Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 10:46 AM

29 posts, read 68,842 times

Advertisements

My wife an I are considering relocating to the Phoenix/Scottsdale area. I am 35, she is 32 and we have no kids. I am a professional medical/dental sales rep and my wife currently works in retail but has worked in the restaurant/bar industry as well. We currently reside in CT. Tired of the so-so weather, high taxes, small town politics, high cost of living, etc., we have decided to entertain moving. We will likely have a child or 2 at some point, and while still child free we figure now would be the time if we are going to do it.

From the research I have done, it seems that we would be looking at homes from as far north as Fountain Hills area, to as far south as Chandler and east towards Queen Creek. Compared to CT, the real estate prices seem like screaming bargains! I am absolutely flabbergasted at what $300-$400K can get you. Houses with comparable amenities out here would literally be more than double (and that includes taking the slumped housing market into consideration), with property taxes 4-6X as much. I am not exaggerating. I would prefer a lot that is a little larger than a postage stamp, that's why I think we would likely wind up on the outskirts a little bit.

I have just begun researching jobs in my field and have seen quite a few opportunities. Since Scottsdale is know for it's shopping and dining, I don't think my wife will have much of an issue.

So, I guess my questions would be; are we crazy to entertain this change? Are there any other places people would recommend we look (or not look) at homes. I am a bit concerned about all this pretentious-talk about Scottsdale folks, but coming from the Northeast, I think we can handle it. We are looking into putting together a quick 3-4 day trip out there to look around, likely in June or July, need to see/feel the heat first hand. Any tips on what we should do to make it as productive as possible? I will toss this out there; does any one know of any medical companies who are looking for sales reps? Any other insight would be great.

Big thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Do you fly or drive to your sales calls? Fountain Hills may be a bit of a pain to get to the airport, and not too close to the major freeways either. If you are going to be going into an office with any frequency, find the job before you find the place to live. Commuting is not a great deal of fun in the Valley of the Sun.

Though it's changing, Fountain Hills has traditionally been more of a retirement community. You will find fewer families with young children there than you would in, say, Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe or Scottsdale.

Scottsdale is snooty? Sure, but you're going to find those folks everywhere.

Best advice: Find your job, rent a nice place for 6 months near that job while wife finds her job, then look to buy. Plan on staying in that house for a minimum of 5 years (better if you can plan on more) before you have to sell it. Those screaming bargains will be around for a long time, which means you can shop around and not miss out. It also means that once you buy it, you're stuck with it for the long haul.

No you are not crazy - but 3-4 days of the heat really won't give you an idea of your tolerance unless your tolerance is zero. Another reason to rent before you buy is to be sure about that weather issue. A high percentage of people who relocate to Phoenix leave within 3 years (in the eighties it was 3 of every 5 leave within five years - it's lower now, I'm sure, but still significant). The two main reasons stated for leaving are the heat and they miss their families.

Old 05-16-2011, 02:57 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,778,755 times
Here is a nice house with a big lot, close to everything, good schools, reasonable taxes, and very good bones. Less than 50,000. Most folks that bought 1 br condos during the peak, are a lot more upside down than 50K.
4205 N 19th Pl Phoenix AZ - Foreclosure for Sale - MLS #4584126 - Realtor.com®

It would be really tough to lose on a deal like this--even if you hated Phoenix and went back to CT. Rent would be 800. 10 minute walk to Trader Joe's. Homes of the future will be closer in, and smaller.

What exact lot size are you looking for? To a rancher my 7244 square feet may seem like a postage stamp, but compared to Vegas or many of the newer homes it is very spacious.
You may or may not want to avoid All-Star weekend in early July, and you will love a hotel/motel with a good swimming pool.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Do you fly or drive to your sales calls? Fountain Hills may be a bit of a pain to get to the airport, and not too close to the major freeways either. If you are going to be going into an office with any frequency, find the job before you find the place to live. Commuting is not a great deal of fun in the Valley of the Sun.

Those screaming bargains will be around for a long time, which means you can shop around and not miss out. It also means that once you buy it, you're stuck with it for the long haul.
I would likely drive. Typically and ideally, I would manage a given territory consisting of either a large city or two, up to several states, and work/travel from a home-based office. Size of sales territory is based on the scope of demand.

Regarding buying when the market is down; I would rather buy low and have to sit, then buy high (like I did here in 2006) and own a home worth substantially less than what I paid for it. Thankfully I put a large percentage down and I am not underwater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Here is a nice house with a big lot, close to everything, good schools, reasonable taxes, and very good bones. Less than 50,000. Most folks that bought 1 br condos during the peak, are a lot more upside down than 50K.

What exact lot size are you looking for? To a rancher my 7244 square feet may seem like a postage stamp, but compared to Vegas or many of the newer homes it is very spacious.
You may or may not want to avoid All-Star weekend in early July, and you will love a hotel/motel with a good swimming pool.
LOL...it is just unfathomable to me that a decent, albeit small, home can be had for $50k!

As far as lot size goes, not sure, maybe a 1/2-full acre or so...? Really more than lot size, I would really just desire a little space from my neighbor. Many of the homes I see listed are built in extremely close proximity.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Nice house? Big lot? Did you look at the photos?

Might be a great deal for an investor, but I doubt these folks are gonna find it attractive.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corso View Post

Regarding buying when the market is down; I would rather buy low and have to sit, then buy high (like I did here in 2006) and own a home worth substantially less than what I paid for it. Thankfully I put a large percentage down and I am not underwater.

I completely agree with you - but the market is going to be down around here for a long time. Take at least 6 months to rent. You'll be thankful you did, and end up with a beautiful home in the perfect location FOR YOU at a still incredible bargain price.

It's not going to turn around here for another 2-3 years, at least. If living in an apartment is putting you off, don't worry - there are lots of houses available for rent.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:01 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,986,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I completely agree with you - but the market is going to be down around here for a long time. Take at least 6 months to rent. You'll be thankful you did, and end up with a beautiful home in the perfect location FOR YOU at a still incredible bargain price.

It's not going to turn around here for another 2-3 years, at least. If living in an apartment is putting you off, don't worry - there are lots of houses available for rent.

Best advice is to rent and then take your time to find the right community for you.

I consider (and others don't) the whole area as "The Valley". From Phoenix outward in almost all directions. The cities seem to blend together into one big megatroplis. But each city may have a distinct personality. But at times it is very difficult to determine what city you are in.

I personally like Gilbert. But that is just my preference.

Although some homes can be purchased in some areas as regular city homes - like back East, most newer homes with some exceptions are in what is called an HOA - Home Owners Association. HOA's have been discussed here in other posts. There are pros and cons about HOA's. But do read up on them if you purchase any home in any HOA. Each HOA is separate and distinct with it's own "constitution". Some state laws cover what an HOA can and cannot do. All HOA's have monthly or quarterly or annual fees above and beyond real estate taxes.

Some people want a gated community for security and other reasons. Some gated communities have a uniformed person at gate to monitor all who enter community.

View any crime statistics with some thought. In the news a few months ago one police chief was fudging statistics upward for funding or increase personel reasons.

If you are seeking a home with a large yard - those are fewer in the Valley then back east. Most (not all) homes built in the last 20 years have small yards and block walls all around. Many homes are built quite close to each other and noise and barking dogs can be an issue. Parking of cars can be an issue in some HOA's as some streets are narrower and driveways and garages are short. Some builders offer "extended" garages. If you find one of these in a home it can be a great advantage.

Two story versus one story. Back East two story homes are quite common. In Arizona the two story home is a relatively new phenomenon. Just remember heat rises. The cost to heat and cool a two story home may be greater then a single story home. But let others chime in on this one as this is only my opinion. Basements are rare in this part of Arizona. So storage becomes an issue for many. That stuff you have in basement back East now has to find a place in a home with no basement. Storage of stuff can become an issue.

Traffic as with any large city can be a nightmare. But I have driven through Hartford enough times to see gridlock back there. The Valley does have some newer highways (the 202) to ease some congestion.

All is why I state to rent for 6-12 months to get a feel of all communities.

Distance to airport is important to some. The further out the less modes of transportation to and from the airport. Although most communities do have some form or private shuttle or airport pick up.

Arizona is beautiful in the Spring and some vegetation blooms much of the year. But shade is a luxury in this part of Arizona. And in Summer it does get hot.

If you plan to have children then do check out where and what playgrounds are available and within walking distance. And do some research on public and private local schools where you finally end up.

Best of Luck.

Old 05-16-2011, 06:27 PM

Jkgourmet & unit731, thanks for the thoughtout replies. The advice on renting first is good, and I will try to adhere to this.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Really silly question, forgive me but, do people close up their pools in AZ in the "winter" or leave them open all year long?

Old 05-17-2011, 12:29 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,651,685 times
Most leave them open (we do) I think. Lots less chemicals, of course, with lower temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area