Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 03:46 PM

426 posts, read 1,306,622 times

Advertisements

We plan on listing our house for sale in January and I'm doing some stuff around the house over the next six months that I know are needed.

One question my wife and I have is if we should paint the bedroom of our four year old and the shared upstairs bathrooms. Any opinions are appreciated.

Photos are attached below.
Attached Thumbnails
Realtor Opinions Needed:  Paint or Don't Paint-dsc_4695.jpg   Realtor Opinions Needed:  Paint or Don't Paint-dsc_4698.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 03:52 PM

584 posts, read 1,340,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicforme View Post
We plan on listing our house for sale in January and I'm doing some stuff around the house over the next six months that I know are needed.

One question my wife and I have is if we should paint the bedroom of our four year old and the shared upstairs bathrooms. Any opinions are appreciated.

Photos are attached below.

Why only realtor opinons ?
I am not a realtor and i do think you should paint it neutral color just to have afeel of brighter, bigger rooms. $50 and a few hours of work well worth it.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:24 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,488 times
How about a professional painters opinion.

Like Discovery said I'd paint it a neutral color because some buyers just can't see past cosmetic things like paint colors.Use a good paint as you'll only end up doing multiple coats with cheaper ones,I use either Sherwin WIlliams or Ben. Moore. You might want to prime first seeing as the pink and the mural will be harder to cover with a lighter color.Sherwin has a primer called Pro Block (use the latex version) and you can tint it to the finish color.I'd top coat it with either the Pro Mar 200 eggshell or the Cashmere Low Luster.You can DM me with any other questions,Good Luck.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
How about a professional painters opinion.

Like Discovery said I'd paint it a neutral color because some buyers just can't see past cosmetic things like paint colors.Use a good paint as you'll only end up doing multiple coats with cheaper ones,I use either Sherwin WIlliams or Ben. Moore. You might want to prime first seeing as the pink and the mural will be harder to cover with a lighter color.Sherwin has a primer called Pro Block (use the latex version) and you can tint it to the finish color.I'd top coat it with either the Pro Mar 200 eggshell or the Cashmere Low Luster.You can DM me with any other questions,Good Luck.
Thanks for the tips.

I buy all my paint at Benjamin Moore. For the bedrooms, I've been using their Aura line of paint and really happy with it. As a matter of fact I bought some Ben Moore Satin Impervo paint earlier today to repaint the doors and trim in the house.

If I do end up painting both rooms, which I probably will based on the early feedback, I doubt I'll use the Aura line of paint because its so damn expensive. The pink room is roughly 20x20 and is going to take a good weekend to prime and paint by myself.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:24 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,175,351 times
Yes paint. Even though those rooms are cute, the chances of finding someone else that appreciates your decorating is slim.

Show them a blank canvas. Let them imagine their own decorating.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:03 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,778,604 times
I agree to paint the rooms a neutral color, that matches the carpet.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJoeD View Post
Yes paint. Even though those rooms are cute, the chances of finding someone else that appreciates your decorating is slim.

Show them a blank canvas. Let them imagine their own decorating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I agree to paint the rooms a neutral color, that matches the carpet.
Thanks for the additional replies.

I plan on stopping by my nearest Pottery Barn and see if they have a paint wheel (think that's the right term) that has the latest colors in their current catalog. I think I'll have a good up to date neutral color that way and won't have to worry about picking the wrong shade of a neutral color.

My wife was hoping to avoid me doing more painting in the house, but I explained to her that if we want the house to sell quickly, we need to remove as many obstacles as possible and the paint in those rooms could be what keeps someone from wanting to make an offer on our house.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:49 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
I wouldn't worry too much about "in" neutral, as long as it's neutral. The more the wall colors either are the same or appear the same, the greater the illusion of one area flowing smoothly into another, and of more space... which is what you want any buyer to see. As was suggested upthread, it's hard for buyers to see past cosmetic stuff and change room colors in their heads to picture their own things in a house.

Those home staging shows that used to be all the rage really showed a lot about how neutralizing and DEPERSONALIZING (which involves mostly the decor items in a house, but paint can be involved, too) a house really helps sell it.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:55 AM

391 posts, read 788,052 times
Nothing like a well done, recent paint job and/or a bit of new carpet to get that new house smell!! Not sure but the paint people will tell you if you need a blocker over the pink. If I saw a bright pink room, I wouldn't run but that would factor into my wife's decision.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:54 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Paint. Those (like us) with no kids and no vision see rooms like this and immediately get turned off. I know this because it's happened several times - as much as we know it's an easy fix, we get an overall feeling about the house that is more negative than it really deserves. Not smart, but that is what our experience has been.

Those with kids and/or vision will see a neutral color and get creative. My advice is paint the room the same neutral color as the rest of the house. A nice fresh coat of paint in the entire house makes it easier for a buyer to fall in love with that house. With so many houses on the market, I'd call full interior paint job a requirement.

Just my 2 cents as a consumer, not a realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area