U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 09:33 PM

7 posts, read 20,769 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to Arizona in a month! I've been hospitalized for a month, so I'm in dire need of some quick advice so we can get ourselves organized! We are professionals in our mid twenties. We lived in Arizona in the past and had a tough experience finding a nice apartment. We were living on the west side of Phoenix then and had our vehicle broken into while we were visiting family on Christmas break. We also had some ruckus neighbors who would hoot and holler from their balcony when I'd leave in the evenings, making me nervous when I was home alone. We are hoping to find a quiet and peaceful apartment complex in North Scottsdale.

Unfortunately we will not be able to visit complexes before moving out. I know there are several similar posts on the bulletin board. I have read all of them and some are outdated. I'm hoping to hear reviews from posters who can give us some quick advice!

I've been reading apartmentratings.com and freaking out a little bit, to be quite honest. The only two places that seem to have OK ratings are Paragon at Kierland and Las Hadas. The Paragon seems to be the most expensive option in all of Scottsdale. Las Hadas sounds wonderful, but the apartment complex next door seems to have a roach problem, which worries me.

Our budget is $1000 for a 2BR. I am very afraid of moving into a complex with a roach/scorpion problem. We are looking for a safe and quiet suburban apartment complex that is relatively new. Thank you in advanced for all of your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 06:40 AM

3,391 posts, read 6,688,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satilliteheart649 View Post
I know there are several similar posts on the bulletin board. I have read all of them and some are outdated. I'm hoping to hear reviews from posters who can give us some quick advice!

I've been reading apartmentratings.com and freaking out a little bit, to be quite honest. The only two places that seem to have OK ratings are Paragon at Kierland and Las Hadas.
Well, if you consider posts made within the past three months outdated, I suppose you might not find much discussion. This topic is always discussed here. Please use the advanced search feature and narrow the time frame. Trust me, there are plenty of current recommendations for apartments in Scottsdale.

Also, the apartment ratings websites are notorious for extremely negative comments. Disgruntled former residents with too much time are the primary contributors to those sites. I wouldn't put too much credence in those ratings.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:07 AM

1,271 posts, read 4,956,252 times
Paragon is definitely nice, but will be over your budget by a hair-I want to say they were going around $1150 or something like that. (Tho to my knowledge, the most pricey award goes to Desert Parks Vista at DC Ranch or the $2sf rentals they had been doing at City North.) Pretty much all apartments in the area will be ok, just some are nicer than others.

My reviews are all over the board here. You can post back here or pm me of you want info on a specific complex.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:03 AM

32 posts, read 145,070 times
We lived in North Phx (border of North Scottsdale) back in 07-08. We used to live in Sonterra apts on N Tatum. It was safe, no scorp/bug problems, no car break ins that we heard of and no unruly neighbors. The rents were approx 1100 for a 2 bed room, but I believe they've gone down now because of the general situation in Phx. The pool was good but the fitness center had old equipment. There were a few apts on Bell Rd which were good too. Overall the intersection of Tatum and Bell is a decent neighborhood.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:44 AM

Thank you for the tips! I will certainly search more carefully. It is very confusing because there are so many complexes in North Scottsdale. As I mentioned, I am interested in Las Hadas, but am weary because it is surrounded by so many apartment complexes. It's so hard to make the decision from across the country, and we so appreciate your input!!! Please post if you have any input about the area east of the 101 and north of thunderbird! Thank you!

Old 05-26-2011, 11:07 AM

190 posts, read 425,853 times
Default My apartments...

I had to move very quickly also from California to Arizona - and wanted to be kind of close to Mayo Clinic - the hospital and also the Scottsdale facility. I happened upon Villa Montana Apartments near the Ancala shopping center. I could not have made a better decision - the reasons I say that are varied.

One is that it's not snooty like the Kierland complex staff - just down to earth nice folks. My rent is cheap - I have a large first floor 2 BR apartment and a car port and a pet - my rent with the extras ends up 830/mo. My bedroom is large enough for my office and my queen bed and furniture - with walk in large closet and bathroom in the BR.

There is an exercise room open 24/7 with treadmill, a 'gym' thing with weights, free weights, recumbent bike and elipticals - granted it's small - but I go there often and am alone...

It's at Frank Lloyd Wright and Shea - putting you in a perfect location to commute in any direction - I can go 'up north' like north Phoenix or the Mayo hospital or Desert Ridge shopping in no time - can go to kierland, fountain hills, paradise valley - seems to me like any direction I can find what I need and I'm not in the car long at all.

Ancala is a block away - with 3 grocery stores, numerous restaurants, a dollar store, banks - it's all here and I don't even have to drive my car!

I'm now looking to buy a house - my first deal in Fountain Hills fell through - so am looking now in Phoenix for a home - but I'm so happy I chose these apartments - I feel very safe here and it's so affordable...

Good luck to you!

Oh and about bugs - I too am terrified of scorpions - and when the maintenance guy said they don't have them here (but did at the last complex he worked at) - he meant it - no one I've spoken too and I myself have not had any at all. Roaches - well they made a special pest guy come in and powder areas under sinks etc. once because they said someone complained in my building of 'sewer bugs' - so I tried not to freak out and let them do their thing. About 2 days later I saw one slow moving bug in my kitchen... I didn't scream == but flushed it goodbye - and hoped that was the end of that. I guess it's kind of rare to not have this pest intrude no matter where you live around here - or so I've been told. I have not been bothered with this problem - one bug in 10 mos.....

Last edited by SloCoChef; 05-26-2011 at 11:18 AM..

Old 05-26-2011, 11:12 AM

Thanks SloCoChef! I will definitely look into that area... I wanted to also throw out there that I did visit the Kierland area apartments (Tradition and Legacy) while I was there over winter break. I enjoyed them and was hopeful, but was discouraged when I read reviews online of how people apartment rent out their units seasonally which results in having sometimes unruly guests who are mostly concerned with partying into the wee hours of the night. Maybe someone can set me straight... are those place really full of partyers and transient crowds? I think I may be thinking too much about this! Thank you again- we know we will be in the area for 3-4 years, and we have spent the last couple of years moving every 12 months, so we really NEED to settle into a nice place!

Old 05-26-2011, 11:35 AM

190 posts, read 425,853 times
Default Kierland

I'd read that Paragon or something like that at Kierland were nice - but there was a lot more money they wanted - hefty deposits for simply everything etc... and the lady looked at my jeans & t-shirt and said, 'are you sure you can 'afford' to live here (talking about her 1000 dollar rent) - I was like??? Showed her my last rent in CA was 1200 a month for years --- was totally put off by her snootiness and got the heck out of their (of course coastal CA people are generally super laid back with little to no pretense in my small fishing town lol)

So while I thoroughly enjoy my decision - it's not 'swanky' nice - but liveable nice ~ a great Asian restaurant, 3 nice italian ones, Tex/Mex one, lot's of fast food, dunkin donuts, Safeway, Albertsons, and Fresh n Easy, frozen yogurt, a mailing place, Chase bank, dry cleaners, a pre-school, the dollar store, car fix it place, oil change place, Walgreens, Ace Hardware - even my dentist - all right here...it's just a great neighborhood area. One of the ladies I see in the work out room has lived here 11 years! Her biggest complaint (& mine) is the incessant use of blowers for lanscape upkeep - almost daily! It doesn't last long - but I'm like how does some one get paid for blowing air day in and day out - accomplishing???? aside from noise pollution! It's a little thing - but a curious thing! And I'm not working now so notice things more perhaps!

I would think with the cheaper rent here you might get riff raff - but I haven't had any issues at all.... apartments always will vary as to the clientele they 'house' at any given time - just the luck of the draw - so either I picked a really nice situation - or am in a lucky window .... I tend to think I lucked out in choosing my place - I mean from coming in 'cold' as you are doing -

I trust you will do fine - whatever you choose - I took out a 10 m. lease just in case it wasn't a good pick - and it's been fine....

Hang in there - it can be stressful - but soon you'll be in your new place...

Old 05-26-2011, 11:48 AM

804 posts, read 1,860,152 times
I previously lived at the Tradition at Kierland Commons, Its super close to the paragon, also property is directly adjacent to the Legend at Kierland. Both are right across the street from the Westin Hotel.
I had a 1br and the rent was 870, I believe that the 2 bedrooms were just a hair under 1000.

I had a great experience there, they have a very nice sand beach entrance pool, was a pretty quiet place etc. Might be worth checking them out

Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 PM

Thanks for the info about the Paragon... it seems like the most expensive option that we've looked into! I'm looking for a nice neighborhood, and Villa Montana sounds like it is definitely in one!

Does anyone know of a major difference between the Tradition and Legend at Kierland? We visited both and enjoyed them. I'm glad to hear enigmadsm say that the Tradition was a quiet place! That was my biggest concern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area