Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:21 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,794,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleladyish View Post
I am considering moving to the area as well, your post makes me feel optimistic unlike other negatives posts that I've read about moving there.
Not everyone can relate to the desert living and hot climate.

However, this area has so much going for it that people are continuing to come here to live part time, full time, invest in rentals, and they love it.

If it was as bad as the detractors feel it is, then we would be having a large exodus; and that just isn't happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 01:14 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,078,901 times
wow, just ten days to turn you into a desert rat....congratulations.....

the no-street-lights-in-residential-areas thing is due to a combo of wanting dark skies for astronomy purposes and the local residents not wanting things too bright (want things sorta country-ish).....may be other reasons, too....

as Capt Bill suggested, the dry air sucks the pool water and sweat right off your skin and that's what makes you feel cold after a swim (rapid evaporation)

Old 06-28-2011, 01:25 PM

54 posts, read 112,658 times
Great Post! My husband is on his way Thursday and hopefully I will be joining him soon after. Your comments help me with the jitters I've been experiencing. Thanks for that!

Old 06-28-2011, 01:52 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,812,465 times
Love the post........Now If I can only sell my home in beautiful Charlotte, NC....and join you guys out in the Valley of the Sun........Anyone want to buy a house?

Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 28,136 times
Glad to hear many positive things. I'll be in town again this week - hope to have more luck than last time with the home shopping. Hoping to be relocated permanently by the end of August or thereabouts.

I can echo the OP's comments about real estate agents. My experiences in AZ have been almost all negative, though Capt Bill is a very obvious exception to that; he has been extraordinarily generous with his time and advice.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:08 PM

675 posts, read 1,417,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegun View Post
Keep in mind the OP has only been here ten days. Try living here for years and your opinions may change quickly. I disagree with a lot of what OP has said.

110 isn't 'bad', 78 degrees is cold, "don't sweat here" and drivers aren't bad here <-- Disagree.
Everything is relative.

I've been here almost 1 year to the day longer than OP, and I can't disagree with anything he said. Still lovin it here! I might need to start dumping icecubes in the pool tho- water is at 92! yikes!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,652,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovegun View Post
Keep in mind the OP has only been here ten days. Try living here for years and your opinions may change quickly. I disagree with a lot of what OP has said.

110 isn't 'bad', 78 degrees is cold, "don't sweat here" and drivers aren't bad here <-- Disagree.
Hey Lovegun,
Yup, I've only been here 10 days but I do have some frame of reference to living in the desert. I lived near Barstow before I moved to Oregon.
Also, there just isn't anything to disagree with. I wasn't trying to prove a point or paint a rosey picture. I was just stating what I have observed and how I feel about things so far. I might feel completely different this time next year but I doubt it.
110 REALLY isn't bad. I was just sitting out on my brothers porch and the temp read 110. It was actually pleasant. Hot but pleasant. Now if it was in direct sunlight, I'm guessing it would have been to hot but in the shade? 110 is great with a cold drink and good company.
78 cold? Perhaps I should have said 78 was "cool" not cold. Either way I write it, I still wanted to be just a bit warmer.
Captain Bill said it correctly. You sweat but it evaporates so quickly you don't notice. Either way works for me. I don't like feeling all sweaty.
Now about the drivers. That has been my "observation" so far. The drivers here aren't "any worse that in other areas". I didn't mean to portray that drivers are great here, just that I see no difference with other metro areas I've driven in.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:23 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,652,018 times
Just a couple more things.
First of all, I might have ditzed on RE agents a bit much. I did finally find what appears to be an intelligent and well informed agent that is very helpful and knowledgeable. She has been in contact with me with every email and phone call. Very competent. I just wanted to throw that out there. There are good ones to be found.
Also, I took a drive from Mesa up the Apache Trail today. I stopped at Canyon Lake, Apache Lake and Roosevelt Lake. WOW! What a spectacular drive. Took several hours and your car better be in good shape but it was worth the effort.
Absolutely breathtaking.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:19 AM

16 posts, read 52,149 times
Nice post, thoughts, early experiences and so far observation(s) Maverick. My wife and I are moving there in just 8 days...and we can hardly wait to make the move. We've been going to Arizona for 30 years and this is a dream come true. We know the area decently well after all those years and it will be fun to experience it first hand.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 AM

5,546 posts, read 10,012,349 times
Well, I've been here going on eight years and I agree with Lovegun.

As soon as I can get out of here I will and FINALLY I can list my house anytime after Sept 1. The one thing I will miss here is maybe the sunshine (but even that gets to me day after day). After seven summers here the heat only seems to get to me more. There are many other things I won't miss (but I won't get into them here).

I think it's really important to have a balance of opinions - both good and bad in a forum so that people can make the most informed decision. In fact, interestingly enough, I've participated in another forum and have received both and am very appreciative for those who talk about both the good AND the bad.

I am glad the OP likes it here, but 10 days is like a vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area