Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:37 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,462,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I do have to say, when I first started reading this thread I got a bit scared about our move to Chandler. But after reading posts like yours from people that have lived in Arizona for many years and have never seen a scorpion I am a bit releaved. I do understand that making sure doors and cracks are sealed is very important. I have a 9 year old daughter and will have to have the talk with her to just be aware. Thank goodness my husband has been living in the house we rented since April and he has yet to see a black widow or a scorpion.
Keep other bugs (crickets, etc.) in check, and that will go a long way toward making your house inhospitable to these other pests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 12:22 PM

1,204 posts, read 2,529,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Keep other bugs (crickets, etc.) in check, and that will go a long way toward making your house inhospitable to these other pests.
I just spoke to my husband and asked if there were a lot of crickets in the yard and he said a few, but not a lot. What would you suggest as far as sprays for the yard that would not be harmful to pets. We have 2 cats and 2 dogs, so I need to be careful what we use.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:38 PM

If you are going to do it yourself, talk to the folks at the Bug and Weed Mart Stores. Very knowledgeable. Many of the sprays are fine so long as you keep the pets off them for a couple of hours after they are sprayed. If you use a qualified exterminator, they will know what to use. I have not had to spray my yard ever, so I'm not the one to ask. If you have the little gecko lizards in your yard, they will help with the bugs, too.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:47 PM

351 posts, read 976,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
If you are going to do it yourself, talk to the folks at the Bug and Weed Mart Stores. Very knowledgeable. Many of the sprays are fine so long as you keep the pets off them for a couple of hours after they are sprayed. If you use a qualified exterminator, they will know what to use. I have not had to spray my yard ever, so I'm not the one to ask. If you have the little gecko lizards in your yard, they will help with the bugs, too.
Absolutely. I let mother nature take care of herself. I had a problem with crickets when I first moved into my new house but since then the birds and lizards have moved in and they keep the population to a minimum. The only thing I spray for at this point is termites.

For larger bugs (like scorpions), they may still transit your yard, so spraying may not get rid of them completely. It will help to keep them from sticking around though. Best defense is a pair of shoes.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:31 PM

22 posts, read 41,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauramc27 View Post
I just spoke to my husband and asked if there were a lot of crickets in the yard and he said a few, but not a lot. What would you suggest as far as sprays for the yard that would not be harmful to pets. We have 2 cats and 2 dogs, so I need to be careful what we use.
You are going to want to use a multi-purpose designed one, which will attack the food chain between the crickets, scorpions, and other creatures.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSafetyQuestions View Post
You are going to want to use a multi-purpose designed one, which will attack the food chain between the crickets, scorpions, and other creatures.
That doesn't really answer the OP's concern about her pets. She can, as noted above, either consult one of the good staff at the self serve bug/weed stores, or consult a professional, either of which will know what to use to address her needs.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:12 PM

523 posts, read 938,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeSafetyQuestions View Post
This is the kind of information I have been telling people. The original poster does and should have some consideration for the health affects of the said options given as well.

Old 06-08-2011, 04:48 PM

22 posts, read 41,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjsoto View Post
Absolutely. I let mother nature take care of herself. I had a problem with crickets when I first moved into my new house but since then the birds and lizards have moved in and they keep the population to a minimum. The only thing I spray for at this point is termites.

For larger bugs (like scorpions), they may still transit your yard, so spraying may not get rid of them completely. It will help to keep them from sticking around though. Best defense is a pair of shoes.
This is a good piece of advice, as simple as it sounds, wearning shoes all the time is one of the better ways to prevent being stung by scorpions.

In regards to the movement and pattern of scorpions, it is in their nature as to why they are difficult to stop.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:15 PM

894 posts, read 2,205,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They say everything is bigger in Texas, but scorpions turning over rocks!
LMAO. Hahaha. Awesome..

In the just under 3 years that I was actually in Texas when I lived there from 2005-2010, I had never seen 1 scorpion. A few tarantula's, centipede's and snakes, but never a scorpion. I spent a lot of time in the woods hiking and geocaching with friends.

Scorpions, I don't worry about them here. I had been stung many times growing up here in the desert when I was a kid. It seemed to hurt more and more as I got older though. The worst is getting woken up in the middle of the night getting stung by one in your bed.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDesertRat86 View Post
LMAO. Hahaha. Awesome..

In the just under 3 years that I was actually in Texas when I lived there from 2005-2010, I had never seen 1 scorpion. A few tarantula's, centipede's and snakes, but never a scorpion. I spent a lot of time in the woods hiking and geocaching with friends.

Scorpions, I don't worry about them here. I had been stung many times growing up here in the desert when I was a kid. It seemed to hurt more and more as I got older though. The worst is getting woken up in the middle of the night getting stung by one in your bed.
If it is happening to you in the present days and you have them in your house that often, seems like some of the advice in this thread and others would be useful for you.

Lest your post fire up more of the irrational scorpion fear on this board, I'll say again, repeated scorpion stings on one's own property are VERY uncommon here in the Valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area