U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 12:29 AM

2,336 posts, read 4,582,798 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I have spent time in Scottsdale in the past for my job based out of Scottsdale. It is near the Old Town area. I am enamored with Fountain Hills as a potential place of residence. My question is how long is the commute and what is the fastest way to and from Fountain Hills to Old Town ? I am unfamiliar with traffic on Shea which is the main route east from Fountain Hills to Scottsdale before going south. Am I better off cutting down the Beeline to East Camelback ? What is the best route to Old Town and how long best and worst case scenario if I end up choosing Fountain Hills ? Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 12:51 AM

17,909 posts, read 42,539,762 times
I think you would come to hate that commute. Traffic on Shea is heavy, the Beeline would actually take you out of your way, as you can't get on Camelback or Indian School from there, but end up further south, at McDowell. I can't give you a time estimate, but others can. Beware, the Fountain Hills travel time is notorious for underestimation by some on this board-- during normal commuting hours, the gap between those kind of estimates and reality will be even wider.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:55 AM

10,719 posts, read 19,968,176 times
I agree with Observer, the estimates are greatly exaggerated. We've heard things like 20 minutes to Fashion Square Mall and 20 minutes to the airport. Some of these claims are just ridiculous. Beware of those claims. Drive the route yourself. Fountains Hills is beautiful but the cost that comes with living there are the commute times and lack of ammenities immediately within it.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:04 AM

Thanks for the quick responses 53 and AZriver. That is disappointing to hear. I had hoped with Fountain Hills having a population of 30,000, there would be less traffic heading to Scottsdale on Shea. I know the Red Mountain PKWY is pretty brutal for gridlocks so is Fountain Hills atleast a better commute than say from Eastern Mesa ? Thanks.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:56 PM

9 posts, read 24,602 times
We live in Fountain Hills and just went to Old Town this past week and it was a 30 minute drive. I love the beeline. We live at the edge of town near the reservation. It is about a 6 minute drive to the Beeline. Then another 15 minutes on the Beeline to McDowell Rd. Another 5-6 minutes to Scottsdale Rd. then voila! At Old Town! This is a fact of driving with minimal traffic and no exaggerations. If there is more traffic, then yes, I suppose it may take you a little longer. My husband works in Gilbert and does a 30 minute commute there. It is worth every minute to live here in the quiet with the mountain views and serenity. I guess it all hinders on what you want out of your non-work time.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:28 PM

Thanks for your response. That is an encouraging post imagelfan. People I know personally have been pushing me to reside in East Mesa and I've been hesitant considering the potential traffic on Red Mountain PKWY to get to Old Town. Unsure of whether I'll rent or purchase a home later this year when I move out.I've researched both options in FH and am aware of the price ranges for rentals and homes/condos. Regardless, I am glad to hear it's a less congested commute from FH. I like that it's an hour from Payson which is a very scenic area. I am a fan of the green and temperate parts of Northern AZ and FH seems to have easy access to that as well for weekend getaways.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imamelfan View Post
We live in Fountain Hills and just went to Old Town this past week and it was a 30 minute drive. I love the beeline. We live at the edge of town near the reservation. It is about a 6 minute drive to the Beeline. Then another 15 minutes on the Beeline to McDowell Rd. Another 5-6 minutes to Scottsdale Rd. then voila! At Old Town! This is a fact of driving with minimal traffic and no exaggerations. If there is more traffic, then yes, I suppose it may take you a little longer. My husband works in Gilbert and does a 30 minute commute there. It is worth every minute to live here in the quiet with the mountain views and serenity. I guess it all hinders on what you want out of your non-work time.
Are you talking rush hour commute? You didn't say so, and I doubt it. To Gilbert, maybe, since you are going against traffic and you can actually access Gilbert Rd from the Beeline, 30 min to Gilbert. Coming from Ftn Hills to Old Town, it's ALL with traffic.

To the OP-- when you come out, before you buy or lease something, make the trip during commute hours yourself at least once. That's the best way to find out.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:38 PM

203 posts, read 482,655 times
I work out at the mayo in scottsdale and driving Shea every day, I would say you would have a good 10-20 minute drive to the 101 every day.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:24 PM

I will definitely take that advice Observer53. Generally, I will likely be commuting as early as 5 AM and leaving work as early as 3PM AZ time. That to my understanding is considered peak commuting time.

FH certainly seems to have cleaner air too. I have hiked up Camelback during my free time in trips out there in the past. You can see the smog over Phoenix yet it looks so much cleaner in the sky towards FH and the McDowells. See more pollution due east out towards Mesa and APJ too. I think the Superstition Mountains cause air stagnation over the East Valley where Mesa and APJ are. Just my opinion.

Despite hearing good things from people encouraging me to try East Mesa, it just seems that it's all built up and peaked. Whereas FH seems to of kept its charm without too much sprawl and strip malls. How long that continues to last remains to be seen for FH.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:44 PM

Actually, leaving at 5 AM, coming back at 3 is not peak time; the 5 AM start would help any commute, the afternoon for some reason is heavier earlier, but 3 PM would be way better than 5 PM.

Keep in mind that living in FH, you'll be driving a lot, to any kind of significant shopping or entertainment. If you like spending time in your car, then the tradeoff might be worth it. I would most certainly rent in FH for 6 months and see how it works out for you before doing anything more permanent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area