Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 08:58 PM

421 posts, read 1,075,276 times

Advertisements

I didn't had any plans of buying a house before i moved to Chandler, but looking at the interest rate and under priced houses, i started looking for houses, and finally bought one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 09:32 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,756,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_new View Post
I didn't had any plans of buying a house before i moved to Chandler, but looking at the interest rate and under priced houses, i started looking for houses, and finally bought one
In spite of the "lease penalty" . . . VERY WISE DECISION.

Good Luck

Old 05-30-2011, 10:31 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,499,642 times
Quote:
In another thread, that you started today, about cost of painting a house, you said your new house will "probably" be a four bedroom, etc., etc.,. So have you actually bought one yet, or not?

Old 05-30-2011, 10:34 PM

421 posts, read 1,075,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
In another thread, that you started today, about cost of painting a house, you said your new house will "probably" be a four bedroom, etc., etc.,. So have you actually bought one yet, or not?

Closing in 2-3 weeks .... any particular reason for asking

Last edited by observer53; 05-30-2011 at 10:46 PM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 05-30-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
In another thread, that you started today, about cost of painting a house, you said your new house will "probably" be a four bedroom, etc., etc.,. So have you actually

Closing in 2-3 weeks .... any particular reason for asking
The reason is that in one thread you clearly say you've bought one, and in another one, you talk about what you are probably buying. For purposes of either of these threads, closing's a formality. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm still wondering why you signed a year lease when you were actively out buying a house, and then start this thread asking how to get out of something you agreed to a month ago.

Enjoy the new home.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:01 AM

72 posts, read 137,592 times
The best idea is to have a month-by-month lease. That's what we did last month. Our deadline for renewing the lease is 20th. We don't know when whether we will get the house, so we told the apartment we will go with 6-month renew. However, we have our offer accepted at 18th, and so we decide to change the lease term to month-by-month. More expensive, but you don't pay penalty. After our house is closed, we immediately notify the apartment we will move out in a month.

I suggest you contact the landlord to see if you can switch to terms like month-by-month. You may have to pay some fees to do that. Just do some computation and see if that's a better choice. \

Old 05-31-2011, 06:07 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,803,265 times
There is no incentive for the landlord to switch to month to month. The landlord will know you are doing it to get out of a lease, and won't agree. Just pay the two month penalty you agreed on and get on with your life.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:42 PM

162 posts, read 431,851 times
I've been in that situation and I say cut your losses and do whatever it takes to get out of the stupid lease. I'm sick and tired of the self righteous crowd out there beating us over the head with the law and contracts and crap. I've had my share of experiences with unflexible PITA landlords. In one case I literally paid off the entire price of the house during the time I rented. I was unemployed for a while and was offered a job accross country, and the landlord would not budge on a single thing even though we never missed a payment and did tons of work to maintain the house in good shape. I moved my whole family cross country in 2 weeks. When I had the opportunity to buy this house, I decided to take the opportunity and went for it, knowing that inspite of what I lost, I will never have to deal with another legalistic a-hole landlord again. At the time I decided to buy this house, when I called the landlord, I found out that the house was being foreclosed and he hadn't made a single mortgage payment during the time I rented from him. If your landlord was somewhat flexible, reasonable or had some heart, I wouldn't go that route, but seeing that she is in the PITA category, I say screw her! I have family that are landlords, and they're very understanding and don't make such a fuss about the whole "legality of the contract" thing. One of them told me that if a renter has been decent, didn't destroy the place, paid dutifully, if they found a house and decided to break the lease, he would just let them go without penalty. renters are not hard to find if you're a decent landlord. If you're a PITA landlord, well, people sense that, so no wonder they don't want to deal with you.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendesert View Post
I've been in that situation and I say cut your losses and do whatever it takes to get out of the stupid lease. I'm sick and tired of the self righteous crowd out there beating us over the head with the law and contracts and crap. I've had my share of experiences with unflexible PITA landlords. In one case I literally paid off the entire price of the house during the time I rented. I was unemployed for a while and was offered a job accross country, and the landlord would not budge on a single thing even though we never missed a payment and did tons of work to maintain the house in good shape. I moved my whole family cross country in 2 weeks. When I had the opportunity to buy this house, I decided to take the opportunity and went for it, knowing that inspite of what I lost, I will never have to deal with another legalistic a-hole landlord again. At the time I decided to buy this house, when I called the landlord, I found out that the house was being foreclosed and he hadn't made a single mortgage payment during the time I rented from him. If your landlord was somewhat flexible, reasonable or had some heart, I wouldn't go that route, but seeing that she is in the PITA category, I say screw her! I have family that are landlords, and they're very understanding and don't make such a fuss about the whole "legality of the contract" thing. One of them told me that if a renter has been decent, didn't destroy the place, paid dutifully, if they found a house and decided to break the lease, he would just let them go without penalty. renters are not hard to find if you're a decent landlord. If you're a PITA landlord, well, people sense that, so no wonder they don't want to deal with you.

This OP signed a year lease when evidently he or she was already actively looking for a house to buy. That made no sense to start with. A two month penalty, which was agreed to by the OP when the lease was signed, is not unreasonable. Your situation is not like this one at all, though it's an unfortunate one that a lot of people have found themselves in.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:31 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,274,661 times
I needed to move to Idaho last year ( IM BACK YAHOOOO!!!) anyway, my Rental office said to break my lease I would have to pay back 2 months worth of rent, the free month I was given, the current rent, and the 150 a month I was given off regular rates that a month to month renter would owe. $5500 dollars in all....OUCH, so I got on craigs list and found someone to take over my rent and finish out my lease. Not a sublet, but completely take over for me. I gave hime 1000 bucks to do it, and I took off the next day after the place was moved and clean. SO glad to be free of it. 2 months ago I signed a 4 month lease, Im getting ready to buy a home, which will probably take another month to 45 days. I recommend never signing a 12 month lease, as you just never know what your situration will be in 6 months anymore. The place I live has as little as 2 month leases, or just month to month to start. As far as the month left on my current lease....well the seller can take care of that for me, as per agreement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area