Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 AM

9,792 posts, read 11,191,060 times

Advertisements

I currently love the fact that the Marley Park neighborhood in Surprise has an HOA fee that is $127 / month. It seems to be sorting out people who view $127 as expensive. I personally can see what I'm getting (manicured open spaces with weekly boulevard shrub maintenance, rec center, 2 pools etc). But it seems that $127 is too much for some even with high speed Internet included. PERFECT!! The neighborhood is therefore attracting the right buyers and renters.

The HOA is also extremely active and strict.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 06:20 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,011,857 times
There are many stable neighborhoods in the greater Phoenix/Mesa area.

You really have to drive around and view. This area is a more modern area where the streets are laid out in grids or blocks.

I have driven around extensively and each grid or block or neighborhood has it's own personality. I have found some of the older established neighborhoods to have many clean streets and homes. Older may mean 1970's and 1980's.

And then, of course, are the HOA's. Any vintage.

You can usually tell when a neighborhood was constucted by where the mail box is located (usually but not always). If there is a mail box on street at end of each driveway that means homes was constructed pre-1979 when the Post Office stopped delivering house to house. After that most developers went to the NDCBU type of mail delivery - pods for multiple homes. If the mailbox in located on the home itself - those homes are a bit older. As a general guideline.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:26 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,789,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post

You can usually tell when a neighborhood was constucted by where the mail box is located (usually but not always). If there is a mail box on street at end of each driveway that means homes was constructed pre-1979 when the Post Office stopped delivering house to house. After that most developers went to the NDCBU type of mail delivery - pods for multiple homes. If the mailbox in located on the home itself - those homes are a bit older. As a general guideline.
I guess it depends on the developer. Val Vista Lakes in Gilbert was started in1986 and they have the mail box in front of each house. All the homes here, even those built within the last few years have the mail box in front of the house.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:27 AM

9,792 posts, read 11,191,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Wealthy educated people with nice homes are pretty selective about who they rent to because they care about their home.

I can promise you that I've been in WAY to many Doctors, Lawyers, and engineers homes that are messy slobs. Generally speaking, I don't consider most Doctors, Lawyers,and engineers "wealthy" but I suspect you do. I visit peoples 2nd or 3rd home in Aspen or Scottsdale. They are never there and have people who do all of their work for them. They are wealthy and their homes are always kept up. Doctors and engineers are generally missing that all important zero after their net worth and can be too cheap to hire people with their busy schedules.

So your "wealthy and educated" usually live in a nicer neighborhoods but cleaning and upkeep may not be their strength. Everyone cares about their home. But do they care enough to keep it up?? We agree that on average nicer homes are kept up better than more basic homes. But don't fool yourself. Your neighbor one or two doors down could be secretly in deep Hawk getting ready to rent to anyyone before the bank kicks their highly in debt butt out on the streets. It's survival now. They too will rent to anyone.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:16 AM

8,272 posts, read 11,011,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I guess it depends on the developer. Val Vista Lakes in Gilbert was started in1986 and they have the mail box in front of each house. All the homes here, even those built within the last few years have the mail box in front of the house.

Good point.

After 1979 the Post Office gave ALL developers the option to construct NDCBU - pods OR mailboxes at end of driveway. That is true even today.

BUT - almost all developers since 1979 (with few exceptions - as yours) choose the NDCBU - pod.

Over the years I would view homes in developments and ask the sales people why no mailbox in front of homes in THEIR development and the standard answer was ALWAYS that the Post Office mandates this - which is not true. But, how does one try to explain Post Office delivery rules with a salesperson.

Another point is that developers in many HOA's somehow make the streets thinner and short driveways there is little room on street for visitors cars parked on street - making delivery to house to house difficult for a mail carrier - if car is parked in front of driveway mailbox.

So the bottom line is that most newer developments now have (with few exceptions) NDCBU - pods. Since 1979. Yours is the exception. And you should be thankful that your developer did place mail box in front of home.

Again, it is the choice of developer to choose between curbside delivery - mail box at end of driveway OR NDCBU- pods. And that is true today.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:27 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,456,095 times
Quote:
Good point.

After 1979 the Post Office gave ALL developers the option to construct NDCBU - pods OR mailboxes at end of driveway. That is true even today.

BUT - almost all developers since 1979 (with few exceptions - as yours) choose the NDCBU - pod.

Over the years I would view homes in developments and ask the sales people why no mailbox in front of homes in THEIR development and the standard answer was ALWAYS that the Post Office mandates this - which is not true. But, how does one try to explain Post Office delivery rules with a salesperson.

Another point is that developers in many HOA's somehow make the streets thinner and short driveways there is little room on street for visitors cars parked on street - making delivery to house to house difficult for a mail carrier - if car is parked in front of driveway mailbox.

So the bottom line is that most newer developments now have (with few exceptions) NDCBU - pods. Since 1979. Yours is the exception. And you should be thankful that your developer did place mail box in front of home.

Again, it is the choice of developer to choose between curbside delivery - mail box at end of driveway OR NDCBU- pods. And that is true today.
Excellent info. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Good point.

Thanks for the explanation. That's good information to have, and I am very thankful.

We have a great mail carrier and try to take care of her. Our sub-community is gated and she almost got hit by a car once. She stopped at the intercom/key box, and was stepping out of her vehicle on the right side when a car passed her on the right to get in front of her and use his remote to open the gate. He barely missed her.

So we gave her a remote control so she doesn't have to get out of her vehicle to use the intercom to get in. She's had this route for many years and knows everyone by name and address in each community on her route. (My wife talks to her often, and gets the local gossip )

Old 05-26-2011, 08:00 AM

10 posts, read 32,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Wealthy educated people with nice homes are pretty selective about who they rent to because they care about their home. They are not slum lords nor are they desperate. They do a background search on potential tenants. They require a certain credit rating. They require a one to two month deposit. They require evidence of a job (Pay stubs) or if they are unemployed they need evidence showing they can cover 6 months rent (bank statement). They require proof of renters insurance. Usually only quality renters can meet these requirements. These are not the type of people who just rent to anyone, they didn't acquire that nice home by being stupid.

And make no mistake, quality renters seek quality landlords. They want to see that a home was taken care of prior to being rented. They want to rent in a quality safe neighborhood. They want to see that the landlord make some concessions to providing a great experience such as paying for pest control and/or perhaps even lawn care. They want to know that if problems should arise, the landlord will take care of it in a timely fashion. Quality renters are not seeking the cheapest home they can find either. They are seeking quality as well and are willing to pay more for a better experience.
Well said azriverfan. My OH and I are renters. People rent for all different reasons in life. Some just don't want to own a home and for others it is a necessity. We arrived from the UK in November last year and obviously were not able to buy anything a) because we really did not know the areas and b) our credit rating is zilch!!! Back in the UK we rented because of the downturn in the market and figured that renting was a safer option for us.

We are quality tenants who seek a quality landlord. We have always treated the house as if it is our own, even going so far as to make certain improvements with consent. When our landlord first rented out his property a couple of years ago, he was careful in choosing BUT unfortunately ended up with people who did not care about the property or neighbours around them. Again, catch 22 when you are renting out who knows who is out there!

But I do agree you get some landlords who are just desperate to rent to anyone which to my mind is a catch 22 - will they pay the rent on time or upkeep your asset in the way you are accustomed to.

We have been lucky. We are in a lovely area, lovely neighbours, very quiet and a great landlord who we get on with. He can't do enough for us and in return we respect and upkeep the property accordingly - so win win in this case.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:01 AM

Wealth and education have absolutely nothing to do with character and cleanliness.

Bernie Madoff was wealthy and educated, yet he was the worst kind of crook. He ruined the lives of so many people by conning them into his fraudulent investments.

Proper use of the English language also does not mean that someone is a slob or of low character. Perhaps they could not afford an education.

And by the way, anyone deciding to rent their home out should be sure to read, understand, and comply with the Arizona landlord and tenant act.

Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act

Be careful about taking advice on a forum about how to screen tenants or charge deposits. If you use wrong information, you may get into serious trouble by charging too much deposit, or by violating the anti-discrimination laws.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:46 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,167,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Wealth and education have absolutely nothing to do with character and cleanliness.

Bernie Madoff was wealthy and educated, yet he was the worst kind of crook. He ruined the lives of so many people by conning them into his fraudulent investments.

Proper use of the English language also does not mean that someone is a slob or of low character. Perhaps they could not afford an education.

And by the way, anyone deciding to rent their home out should be sure to read, understand, and comply with the Arizona landlord and tenant act.

Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act

Be careful about taking advice on a forum about how to screen tenants or charge deposits. If you use wrong information, you may get into serious trouble by charging too much deposit, or by violating the anti-discrimination laws.
Indeed. Very well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area