Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 12:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,816 times

Advertisements

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area in a small town filled with charming small homes built between 1920-1950. The streets are tree-lined and covered with folks out walking their dogs and/or pushing strollers. Despite a close proximity to Oakland, crime is extremely low....

Is there a place in Phoenix where I can get to my downtown job (finance) and take a nice walk, stroll when I get home?

I have two toddler boys so would also like them to be able to attend safe good schools where they can play sports....

Having lived in a 1928 home with tube and knob wiring, I am looking for someplace that is a least "sorta" updated so I do not have to do major work (cosmetic stuff is fine)

We plan to rent the first year and scope things out, but as much as we would love a large new home, I hate commuting too far and don't enjoy walking along 6 lane roads -- so if I move to a burb it has to more than a plopped down gated development type of place.

We are moving for the most part for our boys, so I want them to be able to play outside as they grow up....

Would when I buy want to pay 300-500K

Last edited by ratty467; 07-08-2011 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: Add comment: I live/work in diverse environment and don't need an "all white" neighborhood....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 12:47 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,975,462 times
The historic districts north of downtown sound like they should fit your needs, especially Willo which is nicer than the rest and with your budget yo should be able o get something nice. Could potentially be within walking distance to light rail to take into downtown.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:36 AM

47 posts, read 259,368 times
Keep in mind, from April to November it's really too too hot for most people to take long walks. You are coming from a pretty much year round pleasant walking weather spot, to a place that is pleasant part of the year, but much of the year...HOT HOT HOT HOT!!!

Old 07-08-2011, 10:22 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,975,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
Keep in mind, from April to November it's really too too hot for most people to take long walks. You are coming from a pretty much year round pleasant walking weather spot, to a place that is pleasant part of the year, but much of the year...HOT HOT HOT HOT!!!
Why do people love to exaggarate and scare others? I dont lume to sugar coat but cmon, April and November?

April is usually in the mid 80s for the high and November is normally in the mid 70s. Where did you get your data because actually looked up the weather calendar from last year for both months.

There may be a couple days that it creeps in the low 90s but at the same time there were also days in the 60s both months. Even when you have a high OS say 93, that's around 3-4 pm and the earlier part of the day or evening it's just perfect in the low 80s.

I'd actually be curious how many days per year we have temps over say 95 degrees (which still isn't bad because again that's the high and before noon and after 6 it's mid 80s and perfect).

Old 07-08-2011, 10:59 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,517,089 times
Agree with HX_Guy.

Most of the older charming areas are either near downtown or midtown Phoenix, there are also a few on the northern side of Tempe.

Even in my suburban neighborhood I see people out strolling around all the time, even now when it's hot outside.

But most of the year has nice weather here, July and August are really the only two horrid months because of the summertime monsoon season, steambath humidity along with the oven heat.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 AM

1,108 posts, read 3,327,757 times
The historic neighborhoods of central Phoenix would be to your liking.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:31 PM

39 posts, read 53,411 times
i think hot is a point of reference. i live in pennsylvania and today it is 72 outside. hot summer temps average in the 80's.
we are probably relocating for my husbands job & people swear the dry heat is much more bearable than humid heat.

Old 07-08-2011, 03:05 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,181,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanK View Post
This is not even close to accurate.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:35 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,581,861 times
I am comfortable in Phoenix below 100 degrees. Like temps in 90s are no problem because, as you say, the dryness. Days like 118 like last Saturday when I was back home in Phoenix - well you stay inside in your nice Arizona leather sofa and look at the outside in a/c comfort!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamorrall View Post
i think hot is a point of reference. i live in pennsylvania and today it is 72 outside. hot summer temps average in the 80's.
we are probably relocating for my husbands job & people swear the dry heat is much more bearable than humid heat.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:46 PM

132 posts, read 279,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamorrall View Post
I agree with you , Here in Green Bay it is 80 degrees with a 68 per humidity. that bites but to tell the truth anything over 110 is hot no matter if it is dry or humid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area