Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,443,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by britishbees View Post
Ah, now that had not occurred to me. We have lots of lizzie the lizards as I call them and maybe that is what is helping. There is one particular roach every night I get whilst sitting on the patio - I chase him away every time. Don't think he has got the message yet that this is my turf. May have to end up squishing him!!!!

I know some of you have said you don't bother spraying. Do you think it is worth doing it on a bi-monthly basis? I have seen one bug in the house and I do get a few ants(yeuch) but touch wood that is about it.

If it isn't broken, I'd say don't fix it.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 AM

99 posts, read 259,413 times
Try using a broadbased prevention plan for preventing black widows and scorpions into the house. The last thing you want is a child not being able to sleep because there was a scorpion in their room.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PheenixJobless View Post
Try using a broadbased prevention plan for preventing black widows and scorpions into the house. The last thing you want is a child not being able to sleep because there was a scorpion in their room.
Would you care to elaborate on what you consider a "broadbased prevention plan"? Some details would be helpful to the OP and others reading this thread.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,206,891 times
No black widows.

Just a big ol' snake about an hour ago.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:45 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,231,909 times
I'll tell you from experience...We were shocked with how many Black Widows we had in our yard when we arrived in Phoenix. I didn't think I was going to be able to handle it with the twenty or so cobwebs and black widows I found in my yard and they kept coming back.

I then hired an exterminator and since then I have never seen a black widow in my yard again. Gone are the crickets and all the other bugs that attracted them to my yard. Our yard is an oasis now that the black widows are gone when before it was a nightmare and I didn't enjoy it as I kept finding black widows all over everything.

Get an exterminator and your problems will be solved.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I'll tell you from experience...We were shocked with how many Black Widows we had in our yard when we arrived in Phoenix. I didn't think I was going to be able to handle it with the twenty or so cobwebs and black widows I found in my yard and they kept coming back.

I then hired an exterminator and since then I have never seen a black widow in my yard again. Gone are the crickets and all the other bugs that attracted them to my yard. Our yard is an oasis now that the black widows are gone when before it was a nightmare and I didn't enjoy it as I kept finding black widows all over everything.

Get an exterminator and your problems will be solved.
Exactly, as stated earlier, exterminating (or lizards ) get rid of the food source-- they won't stay if the food source is gone.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:32 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,231,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Exactly, as stated earlier, exterminating (or lizards ) get rid of the food source-- they won't stay if the food source is gone.
Something that has worked wonders if you are not into chemicals is food grade diatomaceous earth (NOT THE SAME AS DE FOR YOUR POOL). It is non toxic (you can eat the stuff) and it kills crickets quickly. I used it under my plants and the crickets run from it they hate it so bad.

I ordered a bag off the internet and it worked wonders on the crickets.

Last edited by LBTRS; 05-27-2011 at 03:01 PM..

Old 05-27-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Something that has worked wonders if you are not into chemicals is food grade diatomaceous earth. It is non toxic (you can eat the stuff) and it kills crickets quickly. I used it under my plants and the crickets run from it they hate it so bad.

I ordered a bag off the internet and it worked wonders on the crickets.
Good idea... I'll pass on eating it, though, food grade or not!

Reminds me of mixing boric acid granules and flour and putting it along baseboards in kitchens and bathrooms to get rid of roaches inside (we had no pets or small children to get into it) . Now, someone makes the same thing as a commercial product (or at least that's what Walgreens told me years ago the last time I tried to buy boric acid).

Old 05-27-2011, 03:12 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,165,868 times
Years ago when living in Los Angeles, we used a company called FleaBusters. The material they used was a combination of boric acid and diatomaceous earth. Non-toxic and highly effective. I'm surprised more people don't use things like that...

Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 PM

99 posts, read 259,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Spraying for black widows doesn't work unless you hit them. It does cut down their food supply. Make sure you clear all corners, inside and out, look for the messy webs, which only they make.

In Tempe, they will come and put chemicals in the sewers in your neighborhood if you report a roach issue. I don't know if they will do that anywhere else. I haven't seen an earwig in years, we saw them all the time around the house I grew up in in Phoenix.
You are correct, they need to be hit directly. If it is susupected there is a colony, I would recommend hiring a professional for a full service treatment. The reason not to spare expense is to prevent the medical bills down the road.

On a similar note, the individual may want to consults with a local store to get a better understand for their issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area