Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 02:41 PM

73 posts, read 267,541 times

Advertisements

Does this sound right? They are small and flat and red, they look like the pictures of bedbugs I see online, but they assure me they are ticks. Why can't they get rid of them? They say they are using an organic chemical that does not harm humans at all, maybe it's not strong enough?

Also I have an extremely loud chirping sound in a tree outside. It is very, very loud and has been there for days. Is it a katydid? And how do I get rid of it?

Last edited by HarveytheRabbit; 06-27-2011 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 04:12 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,140,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveytheRabbit View Post
Also I have an extremely loud chirping sound in a tree outside.
Replace the battery. Trees need fresh batteries.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:26 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,422,460 times
I'd suspect a bird before I'd think of an insect. I don't know that we even have katydids here. And, if we did, aren't they called that because that's the sound they make? Not "chirp" ? This site doesn't describe any of them as making a "chirp" sound.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:53 PM

It's actually very strange. I've looked into that tree for 1/2 an hour and can't zero in on them and see where the sound is coming from. It sounds more like electricity sizzling, or a giant wasp flapping it's wings. It's a constant ZZZZZZZZZZ sound, so loud that it hurts your ears if you stand under it for too long.

They don't do it at night, only day. I'm wondering, the tree has what looks like bean pods all over, could it be those are baking in the sun and making a mexican jumping bean rattle effect?

I've shot the tree with a high powered water hose nozzle, and whacked it with a broom and it doesn't stop or even quiet down for a second or two. Any ideas?

Old 06-27-2011, 05:55 PM

1,533 posts, read 1,592,242 times
Sounds more like a Cicada to me. They are starting to tune up for the summer

Old 06-27-2011, 06:02 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
Yep. The sound of love.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:43 PM

39 posts, read 72,627 times
HtR...

Here's a link that will give you a brief overview of the low desert Cicada.

Cicadas in the Low Desert

Me thinks this is what you have in your tree. I lived in Maryland when the cicadas came out to make whoopie after their 17 year slumber in 2004. Now THERE was some noise!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:17 PM

46 posts, read 139,652 times
Cicadas sound right to me. Could maybe be a "Mockingbird", they make some strange sounds but I do believe it is Cicada time. Usually right before the monsoons start. If one is bothering you that much I feel sorry for you and I would get a good set of ear plugs for the up and coming event you are about to experience when all the Cicadas come out in another couple of weeks. It's pretty loud.
Ticks suck! Good luck with that adventure is all I can say.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Scot View Post
I lived in Maryland when the cicadas came out to make whoopie after their 17 year slumber in 2004.
I was that age once. I think I'll just deal with the noise and leave them to their business.

Old 06-28-2011, 04:29 PM

550 posts, read 1,127,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZPam View Post
I too think it is a Cicada. Now why they call that noise "le chant de la cigale" (song of the cicada) beats me. I would certainly not call that a song.

Now for the ticks. If after 4 times the Pest Control could not get rid of them I would start doing the pest control my self. I love the organic products but they don't kill on contact. If you are that much infested I would look for something else. We stopped using the pest control company this year because we still had crickets. We now do it ourselves with EcoSmart that we buy at Home Depot. So far so good. No crickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area