Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2011, 09:59 AM

54 posts, read 112,509 times

Advertisements

My husband and his partner arrived yesterday from Bay Area. They managed to explore a few of the apartments we had previously researched in the Arrowhead Mall Area late afternoon. However they have now mentioned the surrounding neighborhood looks interesting and , of course, would be a stones throw to work. (They were "late starters" in Bay Area location and the new environment requires 7 - 7:30 am start). I have been starting to research possible locations in the vicinity. What is that area called? We will be 2 families - myself and husband - 60's and his partner, 50, wife, 5 yr & new born and in-laws. A good school is important of course. How is the Black Canyon corridor and surrounds going North toward Carefree Hwy?.

I have reams of info on the other side of town - now they are THERE, trying to squeeze in some time this long wknd between setting up the facility and exploring potential living situations. Originally apts. were the choice, but perhaps rental homes should be considered. Budget for them for home - up to about $1,200. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 12:17 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,940,499 times
I actually did a quick map a while back that shows areas around the Arrowhead/North Peoria that are all good. Anywhere in the blue area is nice. New or newer homes, good schools...would say upper middle class?

Old 07-02-2011, 02:09 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,905 times
Hi - There are many nice newer apartment complexes near the 101 Freeway [both sides] from about 27th Ave to as far west as 43rd Ave. There are many amenities around that area, such as retail, theater, restaurants, a hospital, and a childrens' emergency clinic. Also, easy commuting to downtown Phx on the RAPID express bus. Several major employers have operations in the general vicinity, including American Express, John C Lincoln North Hospital, Cox Cable,and USAA, a bit further north. I am not sure what a rental home goes for around there; I have heard that the market for rental homes is getting tighter these days. Be sure to allow room in your budget for utilities. In Phoenix, just like anywhere else, everyone has individual preferences they want in a home and you will probably know which one will work when you see it. One feature I really like in an Arizona home/apt is ceiling fans - I think they help you feel cooler! Somehow, everything will work out. Good luck with your move and new endeavors.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:20 PM

54 posts, read 112,509 times
Hollyhock garden - Thank You

Actually I use ceiling fans in Half Moon Bay Ca for sleeping and the thermometer seems broken at about 63-65 year 'round so that would be a Big Yes to ceiling fans for me!!

Old 07-02-2011, 02:33 PM

6 posts, read 9,250 times
I think this is a great area, with pretty good schools. It is close to the freeways for easy access to other parts of town. Renting a house for that budget should not be a problem either.

A friend of mine just bought a house off of Pinnacle Peak and 35th. She absolutely loves it. (and she did a lot of research beforehand. she is also a native, for what it is worth).

I also think anywhere off of Carefree Hwy is good. My parents live off of Carefree and 7th ave. Of course they moved there before everything had been built but now there are a lot of restaurants/stores, etc. Plus, Anthem is close for shopping.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area