay away from the West side and anything with "Avenue" in the address.

Wow...by WHO?

As was mentioned, some of the best neighborhoods in the Phoenix Metro area are in the Avenues. Here is a quick map I put together on Google for you. The red area is North Scottsdale 85260, where your husband will work, and the blue is North Phoenix/North Glendale and all of the area that is highlighted is a good area. The areas around the highlighted area are good too, but some can be a bit older/run down or elderly communities but all are safe. The blue area is basically a "guarantee" that it will be a very nice, newer area that you can't go wrong with. Commute to North Scottsdale is about 25 minutes with no traffic and I'd say 40-45 minutes in rush hour.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:47 PM

4,235 posts, read 13,993,706 times
"I've been told to stay away from the West side and anything with "Avenue" in the address. But I'm not sure exactly what areas that pertains to."

in Phoenix, avenues, courts, drives, and lanes (A-L) are W of Central Ave, the primary N-S street.....streets, places, ways (M-Z) are E of Central....

your "friend" made a very sweeping generalization that everything W of Central is not good....and, in fact, that has been a long-held, albeit incorrect, belief among Phoenicians...

but there are good and bad 'hoods all over the valley...and, as the others showed, great spots on the west side and horrible stuff on the east side....

Old 05-11-2011, 11:45 PM

2,150 posts, read 5,136,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s27dolphin View Post
We will be moving this summer - my husband has a new job in North Scottsdale - zip code 85260. We want to buy a home rather than rent. Since North Scottsdale is so expensive, and our price range is in the very low $100,000's, we can't really afford to live there.

What are the safest & closest zip codes/neighborhoods we should be looking at in North Phoenix? I've been told to stay away from the West side and anything with "Avenue" in the address. But I'm not sure exactly what areas that pertains to. I'm so nervous - I want to live in a really safe, quiet neighborhood!! Do they exist in North Phoenix in modest neighborhoods?
Yes, you can find a nice home in a good neighborhood in N. Phoenix an you do not have to go too far west. There are many nice homes in the 85032, 85050, 85024 and 85022 zipcodes. If you stay near the 101 the commute will not be too bad. Also the area around Paradise Valley Mall (near Tatum and Thunderbird) is fine.

I will mention that the homes are going to be older 1970' & 1980's homes, but many are well maintained. If you are handy you can find some that are original in need of updating, but at very reasonable prices.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:16 AM

2 posts, read 14,656 times
Thank you everybody!!! Wonderful info.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:46 AM

977 posts, read 1,945,858 times
You can try zip code 85032, which is where I live. Most of it is decent-good, and not too far away from the workplace. Should be in your price range. Stay away from "The Square" though, which runs between Greenway-Bell and Cave Creek-32nd St.
Avenues do not necessarily equal bad, although as has been said, the farther south you get over there, the worse it gets. Avenues would be more of an issue for you because they are far away from your workplace.

Quote:
in Phoenix, avenues, courts, drives, and lanes (A-L) are W of Central Ave, the primary N-S street.....streets, places, ways (M-Z) are E of Central....
The numbered Streets and Avenues run N-S and set the address blocks on the E-W roads...Avenues in the west, Streets in the east. Between each one you will find the same numbered drives, lanes, places, ways, etc. The official setup is Avenue-Drive-Lane-Glen-Dale in the west, and Street-Place-Way-Terrace-Run in the east.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:50 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,749,316 times
That's helpful 'Borg. Is "the Square" AKA "The Slums of PV"?

Old 05-12-2011, 11:40 AM

203 posts, read 489,062 times
Maybe you should look at renting; you're going to have an extremely tough time finding anything in the low 100's anywhere around there unless: (a) it's a condo or b) it's extremely run down. Maybe look north in rural Cave Creek or as other posters mentioned maybe up north and west of the I-17 with some of the newer communities or those with lots of foreclosures

Old 05-12-2011, 02:06 PM

102 posts, read 576,674 times
I purchased a fixer upper last year around Januarary for 73k.. Since i been living there I upgraded the cosmetics of the whole house for around 4k of course doing the work all myself. Its now really good looking and the neighborhood is really quiet. Some of the houses look alittle shabby going into the neighborhood. Its aroind the ThunderBIRD and 35 St. 85032.. I noticed there is allot of investors buying these houses cheap and fliipping them making them nice which is a good sign and you can also get a good bargain with other oppurtunitys for sale in the neighbordhood. I like the convienience of the 51 freeway and i can get to Scottsdale in about 10 minutes.
I also like the option too where if i need to move i can rent the house out for positive cashflow and my payment is really cheap around 550 per month. THis way I am not tied down into staying here if i choose to leave for job, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area