Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,020 times

Advertisements

How is this area now? Are the schools there still as good as they were back then? I am relocating back to the Phoenix area because it cleared up my asthma when I lived there. I'm in NJ now and my asthma is really bad again.

Any suggestions on maybe a better area of Phoenix for a single mom of a 12 year old girl? Want safe, quiet, good public schools, friendly, and pet friendly, close to shopping, mountain views, etc. These are in order of importance to me. I know it's a pretty tall order, but I need to love where I live! I don't now, and it does make a HUGE difference in how you feel physically and emotionally. I will be renting an apartment for the first year or two, so suggest away on best apartments too!

Thanks in advance for everybodys' help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 04:57 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,321,512 times
I'll be the first to say I love living in the Valley but things have changed over the last decade.
You need to come visit and judge for yourself before moving back.
There are literally 1 million more people living here now.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:06 PM

7 posts, read 12,650 times
In the 10 years i have been around that area very little has changed. As far as a safe quiet place to raise a kid that area (and most of north east Phoenix excluding the square) are about as safe as it gets. I think a return to the 32cnd and Shea area would be perfect for what you are looking for.

Old 07-08-2011, 05:27 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,355,355 times
agree with "yournamehere". . . .. it's a good area, as is the rest of the "paradise valley" village, with the exception of "the square"

Old 07-08-2011, 08:39 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
"the square" everybody is talking about is a couple miles N of 32nd and Shea - around 32nd and Greenway and Palomino Park....in the last many years, that area has slipped a bit.....it's the old Paradise Valley Oasis homes by John F Long

if you can swing it, the area around PV Mall - Cactus and Tatum - is fantastic...some call it Paradise Village, as mentioned here above.....every store you could possibly want, very convenient, the Indian Bend Wash for walking, but very busy and lots of fast-moving traffic....several apartment complexes to choose from....check on if you have PVSD schools or Scottsdale schools....

Old 07-08-2011, 09:45 PM

687 posts, read 1,946,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmylife1010 View Post
How is this area now? Are the schools there still as good as they were back then? I am relocating back to the Phoenix area because it cleared up my asthma when I lived there. I'm in NJ now and my asthma is really bad again.

Any suggestions on maybe a better area of Phoenix for a single mom of a 12 year old girl? Want safe, quiet, good public schools, friendly, and pet friendly, close to shopping, mountain views, etc. These are in order of importance to me. I know it's a pretty tall order, but I need to love where I live! I don't now, and it does make a HUGE difference in how you feel physically and emotionally. I will be renting an apartment for the first year or two, so suggest away on best apartments too!

Thanks in advance for everybodys' help!
I live pretty close to 32nd/Shea - it's a good area with good schools. South of Shea is obviously nicer (and more expensive), but mountain views everywhere. In the past couple of years, I've noticed the whole area get younger.

There's also a new coffee shop (by morning)/wine bar (by night) called 32 Shea that is excellent. Always packed, pet-friendly, and exactly what the neighborhood needs. I really think the intersection itself is prime for good development.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 PM

159 posts, read 397,279 times
I grew up and have lived in the area for many years, and it's still a great place. The shopping center at the NW corner is still struggling to make a comeback but needs some good solid tenants. I recall in the 70's when that one shopping center had just about every possible type of shop you would need (Groceries, drug, hardware, hobby, bicycle, variety, Dairyqueen..). Still a great place to raise kids, not much traffic and right off SR51. You can take the Dreamy Draw bike path all the way south through the preserve to Glendale Ave and beyond without crossing a major street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area