Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 11:12 AM

5 posts, read 6,623 times

Advertisements

I moved to southwest Glendale a few months ago and currently work from home (I do tech consulting work), however I am currently looking at seeking out a job where I would need to commute to an office, the area I live doesn't have much options for my line of work so the closest openings I am finding are usually between the I-17 and 50, either around downtown or north of downtown. I know the commute can be bad some ways so I'm wondering how long a commute to these areas would likely take and what are the most commute-friendly directions to go from southwest Glendale? Thanks for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 11:18 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
Do you mean SW Glendale like out by Luke, south of the stadium by the 101, etc?

It's generally doable (I commuted from the arrowhead area to the areas you are mentioning for a while)

Not sure if you will find much that is "commute friendly" - but may be able to offer some shared experience if I had a better handle on what SW glendale means

Old 05-19-2011, 11:22 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Agree with Finger Laker. We need a little more info (major cross streets would do it) to give you the best guidance and options.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:23 AM

Yes, I am slightly south of the stadium, right near the 101, if I drive a quarter of a mile south I am in Phoenix (Bethany and 75th ave are my major crossstreets)

Old 05-19-2011, 11:48 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
Then you'll have some decent options - could cut down to I-10 in a couple different ways (101 to 10 or surface to 10) ..... I know it used to bottleneck getting onto I-10 coming down the 101 in the mornings, so you may be better off running surface if you need I-10

Once on the 10 you'll meet heavy traffic from around 83rd ave to 51st avenue and then it opens up a little bit through downtown

IMO, the biggest issue I had with commuting to the mid-town area north of I-10 was getting back on the freeway at night .... with the 7th st/7th ave being the only non-HOV options for everyone in both downtown and mid-town there was often slow process to get near the ramp and a long wait once there

I-17 is fine for the reverse commute (North in morning / south at night) if you needed to connect into it

Thomas is pretty rough for commuting as far as surface streets are concerned - the grand intersection is lousy and at night there is a long backup of cars trying to connect to I-17 .... mcdowell isn't much better

If you're in an area where you can run Bethany, Camelback, Glendale going east it's not that bad .... probably about 20 minutes from 75th to I-17 on any of those roads

I would guess that 30-45 minutes would get you within range for most of area you described

Another option could be running bethany home to near the spectrum mall and hoping on the light rail as they have a park & ride there - I would guess about 30 minutes to get to the park & ride and I'm not sure the time it takes to get downtown or anywhere else

Old 05-19-2011, 02:35 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Then you'll have some decent options - could cut down to I-10 in a couple different ways (101 to 10 or surface to 10) ..... I know it used to bottleneck getting onto I-10 coming down the 101 in the mornings, so you may be better off running surface if you need I-10

Once on the 10 you'll meet heavy traffic from around 83rd ave to 51st avenue and then it opens up a little bit through downtown

IMO, the biggest issue I had with commuting to the mid-town area north of I-10 was getting back on the freeway at night .... with the 7th st/7th ave being the only non-HOV options for everyone in both downtown and mid-town there was often slow process to get near the ramp and a long wait once there

I-17 is fine for the reverse commute (North in morning / south at night) if you needed to connect into it

Thomas is pretty rough for commuting as far as surface streets are concerned - the grand intersection is lousy and at night there is a long backup of cars trying to connect to I-17 .... mcdowell isn't much better

If you're in an area where you can run Bethany, Camelback, Glendale going east it's not that bad .... probably about 20 minutes from 75th to I-17 on any of those roads

I would guess that 30-45 minutes would get you within range for most of area you described

Another option could be running bethany home to near the spectrum mall and hoping on the light rail as they have a park & ride there - I would guess about 30 minutes to get to the park & ride and I'm not sure the time it takes to get downtown or anywhere else
To downtown, it's about 20 minutes on the light rail, less than that to "north of downtown". A good option to save on gas and any parking expense downtown! http://routes.valleymetro.org/timeta...t_route?type=1

Old 05-19-2011, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the helpful info, the light rail would be good if it went right to where I would be working but the companies I have been looking at seem to be spread around that area so I'm not sure if it would be exactly downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: