Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 11:35 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,319 times

Advertisements

IMO, Phoenix would be A LOT more desirable of a city if it had decent drinking water. I know we have to deal with what we're given (crappy, salty water from rivers), but if magic could be done and Phoenix's water was as delicious as Seattle's or NYC's, this city would benefit immeasurably. San Francisco also has extremely high quality water, btw.

What do you think?

Benefits of better water:
-Trees, lawns and outdoor plantings would thrive instead of just survive
-No more water softeners (which pollute groundwater with sodium and chloride)
-healthier skin, hair, dishes
-easier to clean surfaces/windows without water spots- imagine that!
-no need for reverse osmosis units
-massive increase in revenue for the high tech industry that relies on high quality water
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 11:54 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
While I agree this whole region including Nevada, New Mexico and a good chunk of California have awful water. But in Phoenix, any water is good enough, even the effluent we use in recharging aquifers.

Israel does an amazing job wither reuse and is very green at the same time we could stand to learn more always.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:48 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
You are never going to get city water to a point that some people would not feel the need for water softening and reverse osmosis. I haven't had either for decades, but some say they have to have it, okay for them. The source of the water here, vs. the sources in the other cities you name, are just geologically different. Deal with it. Same with the water spots. That said, I've seen some very clean windows around here. You are either just not doing it right, or looking for more things to complain about Phoenix than you've already done.

I've seen some thriving trees and grass around here, too, for those who want to have it. I realize this involves another of your pet peeves, so enough said.

We've always had a fair amount of high tech industry here. Can you point to a source (link) that says that X company did not move here because its high tech operations couldn't use Phoenix water?

Old 10-15-2015, 09:51 PM

299 posts, read 545,335 times
I am from Pennsylvania originally, came out west 35 years ago. PA water was good so I could not help noticing the bad taste in various cities. LA was the worst. Someone back then had told me that the further west you go the worse the water. St George, Utah had good water, Sacramento water tasted like fish had been swimming in it. That was when I drank only bottled water then eventually switched to a faucet mount filter. I like a filter on the shower too.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:57 AM

43 posts, read 110,565 times
I came to Surprise (Phoenix suburb) exactly one week ago. I came kicking and screaming prepared to hate this place. Yet even with my desire to confirm anything negative, I must admit that the drinking water to me taste just fine and I wonder what all the fuss is about. I have heard from many people how supposedly bad this water is, but it is ok to me.

I have lived in many places and to me the worse water was in New York. Although thankfully, I only visited there.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:51 PM

2,274 posts, read 3,074,714 times
Yes, the water here is not awesome and certainly not comparable to Denver or Central Illinois which both have AWESOME tasting water. Still, it's passable and clean enough for drinking, which is much more than many places in the world can say.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:25 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,676,902 times
Here in Central Phoenix it's pretty good. I used to get quite a variety of wacky tasting water in North Scottsdale though. Also, when I lived in Ahwatukee, I had some really odd spotting problems with dishes and glasses.

Where I live now, I don't even think about it anymore. Glasses are sparkling, windows and mirrors are spotless, and I don't have either a RO or softener. I do get the same mineral deposits after a while, but they're pretty expected in some places.

FWIW, my other house is in Wisconsin, in a city with outstanding water. It should (maybe is) bottled. Same goes for most of the Chicago area. Out in the 'burbs, though, a lot of people still have groundwater wells and have all sorts of weird issues.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:47 PM

1,705 posts, read 1,599,730 times
I agree that the Phoenix area has pretty bad tasting water. All my shower heads would also turn white and get clogged. The water was just too hard.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:52 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,311 times
I believe a water softener is almost a necessity here.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:06 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
I believe a water softener is almost a necessity here.
I just have filtered drinking water and use the standard tap for everything else.

Water spots in the dishwasher? Wash the dishes with distilled white vinegar every now and then and it will remove the calcium deposits on your dishes on the inside of your dishwasher.

Soap scum in the shower? Stop using bar soap.

Everything shouldn't really matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area