Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:18 AM

83 posts, read 850,312 times

Advertisements

young couple looking to mov to PHX area. We will both be living in PHX but would want to live in the surrounding area, away from the hustle and bustle. Away from the big city, but close enough for nightlife and entertainment. We are looking for a tract home, near grocery store, food, and shopping. Are glendale, scottsdale, mesa nice? HELP! We will be moving a yr from now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 09:44 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
There are nice areas in ALL the Phoenix suburbs, including the three you mentioned. You are going to get votes for all of them. You need to come out and take a look for yourself and spend as much time as you can getting a feel for the area. I'm a Tempe fan, but I like areas on the west side, too. Keep in mind that even the suburbs in Phoenix have traffic jams, etc. Many of them are good sized cities in their own right. I don't know where you're from, but the relationship between Phoenix and its suburbs is different than you would see in cities to the east.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:17 AM

162 posts, read 430,388 times
I live in Peoria and I like it. If you're in the NW side, you're close to Lake Pleasant, very nice neighborhoods (anything north or Cactus is pretty good in my opinion) School district is good compared to others around PHX. Rio Vista park is 5 minutes from our house at 101 and T-bird, beautiful park, great fishing for kids and grownups, it's right on a trail that goes to the Arizona canal trail, Awesome place to bike, jog for miles (I bike to the trail and then take the trail all the way to work once a week. That's 16 miles most of it along a waterway, without hardly ever crossing a road - there are tunels under the streets) Arrowhead mall area is pretty decent, nothing like the insane crap that goes down at Metrocenter. I think Peoria is more of a family bedroom community though. A good place to raise a family, but not too bad for young people either. The north side of Glendale is pretty good too, but not the south side... You mentioned nightlife, and that's one area I don't care for very much, so maybe somewhere close to Tempe would be better.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:25 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
You can find nice spots in all of them - especially for what you are looking for in that post (many offer residential tracts near service clusters - providing access to everyday shopping options, medical plazas, etc)

A lot will depend on what you like for nightlife & entertainment, where you will be working, what you like to do in the area, where you travel to (and the frequency of that travel), etc

The metro area is massive in size - you really need to visit to get the feel

Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,646,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyman View Post
young couple looking to mov to PHX area. We will both be living in PHX but would want to live in the surrounding area, away from the hustle and bustle. Away from the big city, but close enough for nightlife and entertainment Are glendale, scottsdale, mesa nice? HELP! We will be moving a yr from now
Whole area is "hustle and bustle/big city" unless you're far from metro Phoenix. Look at Prescott maybe--that area is much less congested and smaller.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:22 PM

701 posts, read 1,428,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
Whole area is "hustle and bustle/big city" unless you're far from metro Phoenix. Look at Prescott maybe--that area is much less congested and smaller.
The OP said they wanted to live in the Phoenix area -- telling them to look at Prescott is not a relevant response.

I would suggest North Scottsdale; it's quiet enough to not be so frenetic, but it's still close enough to downtown Scottsdale that you can go out on the town with very little travel time.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:29 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
The best Phoenix suburb is Mesa.

Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,056,700 times
please plan to come out here at some point before your move, rent a place for a month or three, and look around at the many, many options that fit your requests.....

or you could stay at one of these long-term style motels/hotels (Studio 6, MainStay, Marriott Residence Inn, Extended Stay America, and many other brands) and look around for several days.....

summer is cheaper if you rent for a while before committing to a place.....

if being away from the hustle and still being in the Phx area, is, as you say, important, then the fringe areas of the built-up urban area will be your only option, I guess.....far N Scottsdale, as suggested (if your budget allows), Cave Creek, New River, Litchfield, Avondale, Gilbert, Gold Canyon, Apache Junction, Fountain Hills all meet that requirement.....each varies greatly in price, consumer choices, prestige, attitude

Old 06-02-2011, 10:52 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The best Phoenix suburb is Mesa.
Even though I live i'n far east Mesa, I just gotta ask you, azRiverFan: why do you think that?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:06 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post

if being away from the hustle and still being in the Phx area, is, as you say, important, then the fringe areas of the built-up urban area will be your only option, I guess.....far N Scottsdale, as suggested (if your budget allows), Cave Creek, New River, Litchfield, Avondale, Gilbert, Gold Canyon, Apache Junction, Fountain Hills all meet that requirement.....each varies greatly in price, consumer choices, prestige, attitude
the OP is a self-described young couple who are also looking for some nightlife. They will find very little nightlife beyond the moviePlex i'n Avondale, apache junction, and litchfield. Even less i'n new river, gold canyon and fountain hills.

Prescott is too far away from Phoenix to have even been mentioned i'n this thread. So is new river and gold canyon, for that matter.

I'd ask that the OP give us a better idea of what he means by hustle and bustle. I lived i'n downtown Philly before moving to Phoenix i'n 1989. The only hustle and bustle I've seen i'n the state since then was at the airport and at a movie theater the first day Avatar opened. Each individual has a perspective.

Tonyman, give us YOUR perspective on what you define as hustle and bustle. But remember - rent first - at least 6 months, preferably more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area