Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 08:48 AM

2 posts, read 4,023 times

Advertisements

I am thinking to accept a faculty job at ASU in the tempe campus. My wife could get a job in tucson. We are not sure if Arizona is the best solution for us. If we relocate, we do not know if it is better to get two apartments and stay together only during the weekends or get just one apartment and me or her have to daily drive to work. How distant really are these two cities? is it a daily commute doable or simply too much? also, we now live in NYC, no kids. Which neighbor in phoenix or tucson do you recommend? need advices.
thnx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 08:50 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,237,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topomango View Post
I am thinking to accept a faculty job at ASU in the tempe campus. My wife could get a job in tucson. We are not sure if Arizona is the best solution for us. If we relocate, we do not know if it is better to get two apartments and stay together only during the weekends or get just one apartment and me or her have to daily drive to work. How distant really are these two cities? is it a daily commute doable or simply too much? also, we now live in NYC, no kids. Which neighbor in phoenix or tucson do you recommend? need advices.
thnx
116 miles or 2 hours apart. It may be doable if you lived in Casa Grande or someplace in between. I would never think about commuting from Phoenix to Tucson as 4 hours a day in the car is way too much.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:21 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,167,997 times
I simply cannot imagine anyone willingly doing a commute like that. It's over 100 miles between Tempe and Tucson, on I-10, and the drive is as "little" as 2 hours up to 2.5 hours one way.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:32 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,630,616 times
I've had some long commutes in my day, but that's outside a realm I would consider reasonable.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:18 AM

1,533 posts, read 1,593,499 times
My daughter did it for a year and a half as she finished up her BSN in Tucson thru NAU. It certainly wasn't any fun and she was lucky enough that her classes and clinicals were in the North part of town and we live in South Chandler, so that helped. Casa Grande would be a good option and there are lots of rentals down there for cheap.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:50 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,750,993 times
Several years ago I took a job in Tucson (we lived in NE Phoenix). I got an apartment there and came home on the weekends. Even the weekly commute was a horrible grind. I did that for about a year.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:32 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,889,028 times
One other point to consider. If you are from NYC, Casa Grande will not be a place you will enjoy. Even Phoenix will be a culture shock.

Minimal public transportation (even to the airport for gosh sakes!), restaurants close at 9pm (maybe 10pm on weekends) and there's no real ethnic neighborhood areas. (I moved here from Philadelphia and lived on long island prior to that.)

Don't misunderstand - this is a great place to live. But very, very different than NYC.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:01 PM

235 posts, read 756,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
One other point to consider. If you are from NYC, Casa Grande will not be a place you will enjoy. Even Phoenix will be a culture shock.

Minimal public transportation (even to the airport for gosh sakes!), restaurants close at 9pm (maybe 10pm on weekends) and there's no real ethnic neighborhood areas. (I moved here from Philadelphia and lived on long island prior to that.)

Don't misunderstand - this is a great place to live. But very, very different than NYC.
Great post, and I agree 100% I grew up in NY, moved to Phoenix in my mid teens. It does not have much to do for youth thats for sure, and compared to NY buffalo prob has more going on than Phoenix. Be prepared. And do realize the heat is a very big deal, and is abnormal. A drive from Tempe to Tuscon is not comparable to Jersey to long island. This is a long hot, and in some opinions very boring drive.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:08 PM

331 posts, read 957,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
My daughter did it for a year and a half as she finished up her BSN in Tucson thru NAU. It certainly wasn't any fun and she was lucky enough that her classes and clinicals were in the North part of town and we live in South Chandler, so that helped. Casa Grande would be a good option and there are lots of rentals down there for cheap.
Did she commute five days a week?

Old 05-18-2011, 09:17 PM

331 posts, read 957,238 times
I would never consider doing that commute. It should only be considered if the commute would be a maximum of three times per week. They have widened the lanes from 2 to 3 for a good portion of the highway from Eloy to Tucson, so that is beneficial. However, I think they are still doing construction closer to Tucson. Another point of concern is that there is only one major highway through Tucson. If your employment is not close to I-10, it will take you a very long time to travel along the surface streets once you exit the highway.

And, I would agree that Casa Grande would be a huge culture shock coming from NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area