Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 08:17 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,086,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
I sure would like to know, we had one in our garage last fall, winter...I just watched her move around her web and would purposely make sure she was still there when I went out there, not once did she lunge at me...she was not menacing in the least and I think kept the rest of the creepies away, we didn't have any in the house
What Are the Treatments for Spider Bites? | eHow.com
Here is for anyone who would like to know protocol for spider bites. I would bet a doctor would want you to have something with Diphenhydramine like Benadryl in case of an allergic reaction as well as itching. Some cold packs and some anti bacterial because of staph infection for kids especially because they scratch at it more. An epi pen for a bee attack if you have an allergy to bees.
I would always contact a doctor within 24 hours of a black widow bite, scorpion sting, or killer bee attack if more than a couple of stings had occurred and of course a brown recluse although not a lot happen in Phoenix if the victim is someone under 8 or over 70. Just as a precaution. You never know how they would react, they could have an allergy or sensitivity.

LMAO Granny.........you spider petter you! Sometimes it sounds like you live like Doctor Doolittle when it comes to critters.

Last edited by twiggy; 05-30-2011 at 09:16 AM..

Old 05-30-2011, 08:39 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,874,916 times
For the roaches try Diatomaceous earth mixed with a bait that attracts them. As roaches, ants or other insects attracted to this mixture ingest this mixture, as it moves through the digestive system of the critters sharp spurs perforate the intestinal walls causing dehydration and death. It will work on mice also.

Dusting the web of a Black Widow Spider would PROBABLY also cause their death but UNLESS you are expert enough to identify various spider webs you might also kill beneficial spiders. Some spiders prey on Black Widows.

Pest control companies usually rely on poisons and chemicals because they are easy. Your local extension agent may recommend an Entomologist who can solve your problem.

GL2

Old 05-30-2011, 09:15 AM

523 posts, read 938,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
For the roaches try Diatomaceous earth mixed with a bait that attracts them. As roaches, ants or other insects attracted to this mixture ingest this mixture, as it moves through the digestive system of the critters sharp spurs perforate the intestinal walls causing dehydration and death. It will work on mice also.

Dusting the web of a Black Widow Spider would PROBABLY also cause their death but UNLESS you are expert enough to identify various spider webs you might also kill beneficial spiders. Some spiders prey on Black Widows.

Pest control companies usually rely on poisons and chemicals because they are easy. Your local extension agent may recommend an Entomologist who can solve your problem.

GL2
I tried this at one time and I found the Diatomaceous earth attracted other species as well. What is important is for the right mixture at the right placement. For example, you can place it in areas where specific physical barriers can prevent access to certain species.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:55 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,166,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
I tried this at one time and I found the Diatomaceous earth attracted other species as well.
Interesting. What species did it attract?

Quote:
What is important is for the right mixture at the right placement.
What would you say, specifically, is the right mixture and the right placement?

Quote:
For example, you can place it in areas where specific physical barriers can prevent access to certain species.
I don't understand what you're saying here. What does it mean, please?

Old 05-30-2011, 10:59 AM

73 posts, read 267,767 times
Be careful when using the double sided tape that they sell at Home Depot and Lowes to capture the little critters.

I laid the tape down one night hoping to come back the next morning to find it filled with bugs and spiders or even a scorpion. To my horror instead I found a small gecko all wrapped up in the death trap I had inadvertently laid for him the night before. I've seen lots of bad stuff on numerous deployments, but in spite of this (or maybe because of it) I was really torn up over this little lizard.

It took the better part of the morning using a mixture of light soap and slightly warm water, along with the softest and smallest brush I could find. After a lot of very delicate work I finally freed him from the tape. Needles to say I threw out the remainder and just hope the little guy will eat all the bugs for me from now on.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:10 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,166,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveytheRabbit View Post
Be careful when using the double sided tape that they sell at Home Depot and Lowes to capture the little critters.

I laid the tape down one night hoping to come back the next morning to find it filled with bugs and spiders or even a scorpion. To my horror instead I found a small gecko all wrapped up in the death trap I had inadvertently laid for him the night before. I've seen lots of bad stuff on numerous deployments, but in spite of this (or maybe because of it) I was really torn up over this little lizard.

It took the better part of the morning using a mixture of light soap and slightly warm water, along with the softest and smallest brush I could find. After a lot of very delicate work I finally freed him from the tape. Needles to say I threw out the remainder and just hope the little guy will eat all the bugs for me from now on.
Oh, yikes. I'm amazed you were able to free him without any damage. Good for you!

Old 05-30-2011, 11:12 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,697,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveytheRabbit View Post

Good story, Harvey. I placed some glueboards in my garage by the door to prevent roaches and scorps from entering, but I caught a small snake instead. Was able to remove him quickly with vegetable oil and then transported him to an open area.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:53 PM

22 posts, read 41,415 times
Quote:
I tried this at one time and I found the Diatomaceous earth attracted other species as well. What is important is for the right mixture at the right placement. For example, you can place it in areas where specific physical barriers can prevent access to certain species.
I'm not completely clear, but you can try to use it as a bait to form other traps for things which might be in your house. For example attracting one type of species will bring their predator out.

Using the chain rule (food chain) can help to get hard to catch things out of your walls.

Old 05-30-2011, 03:55 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,312,051 times
Let's discuss spider bites. There are essentially two types you have to be concerned with: Brown Recluse and Black Widow. Brown Recluse is the one you have to worry about. They are typically found in the Midwest in barns and wooded areas but they are found here as well. Their bite is necrotic and can be very painful. You should go to the ER for one of these bites. They can be significant. The wound needs to be treated.

With Black Widow bites, they are painful, but most of the time they are fairly harmless (aside from the pain of course). With Widow bites, people can have systemic (overall body) reactions like tachycardia but that is rare. If a person endures a Widow bite, watch him or her and observe if the person is tachycardic (fast heart rate) and sweating etc. If they seem to have those reactions, then go to the ER. One note, anyone in pain is going to have their heart racing and probably sweat a little. That is understandable but if the person is still experiencing that after the pain has subsided somewhat, and ice has been placed on the wound, you should take them to the ER.

Old 05-31-2011, 01:39 PM

22 posts, read 41,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Let's discuss spider bites. There are essentially two types you have to be concerned with: Brown Recluse and Black Widow. Brown Recluse is the one you have to worry about. They are typically found in the Midwest in barns and wooded areas but they are found here as well. Their bite is necrotic and can be very painful. You should go to the ER for one of these bites. They can be significant. The wound needs to be treated.

With Black Widow bites, they are painful, but most of the time they are fairly harmless (aside from the pain of course). With Widow bites, people can have systemic (overall body) reactions like tachycardia but that is rare. If a person endures a Widow bite, watch him or her and observe if the person is tachycardic (fast heart rate) and sweating etc. If they seem to have those reactions, then go to the ER. One note, anyone in pain is going to have their heart racing and probably sweat a little. That is understandable but if the person is still experiencing that after the pain has subsided somewhat, and ice has been placed on the wound, you should take them to the ER.
The problem is, I don't think most people know about whether to treat for Arizona's brown recluse or the black widow. Most are not educated enough, and in the heat of the moment they cannot act correctly. While it is true that the effects of the poison spread through small children more easily, it isn't always isolated to small children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area