Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 08:34 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,863,691 times

Advertisements

Well, here is an idea, though a simple one. There is a little chicken/waffle house around Central Avenue down south a bit. I think the cross street is Yuma. Anyway the name is LoLo's Chicken and Waffles. I go there once in a while and have always had a nice time and saw a wide variety of people, but mostly black. The food is very tasty, but it's not a fancy place. Anyway, check it out sometime...you might meet people who can tell you where they hang out.

On the other hand, like another poster said, maybe your best bet is just to find as many like minded people you can and start doing stuff for fun. I bet you will eventually find a group you feel comfortable with. For all the crabbing people do about Phx, I think it is a nicely mixed racial community where it doesn't mean too much to the next guy what color you are. Good luck, I have a feeling you will find a bunch of friends sooner rather than later.

Old 08-10-2007, 09:07 AM

5 posts, read 33,508 times
I am a black female born and raised in Chicago who is also looking to relocate to the southwest. Let me just say that I have absolutely no problems mixing in and getting along with everyone, no matter the ethnicity. I do not have a problem with interracial dating; I personally would not partake in it ONLY because I happen to be attracted to dark-skinned men. So I do not see the harm in wanting to meet people of your own kind.

Old 08-10-2007, 10:28 AM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,111,928 times
I am glad that you guys did offer up some suggestions to this gentleman. It looked like his thread was really close to getting hijacked by some folks with there own "agenda". I knew fully well what he meant.
On that note, I would suggest some of the clubs in the Scttsdl area...

Old 08-11-2007, 05:25 PM

133 posts, read 433,702 times
I actually laughed when I first read this thread because it reminded me of a friend's comment years ago. He was from the DC area, and very concerned that there were apparently no black people here. I think we pride ourselves here on not really even noticing race (maybe a bit overgeneralized, but still...)

I recommend, as others have, that you try to make friends without the hang-ups of areas that tend to be more segregated. It floored me to read the comment about a "black club." Only due to recent work-related travels have I had the opportunity to see clubs that were mostly white vs. black (in DC), or entirely Korean (in L.A.). In AZ, the closest I can imagine are clubs that tend to be mostly Latino, due to the music, although the popularity of Latin dancing is even making these places more diverse.

All I can say is best of luck finding happiness and contentment here.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:25 PM

202 posts, read 982,165 times
40th Street and Broadway.

Hey, I didn't bring up the subject, I'm just answering the question...

Old 08-22-2007, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 8,659 times
Talking Black Folks

Hello, i just happen to read your post and i see that you have located and can't find any black folks. Well it depends on what type of black folks you wanna be around.

Last edited by SpeedyAZ; 08-23-2007 at 06:29 AM..

Old 08-23-2007, 09:04 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,171,072 times
Please remember that the Phoenix area being significantly newer that back east or even SoCal that 'Black sections' never really developed-----most of this town was built after Jim Crow laws were declared unconstitutional 40+ years ago.

As some other posters alluded to; pretty much the only area that has large numbers of Black folks would be 24th St/Broadway in South Phoenix-----and, many of them are not exactly high up socioeconomically speaking.

As for the 'uptown' people: they are scattered everywhere living amongst the Whites; both Anglo and Hispanic.

Old 08-23-2007, 09:55 PM

376 posts, read 491,287 times
[MOD CUT: OT portion was orphaned; topic replying to was deleted]

I would check into sites that give data about races. One thought is the Boys and Girls Clubs tend to show the data of the children at their facilities. So, looking at the different clubs in town you can see which area has a higher concentration. In addition you can check by zip code (this might even be better because you get more data including financial, and lots of statistics). Aloha

Last edited by Sage of Sagle; 08-24-2007 at 10:43 PM..

Old 08-24-2007, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 6,658 times
Smile Hopefully the answer you are looking for...

Why couldn't anyone just give you a straight answer? Here are a couple of places to get you started:

- Oscar Taylors (24th Street & Camelback)- check it out on Friday and Saturdays- they have live music in the early part of the evening
- Kona Grill in Chandler (Chandler Blvd & the 101)- happy hour there on Fridays should definitely be what you’re looking for
- Z Tejas in Chandler (Ray Rd & 58th St-I think) (it’s just east of the I-10)- happy hour on Fridays is okay as well- much more diverse but still quite a few black people
- Stoudemires (2nd street & Jefferson) is hit or miss
- Majerles (Washington & 2nd street)- every 1st and 3rd Wednesday there’s an open mic night- the evening is called “The Studio”, cover is $5- mix of poetry, a live band, some good vocalists
- Bobby C’s (Jefferson and 12th st)- more of an older crowd- but the food is great!
- BridgeKey Café (27th ave & Southern)- they have good food (I think), and live music as well BridgeKeyCatering

A couple of distribution lists or websites to check out that would probably help keep you in the know:
EnTimeOnline.com, UrbanAZ.com, UpscaleEntertainment

Stay away from Next- it’s "GHETTO"- to quote several people referencing this club (always ridiculously hot and crowded inside)

If you’re spiritual/religious- check out one of these churches:
- Pilgrim’s Rest (Jefferson & 14th st)- they have a singles fellowship
- 1st Institutional (Jefferson & 13th st)- I think they have a singles fellowship as well
- Faith Christian Center (26th St & McDowell)- the preacher is young but sensational; congregation is mixed; there’s a 9am service and an 11am

There’s a Black Film Showcase in March- (I know it’s a ways away but I’m mentioning it so a) you know it’s coming and b) if you’re interested in signing up to volunteer for it- we’ll begin working on it in a month or so- we can use the help, plus it’s a great way to network- last year’s event was better than ever before- lots of fun

Lastly, check out these organizations and newspapers:
http://www.aamasu.org/
https://www.gphxul.org they have a young professionals group- great networking once again
The Write Up- free paper- go to any soul food restaurant or somewhere in South Phoenix or Glendale and you should be able to find it
The Arizona Informant- a weekly distribution, you have to pay for it, but you get it free if you come to The Studio!

There are black people here- you just have to know where to go, hopefully this helps a little bit. Good luck to you!

Old 08-24-2007, 11:30 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,729,898 times
This is for anyone like the OP who maybe concerned about this issue. Coming from the East Coast, the number of Blacks you see in PHX compared to metros back east will be small. Very small in fact; However, there is a strong Black professional community in PHX in both the private sector and the government sector. Get connected to someone from a professional group or contact the professional group and go to one of their events. Where ever you get your haircut or hair styled will also give you a chance to meet more Blacks.

It was my experience in PHX that Blacks mixed in pretty well among the Whites. So what you would end up seeing is a couple of Black people, say for instance at a gym working out among the White and Latins. As such, you end up developing relationships with the Whites and Latins. Those relationships will sometime put you in contact with Blacks that the Whites or Latins may know. When you go to a nightclub or restaurant, you'll see Blacks but once again there will be a small number of them.

As far as dating sisters are concerned, when I was in PHX the sisters that I did see were very good looking and professional sisters. The problem is that you don't see many of them especially if you live anywhere other than South Central Phoenix (Baseline Rd area west of I-10). So what you end up seeing is that the brothers who came to PHX without a wife or girlfriend 9 times out of 10 will be dating a good looking White girl. If that's what you're into, then you shouldn't have a problem. If you want a sister you'll have to connect with some type of professional association through someone you know or through a association related to the type of work you do.

I say go with the flow, but that's the type of guy that I am. I moved to PHX from the East Coast back in 04 and left there in late 06 and I must say that it was a wonderful experience. If you're open you'll make friends of all races and you'll be able to date white and black girls/guys. The latinas tend to stick with the latin dudes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area