U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 08:45 PM

132 posts, read 250,637 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

After living in Pittsburgh for the last 9 years, I've finally had it with 9 months a year of rain, grey, gloom, and cold. I have lived in El Paso for many years and have developed a fondness to hot, dry weather. I have visited Tucson and Phoenix a few times during the summer (albeit 10yrs ago), so I have at least a general idea of what I'm in for. After reading this article, I'm seriously thinking about packing up at the end of the year and heading to the Phoenix area.

Top 10 Cities for Accountants - LedgerLink

Now the biggest questions I have are related to entry level accounting jobs. How hard is it to find a decent accounting job in Phoenix? Any companies that anyone can recommend? I graduated last year w/ a BS in Accounting and only have a year of experience (Investment fund accounting, mutual funds) with a fortune 500 company. Any websites that anyone can recommend for Phoenix area jobs besides indeed, careerbuilder, monster, and CL? What about temp agencies in Phoenix? Experiences?

Here in Pittsburgh, most of the accounting jobs are located in the heart of downtown. Is the same true for Phoenix, or are they more spread out throughout the metro area like Dallas? I'm looking to move to an area where my commute would be 1/2hr or less (by car, bus, or rail) bc my current 1hr commute to travel 18 miles here in Pitts (which turns into 1.5-2hrs when the roads are full of snow/ice/accidents) is killing me. I'm looking for a 1br apt for around $600/mo or less. It doesn't have to be in a particularly "nice" area, just as long as its safe.

Thanks in advance..... ANY and ALL input is greatly appreciated!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 09:32 PM

6,189 posts, read 7,975,047 times
Check all of the job sites (Jobing, Monster, CareerBuilder) and see what's on there. I doubt there's definite probability of finding and entry-level accounting gig.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:01 PM

370 posts, read 1,492,571 times
Schools, banks, credit unions. There are major companies in the area (Intel, Honeywell, Amazon) all need people to keep a handle on their spending patterns (also budget orientation). Even the State of Arizona is looking for people to pinch those pennies (plus every city) and even the Federal government. Accounting jobs are available but, like every job, here today and gone tomorrow. We recently had two openings for our nurse grad program and HUNDREDS of nurses applied. Hopefully you have followed good accounting advice and have several months of income saved up.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:38 AM

2,748 posts, read 3,086,822 times
Indeed.com is probably the best site for job hunting- Craigslist is good as well and if u dont know already Temp Agencies for Accounting Staffing - Accountemps could be of use to u as well (as well as other temp agencies). try to connect and network with alumni of your college-lots of people from the east coast live here. phoenix is very spread out unlike some other big cities in usa. You might want to take a job doing something else like a call center or something until u find something permanent if u cant get an accounting gig immediately

Old 09-27-2011, 03:13 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,324,528 times
Municipal governments (city/county) always seems to be looking for people with accounting experience.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:26 PM

8,875 posts, read 15,314,601 times
I worked for a Fortune 100 in Pittsburgh for 17 years before moving to Arizona. Please keep in mind that even if you DO get an accounting -- or any other -- job in Phoenix, pay scales are not going to be equivalent to what they are in Pittsburgh. Phoenix may be (for many reasons) one of the more cost-effective metros to live in -- especially this close to California -- but housing is more expensive than where you are now so your salary will not go as far.

Apartment rents are somewhat comparable due to the number of apartments available in Phoenix (and the properties will be newer those found in Pittsburgh), but houses of comparable size and condition are more expensive in Phoenix. Home buying in the 'burgh is one of America's great real estate bargains.

Phoenix may well suit you and you sound young enough to course correct and move on if it doesn't meet your expectations. But do heed the people who warn how long it may take you to find a job here. Unless you are able to make a transfer, job hunting from many states away will not bear much fruit in Arizona and even once you are here, as an entry-level employee you will be competing with recent grads from ASU and U of A.

My experience in Pittsburgh was that people from afar had a leg up in hiring because Pittsburghers' attitude is often one of "you probably know things we don't know." Being different is an asset there. When I moved to Pittsburgh from Washington, DC, I got multiple job offers in a month (this was before the current crisis, but things were still tight at the time). I was treated as if I was rare and glamorous.

That attitude is NOT prevalent in Arizona. Most employers I've encountered would loyally give a job to an Arizona resident over an "outsider" any day. I don't say that critically. Arizonans take care of their own and that's commendable. But business is business and if you have experience that sets you apart from other candidates, that won't be ignored. By the same token "who you know" makes a difference everywhere, but it's carried to the extreme in Arizona, IMHO. In your favor, though, is the fact that deservedly or not Pittsburghers enjoy a nationwide reputation of having a good work ethic. And, who knows, you might luck out and be interviewed by someone who recently moved here from somewhere else -- there are plenty of those.

Just some things to think about. Best of luck to you. (Feel free to DM me if you have any questions I can answer. I currently live in Tucson, not Phoenix, but I spend enough time in Phoenix that maybe I can assist.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>