Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 12:32 AM

17 posts, read 129,873 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I received a photo radar "complaint" (it's not legally a ticket) in regards to a red light violation that occurred on April 7th in Chandler. I received it today, May 3rd, and the complaint was issued on May 1st. I read on several websites that the complaint must be mailed within 10 or 15 days from the date the violation occurred or it is void, but I can't find any confirmation of those claims in the Arizona State Legislature. However, on the Supreme Court of Arizona's website I found something saying:

Rule 42 of these rules has been amended (a notice of violation is void if its delivery is not initiated within ten days of the date of violation.) See below:
http://www.supreme.state.az.us/courtserv/rules/CVtraffic_detail.htm

My question is: is this complaint valid or void? If it's true that the notice of violation must be mailed within 10 days of the date of violation, it would be my understanding that it is void because they waited too long to mail it to me. However, I'm kind of confused as to whether or not that rule applies to my situation. Does anyone have any information regarding that?

I also found the following information (within the Arizona State Legislature):

A. Notwithstanding any other law, if a person receives a notice of violation in the mail for a violation of chapter 3, article 3 or 6 of this title or of a city or town ordinance for excessive speed or failure to obey a traffic control device that is obtained using a photo enforcement system, the person does not have to do either of the following:

1. Identify who is in the photo.

2. Respond to the notice of violation.

B. The notice of violation that is described in subsection A of this section must state the following:

1. The notice is not a court issued document and the recipient is under no obligation to identify the person or respond to the notice.

2. Failure to respond to the notice may result in official service that may result in an additional fee being levied.

C. For the purposes of this section:

1. "Notice of violation" means a notice issued by a photo enforcement company or municipality that is not a uniform traffic ticket or complaint.

2. "Photo enforcement system" has the same meaning prescribed in section 28-601.

I know that I am under no legal obligation to respond to the notice, and I know that if I am never personally served the ticket then I won't have to pay it. I would just like to know if any actual timeline exists that could work in my benefit in court in the event that I am served.

I appreciate the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 11:43 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,641 times
Did you run the red light? If so, pay the ticket.

Otherwise, do a search of the Phoenix forums and you'll find a huge number of almost identical threads with people railing against the system and trying to weasel out of paying their tickets. For some, it's practically a hobby.

And if you want actual legal advice, an anonymous internet forum is no substitute for an attorney.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:01 PM

17 posts, read 129,873 times
Thanks for your advice, but it's not a ticket and I won't pay it unless I'm officially served with a ticket in person. State law gives me that right. Don't bother replying if you have nothing constructive to contribute.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post

Otherwise, do a search of the Phoenix forums and you'll find a huge number of almost identical threads with people railing against the system and trying to weasel out of paying their tickets. For some, it's practically a hobby.

And if you want actual legal advice, an anonymous internet forum is no substitute for an attorney.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfernandez View Post
Thanks for your advice, but it's not a ticket and I won't pay it unless I'm officially served with a ticket in person. State law gives me that right. Don't bother replying if you have nothing constructive to contribute.
Actually, my advice was constructive. I provided three valid courses of action. It just wasn't what you wanted to hear. Good luck in your search for an answer you agree with.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:14 PM

582 posts, read 1,481,760 times
The system has been proven to be a scam. When ordinary people stop being so stupid as to pay up for these corrupt camera tickets and know their legal rights, the remaining cameras in existence will be removed.

Speed cameras all over the country are being challenged, and many removed. The people running the system are preying on stupid by the book people following their laws to steal money. The camera companies have lobbied many cities and states to form these joint money extorting ventures. These tickets are very expensive and intimidating.

Given the grid nature of the streets here in the Phoenix metro, and the heavy existance of surface street traffic, all of us get in a position where we either stop or run the light. An opportunity for private business and municipalities to exploit citizens was formed as it was seen as lucrative. This country is becoming more and more like a police state, and it is up to average citizens to wake up and fight it.

I don't think a derogatory flame against a poster for getting a photo radar ticket is necessary. He only has 14 posts, and probably didn't know about the other thread. Merely letting him know about it without acting like he is a bad person for not being a good two shoes would have been sufficient.

In doing some searches on line, there are some articles about the legality of such tickets, and what to do or not to do to avoid admission of guilt. There are some services in Phoenix that will advice you as to what to do.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:17 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfernandez View Post
Don't worry about her, some people love to give away due process to private companies ..... Maybe redflex was late getting yours out because of the investigations, change in leadership and corruption scandals going on........

I haven't heard of a time limit to send notice, although i think it's a fair question as to why our would take so long and why your case would skew from the norm

I know for a while you could find the redflex manual online and there were some dedicated websites they outline the process and your rights ..... I just haven't kept up with them since they junked them from the freeways and many munis also dropped the program ..... I rarely see one anymore

Old 05-04-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
The system has been proven to be a scam. When ordinary people stop being so stupid as to pay up for these corrupt camera tickets and know their legal rights, the remaining cameras in existence will be removed.

Speed cameras all over the country are being challenged, and many removed. The people running the system are preying on stupid by the book people following their laws to steal money. The camera companies have lobbied many cities and states to form these joint money extorting ventures. These tickets are very expensive and intimidating.

Given the grid nature of the streets here in the Phoenix metro, and the heavy existance of surface street traffic, all of us get in a position where we either stop or run the light. An opportunity for private business and municipalities to exploit citizens was formed as it was seen as lucrative. This country is becoming more and more like a police state, and it is up to average citizens to wake up and fight it.

I don't think a derogatory flame against a poster for getting a photo radar ticket is necessary. He only has 14 posts, and probably didn't know about the other thread. Merely letting him know about it without acting like he is a bad person for not being a good two shoes would have been sufficient.

In doing some searches on line, there are some articles about the legality of such tickets, and what to do or not to do to avoid admission of guilt. There are some services in Phoenix that will advice you as to what to do.
Sorry. It was not a flame, and nothing I posted even remotely suggested he was "a bad person." He asked about photo radar himself here three years ago. https://www.city-data.com/forum/15357861-post1.html People are entitled to disagree with others' opinions on an internet forum. And I did so in a civil manner.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:33 PM

216 posts, read 605,564 times
Quote:
The people administering the fine need to play by the rules just as much as the person who made the alleged offense. If their terms say it must be sent in 10-15 days, and it wasn't, there's no reason to pay the ticket. If there was no time frame to abide by, they could literally just stockpile tickets up without you knowing and mail them to you as a batch. How would you like to receive two dozen speeding tickets, dating back to 2002, that you didn't know you had accrued, and face a several thousand dollar fine?

These safeguards are in place for a reason and I think it's totally responsible of someone to determine if the people running the cameras are playing fair.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goober13 View Post
Can you elaborate on that? Other than receiving service of process, what other legal rights are there?

Old 05-04-2013, 02:34 PM

156 posts, read 420,190 times
Quote:

Palm to face
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area