Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:30 PM

53 posts, read 131,715 times

Advertisements

Hello Everybody,
My husband and I recently bought a house in Dobson Woods and moved in on May 16 from Montclair VA. Water bill for the period April 12 (when previous owner vacated the property) through May 5, 2011 is $620.97. Previous reading is 196, current reading (on May 5) is 338. We flew in on May 16 evening and no one lived in the house after the previous owner left on April 12, even though a neighbor had the keys.
Our house in Emerson Circle is next to Woodglen Park which I noticed has water sprinklers all over running each AM for long periods of time. Is there any way for those sprinklers to use our water? Our house has a lot of 8,000 sq ft which is mostly occupied by the pool and has some shrubs on the side so not much water consumption there either.
I called Mesa customer support at 644-2221 several times. Once on May 16th AM when we were still in Montclair and was told that the consumption is huge and that maybe the house has a major leakage that we have to check when we arrive. Which we did. Next day after our arrival, on TUE the 17th, we called our real estate agent who called the home inspector who said he did not see any problems with the plumbing. He recommended a licensed plumber who literally for half a day checked the house inside out, the meter, the pool, everything and he said he saw nothing wrong with the house water system. He then called the same number we did and talked for a long time with the customer supp agent explaining that the water we are being charged for can fill out 3 large pools. Where did all this water go?, he asked the agent. On the other hand, our restate agent found that previous owner's water bills did not exceed $150. We also talked with the neighbors who said the same thing. The plumber told us that the meter was changed in October two years ago and in his opinion this is a clerical error that somehow the numbers were transposed. How can we prove this to the City of Mesa which is charging us with this amount?
Current charges are past due after May 27th and we still don’t know what else to do.
Please help us with any piece of advice you might have as to what are our chances to wave this fee or part of it and what are the steps we should follow. Thank you,
Cornelia

Old 05-25-2011, 01:49 PM

152 posts, read 521,241 times
Call a news station or newspaper about it, I'll bet they don't want to be talked about ripping someone off!

Old 05-25-2011, 02:00 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,787,475 times
What day did you become owner of the house?

Old 05-25-2011, 02:29 PM

2,155 posts, read 5,185,381 times
One question I would ask is "Did the water company come out and read the meter when the home was transfered to you on May 16?", If not why not? When they establish new service, you in this case, they should have read the meter.

With the amount of water usage in such a short period of time, you should be able to watch the meter (record the number) over a period of hours and see a change. Then multiply by days/ hours to see if the number jibes.

The amount of water they claim, 196K to 338K (142K) is enough to fill 10 larger swimming pools.

I agree, with the commenter that said call one of the local TV stations, but first you must document that you made every effort to resolve it with the water company.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:54 PM

Thank you all for your prompt reply. April 12 is the date the house became ours just that we had jobs in VA and could not come earlier than May 16. The plumber recommended to keep a log of water consumption for a week, which we did-reading the meter twice a day-AM and PM and numbers are normal. He adivsed to call him ASAP if we notice something unusual. We have the numbers all right the thing is how do we make the disputes agent when we go there tomorrow AM accept our word against their reading? THANK YOU!

Last edited by Endurance; 05-25-2011 at 07:05 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 07:03 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,241,227 times
When we arrived in Arizona to our new home I found neighbors on both sides of my property had hoses hooked up to my outside water faucets using my water. Luckily the service had not been transfered to me yet and the builder was still paying the water. Are you sure your neighbors have not been using it to fill their pools?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:07 PM

I am not sure. How can I prove it? THAT IS THE QUESTION? Thank you.
Cornelia

Old 05-25-2011, 07:08 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,787,475 times
500 deductible on your homeowner's insurance isn't going to help much. Did you check serial numbers on your meter?

Old 05-25-2011, 07:12 PM

97 posts, read 291,001 times
Ace Hardware has a device that screws on the end of your hose bib and then a place to padlock. Even if the water is turned on, not a drip of water will leak out. My neighbor from hell was stealing my water and my electricity when they first moved in. They removed one of my dusk to dawn floodlights and screwed in a plug adapter to get my power. Since it was dusk to dawn controlled, they could only get electricity at night. I am rarely surprised by anything anymore.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:29 PM

Default Meter Log for One Week

Yes we did keep a log for the past week with 2 readings one AM and one PM and nothing unusual showed-just normal consumption. Thank you.
Cornelia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area