Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:42 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,337,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey7 View Post
Concerning the statement there is no grass here, Morrison Ranch in Gilbert is ALL grass and tons of trees. It is all watered through their reclaimed water system. Great area to live in, especially if you are from the Mid-West and still want green, not desert. Also, Agritopia in Gilbert has grass and lots of trees .
There are a lot of places in the Valley with grass and trees. This is just another exaggerated criticism stated mostly by people who haven't lived here. South Tempe/NW Chandler and Ocotillo has a lot of parks, grass and trees as well. There are a lot of places with grass and trees. I don't need it to be like Portland with rows of pine trees everywhere to enjoy green. There is plenty of grass and trees here. Scottsdale, Phoenix, Glendale, etc all have areas with grass and trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 01:07 PM

860 posts, read 2,720,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Just a couple more things.
First of all, I might have ditzed on RE agents a bit much. I did finally find what appears to be an intelligent and well informed agent that is very helpful and knowledgeable. She has been in contact with me with every email and phone call. Very competent. I just wanted to throw that out there. There are good ones to be found.
Also, I took a drive from Mesa up the Apache Trail today. I stopped at Canyon Lake, Apache Lake and Roosevelt Lake. WOW! What a spectacular drive. Took several hours and your car better be in good shape but it was worth the effort.
Absolutely breathtaking.
Good point! Make sure you bring/get a newer car with you when you move if at all possible. We traded in our 10 yr old mini van for a new one( a KIA Sedona no less) before relocating and its already been on many cool daytrips.

Only problem...the kids are not using the new in-car DVD player as much as planned because the view out the windows is SO AWESOME!!! The saguaros look like people, the mountains are like castles and the sky is a kaleidoscope when the sun is setting!

Old 08-05-2011, 12:50 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,745,864 times
I appreciate the positive post because so many unfortunately leave a negative impression of Arizona. I have lived here for 12 years and it did take me a while to make the adjustment because I was still holding on to the place I moved from (Charlotte, NC). However, when I decided not to look back and to embrace the desert for the things it offered it changed my attitude and opinion of the place. Make no mistake, the summers are very hot! One of the disadvantages of living in the valley is that summer is not the time to be outside because of the extreme temps. However, if one wants to get out of the oppressive heat the state offers short getaways to places like Flagstaff and Pinetop where the temps can be up to 30 degrees cooler. Outside of summer you really can't beat the weather here. True, you don't get the change of seasons, but remember Flag, Sedona and Pinetop are just a few hours away.
I have found the people here to be friendly. You may get some who aren't, but believe me they are the exception and not the rule! The desert is NOT: NY, LA, Chicago, Boston or any of those places, but then again, we already have those places. The energy and vibe in the desert is more laid back than those places. If you are young (20's - 30's) who like the fast-paced city life then this would not be the place. However, if you are looking for a decent place to raise a family, change your life or live in a sunny climate then this is your place. You have to see it for what it is and not for what it's not.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:15 PM

860 posts, read 2,720,871 times
Not running around outside all summer is absolutely the biggest complaints my children have.

Access to a pool really helps, so finding a community pool is important if you have children and will not have a home with a pool.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:01 PM

484 posts, read 971,798 times
I loved the dry heat for about 8 years and then it started to get to me. I came from cold PA and the desert was a god-send. BUT, the endless oven baking summers that you hide from the sun just got to me. I love so many things about the Sonoran Desert but I had to move on...

To the OP: you sound like a positive person and that is great. I wouldn't doubt you'd have loved any new place you moved to. Enjoy.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:40 PM

464 posts, read 834,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow91 View Post
I read the post and agree with most, the roads are in excellent condition compared to most states I have been in. I don't know either why no street lights--anyone know? Fountain Hills has none and I heard it is so you can view the sky at night--I think that is a bunch of bs myself, I love that there are virtually not alot of bugs but there are some, you can't beat the winters here, I think that is what keeps everyone here, sunshine galore, I know when it is cloudy, I miss the sun. It is very, very hot today, but if you stay indoors it's not too bad. I love the area I am in, we are literally one mile from 2 different highways, one mile from the mall, any restuarant I want to go to. Growing up in IL was either cold, snow, rain, gloom and doom, high humidity in the summer, don't miss that at all. I feel as if AZ is my home now and plan on staying.
Actually, the evening sky views are gorgeous in FH and no street lights only enhances that.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:46 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,494,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hart4july View Post
Good point! Make sure you bring/get a newer car with you when you move if at all possible. We traded in our 10 yr old mini van for a new one( a KIA Sedona no less) before relocating and its already been on many cool daytrips.

Only problem...the kids are not using the new in-car DVD player as much as planned because the view out the windows is SO AWESOME!!! The saguaros look like people, the mountains are like castles and the sky is a kaleidoscope when the sun is setting!
An older car in GOOD shape does good here.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:30 PM

267 posts, read 694,472 times
Default Grass and water

One of the areas where we avoided looking at houses was The Lakes, in Tempe -- because the HOA required homeowners to have green lawns, among other things, and if I remember rightly, you would not be allowed to have a saguaro or such in your front yard. In that neighborhood, it seems you could pretty easily pretend that you were not in a desert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area