U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 04:38 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,242,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Absolutely no need to buy expensive paint for an indoor application like that.
I agree. I did most of my house with Valspar from Lowe's and it looks great. I had to do some touch-up in the one room that I'm not fully re-painting and the new trim in that room, and used Porter, because that's what the professional painter used on it a few years ago, and I wanted to make sure the sheen and color matched perfectly, so I stuck with Porter for that room. OMG that is the worst paint I've ever used, and it costs almost twice as much as Valspar. It's so thin it's like working with water. Drips all over the place, needs 3 coats on the new trim (pre-primed white). We're talking white on white, which should not take 3 coats to keep the primer from showing through. With Valspar I only needed one coat.

Even Walmart's cheapo paint that I used in the bathroom a few years ago was much easier to work with and gave better coverage than Porter and only needed one coat after priming. Haven't tried Benjamin Moore yet, as our closest BM dealer is about 45 miles from here, but I've heard great things about that brand. Don't know the cost though. Valspar was about $25. Porter was nearly $50 with tax. I used Glidden once and didn't care for it. The only thing I don't like about Valspar is that it stinks for a long, long time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 12:13 AM

426 posts, read 1,221,448 times
My wife and I were talking about the color in the bathroom again tonight.

She seems to think I only need to repaint the wall with the mural on it. I told her I thought the entire base color needs to change to something more neutral.

Any opinions?

Old 06-17-2011, 04:46 AM

17,643 posts, read 23,428,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme View Post

She seems to think I only need to repaint the wall with the mural on it. I told her I thought the entire base color needs to change to something more neutral.

Any opinions?
Looking back over this whole thread shows that virtually all of the replies said that painting the whole house was the thing to do. You want to sell your house as quickly as possible for top dollar, right? Why skimp on a couple of small walls and a few bucks of paint?

Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 AM

17,842 posts, read 39,856,439 times
Quote:

Any opinions?
Agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Looking back over this whole thread shows that virtually all of the replies said that painting the whole house was the thing to do. You want to sell your house as quickly as possible for top dollar, right? Why skimp on a couple of small walls and a few bucks of paint?
You can't just paint one wall in that bathroom and leave the rest. The other walls will look bad by comparison, and you won't be able to match the color and have it all look painted the same. Go neutral in the whole house.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Agree with you.

You can't just paint one wall in that bathroom and leave the rest. The other walls will look bad by comparison, and you won't be able to match the color and have it all look painted the same. Go neutral in the whole house.
Technically speaking I could match the color. I have enough left over paint to cover that entire wall.

Looks like I'll be painting it sooner than later. Thanks for the continued feedback here.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:42 PM

17,842 posts, read 39,856,439 times
Quote:
Technically speaking I could match the color. I have enough left over paint to cover that entire wall.

Looks like I'll be painting it sooner than later. Thanks for the continued feedback here.
That would depend on how long ago you painted the other walls, and whether they still look freshly painted or not. Just because you still have some paint, it won't necessarily match the remaining walls well enough.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:17 AM

20 posts, read 27,909 times
Paint a neutral color. Would be happy to make any other suggestions to improve the likelihood of a fast sale if you like.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
That would depend on how long ago you painted the other walls, and whether they still look freshly painted or not. Just because you still have some paint, it won't necessarily match the remaining walls well enough.
I painted the bedroom back in November, ugh. It kills me that I'm going to repaint it again so soon.

When I painted the bathroom, the prospect of changing employers wasn't anywhere on the radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area