U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 10:09 AM

29 posts, read 64,781 times

Advertisements

I know someone will probably have to PM the information based on forum rules.

I am looking for recommendations on a reputable PHX area headhunter. I am interested in professional level, medical/dental equipment sales positions for a candidate with many years experience, and a proven track record with the awards to back it up.

Doing internet searches gives me piles of choices, but it is like taking a shot in the dark. So, if anyone can be so kind to recommend one I would be most thankful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 11:51 AM

10 posts, read 24,897 times
I am also looking for a headhunter. I'm a Senior Financial Analyst at a big insurance firm currently. Thanks. Mike

Old 07-14-2011, 09:33 AM

426 posts, read 1,221,043 times
I was recently in the job market as an IT Project Manager. A ton of headhunters found me on LinkedIn.com.

I'd try starting there and see how that works out.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:29 PM

17,636 posts, read 23,412,818 times
And headhunters here don't do too much business with Phoenix based businesses. Employers in Phoenix rarely feel the need to pay 30% of your annual salary to a headhunter.

Linked In is a good idea. But do NOT expect a HH to find you a job here, let alone a job with a top employer.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:37 PM

29 posts, read 64,781 times
Thanks for the tip. LinkedIn may be a wonderful tool for networking (been a member for years), however, synonymous with confidentiality it is not.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:34 PM

17,636 posts, read 23,412,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corso View Post
Thanks for the tip. LinkedIn may be a wonderful tool for networking (been a member for years), however, synonymous with confidentiality it is not.
Regrettably, neither are headhunters. The simple fact is this: if you are actively searching for a new job, be ready to accept that you may lose your current job as soon as your current employer knows you are looking. Which may be tomorrow morning. I've been on both sides of this equation - a HH (briefly - it's a often a dirty business, IMO) and a corporate HR person. There's no assurance of confidentiality on either side. Sorry, but that's the truth.

But, again, headhunters are starving in Phoenix unless they have lots of out of state employers.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:56 PM

10,720 posts, read 18,934,695 times
You don't want to go with a Headhunter for many reasons

(1) As stated previously, most companies do not want to pay 20- 30% of a candidates first year base salary particularly in a period of high unemployment and avaialble talent

(2) It could actually HURT your chances by using a headhunter. Headhunters will often send your resumen to dozens of companies unknowingly. They might tell you they are sending your resume to XYZ company but they will also send it out to several other companies knowing the chances that XYZ is not a guaranteed thing. You might think this is a good thing but it's not and I'll tell you why. Suppose you are working with a headhunter but are also searching for jobs on your own. Let's say you called company ABC and arranged your own interview with them. Then let's say ABC liked you and wanted to hire you. Sounds good right? Except your headhunter sent ABC your resume before you did and contractually they are obligated to pay the headhunter if they want to hire you. You weren't aware the headhunter sent your resume to ABC but it doesn't matter. ABC happened to have a contingency agreement with your headhunter already in place; and most companies have a contingency agreement in place with most headhunters. Now if ABC wants to hire you, they have to pay the headhunter 20-30% of your base salary. ABC says sorry, they liked you but aren't willing to pay a large fee to hire you and will go with someone else. You just lost out on a job because of your headhunter.

(3) Headhunters are about speed. Like any salesmen, they are often paid entirely on commission and so the more deals they can crank out in less time, the more money they make. This can be a bad thing because certain companies might not be a great fit for you but the headhunter will sell it to you in order for you to accept the job.

(4) Headhunters don't work with one candidate. This is not Jerry McGuire. You are not the headhunters only candidate. The headhunter sends dozens of resumes for the same job posting and represents other candidates as well. Again, it's about placing a candidate so they could care less if it's you or someone else.

(5) The types of companies that use headhunters are fairly desperate - there is a reason they can't fill that job on their own and have to hire a headhunter. Most of the time, it's for a very specific skill set that most people do not have and thus will hire a headhunter to find someone for that job. So you are often wasting your time going through a headhunter because there is a high probability you don't fill that description because you don't possess that unique skill set and have 3-5 years working in the same or similar industry doing that same job. It's just a waste of your time. Many companies don't take headhunters seriously and will only hire them on contingency if they find this perfect candidate that doesn't exist. It doesn't cost the companies anything; they only pay when the job is filled so they will say "Okay yeah we need a guy that has these criteria if you find it, will hire them"

(6) Headhunters don't have special powers. They don't have secret contacts. Most of the resources they use to find jobs are the same ones anyone else can use: a computer, a phone and a pen. They go online and call companies and ask what they want. They search the hiring section on company websites. They search Monster and then call the company. These are all things you can do. However, the public seems to think headhunters have unique resources or contacts and they really don't in most cases.

Your best bet is do some research, find hiring managers and e-mail them your resume AND write that you are not a headhunter or being represented by a headhunter and you are the candidate itself seeking the job. It's really not that hard. Everything is online now. You are better off e-mailing your resume to companies and informing them you are not represented by any headhunter than going the headhunter route.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 07-15-2011 at 04:06 PM..

Old 07-16-2011, 11:50 AM

426 posts, read 1,221,043 times
One thing I should have mentioned earlier is when contacted by head hunters, it was fairly common for multiple head hunters to call me about the same opening on the same day. I can't tell you how many times I got calls for an opening at Wells Fargo that I wasn't interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area