Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 09:23 PM

2 posts, read 4,802 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, this is my first post here!

Basically, the thread title says it all: I'm planning on moving from the Columbus, OH area to Phoenix.

I'm 21-years-old and looking to move somewhere completely different than Ohio. I've been to Phoenix before on vacation, so it's been a couple of years, but I did like the city during the time I was there. I've looked into moving to other cities (Austin, TX & Pasadena, CA), but the locations were either too expensive to live in, didn't have any jobs, or both.

Right now, the only thing stopping me from moving immediately is that I don't have a full-time job. Once I get that, I can get an apartment, move, etc. I did get hired by an independent photographer as a second-shooter for weddings (shooting weddings is what I do in Ohio now, and is my ultimate career choice to shoot weddings solely without another job), however it is part-time and won't be enough money for me at the moment to pay bills. So once I find another job, I'm set.

My question is this: what are some good places to work at in Phoenix? I feel quite blind going into this - I have a profile on monster.com and have looked at CraigsList quite a bit, but I haven't gotten many bites. I've probably applied at over 20 places, and I know things like this aren't ever instant, but I'm getting desperate! Besides working as a photographer, I also have experience in being a certified pharmacy technician, and retail clothing sales.

Also, are there any areas in Phoenix I should avoid? Any good apartment complexes that you know of? My photographer-"boss"-friend told me that Tempe is a good area because it's close to ASU campus with a lot of artsy influences around.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. I just need help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 12:47 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccleary View Post
My question is this: what are some good places to work at in Phoenix? I feel quite blind going into this - I have a profile on monster.com and have looked at CraigsList quite a bit, but I haven't gotten many bites. I've probably applied at over 20 places, and I know things like this aren't ever instant, but I'm getting desperate! Besides working as a photographer, I also have experience in being a certified pharmacy technician, and retail clothing sales.
Real estate seems to have a high earning potential here ... but as far as I'm concerned, the Phoenix market is saturated with those types of positions. Otherwise, try some of the larger firms that have corporate HQs or regional bases here: Banner Health, Intel, Dial, US Airways, Avnet, Pinnacle West, GoDaddy, Chase, UHaul, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccleary View Post
Also, are there any areas in Phoenix I should avoid? Any good apartment complexes that you know of? My photographer-"boss"-friend told me that Tempe is a good area because it's close to ASU campus with a lot of artsy influences around.
Avoid south Phoenix and Maryvale ... those are the worst areas. Basically, most sections immediately west or south of downtown aren't so great, and highly industrial. I also like Tempe, but not all of it is artsy. The Mill Avenue district/downtown area has the nightlife and the artsy influence thanks mostly to the close proximity of ASU. South Tempe is definitely more suburban, but still a decent area that you might find appealing.

Old 08-12-2011, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 6,085 times
I definitely understand the frustration your probably feeling right now. I'm in the same boat. I'm moving from Michigan to Phoenix (more specifically Chandler) late September. I've been doing the Monster and Craigslist thing for little over two week with no definitive results. It'll take some time. Start networking with people too, online and even with people in your town. I'm surprised on how many people know somebody in the Phoenix area even in the small town I live in. Someone in your town just might help you land a job. Keep us posted. Best of luck to you.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Real estate seems to have a high earning potential here ... but as far as I'm concerned, the Phoenix market is saturated with those types of positions. Otherwise, try some of the larger firms that have corporate HQs or regional bases here: Banner Health, Intel, Dial, US Airways, Avnet, Pinnacle West, GoDaddy, Chase, UHaul, etc.

Avoid south Phoenix and Maryvale ... those are the worst areas. Basically, most sections immediately west or south of downtown aren't so great, and highly industrial. I also like Tempe, but not all of it is artsy. The Mill Avenue district/downtown area has the nightlife and the artsy influence thanks mostly to the close proximity of ASU. South Tempe is definitely more suburban, but still a decent area that you might find appealing.
Thank you. Luckily, I now have the opportunity to move before I find a second job. So while I work on my photography, I will also look for another job in those areas also!

I will look for some apartments in the places you mentioned. I did search to see how much apartments were in Tempe, but unfortunately I think they're too expensive for me at the moment. I'm looking for a 1-bedroom that's at the very highest, $600 a month. I'd even go for a studio/efficiency, with a max of $500 a month or so. I'm going to look on an apartment website in those areas you mentioned, so thank you!

Quote:
I definitely understand the frustration your probably feeling right now. I'm in the same boat. I'm moving from Michigan to Phoenix (more specifically Chandler) late September. I've been doing the Monster and Craigslist thing for little over two week with no definitive results. It'll take some time. Start networking with people too, online and even with people in your town. I'm surprised on how many people know somebody in the Phoenix area even in the small town I live in. Someone in your town just might help you land a job. Keep us posted. Best of luck to you.
Yes, I know! Are you driving from Michigan to Arizona? I decided to drive out, leaving a week from Monday. It will take 31 hours total of driving, so I'm going to space it out over 3 days, try to get at least 10 hours of driving in each day, and stop at a hotel to sleep when I get tired.

Monster is so frustrating! Either employers don't take me seriously because I haven't officially moved and my address is still in Ohio, or I just get companies trying to spam me. I got one call from someone but I Googled the company along with the phone number, and it's definitely a scam. Sigh.

I will do that also. Surprisingly, I ran into a high school friend at the grocery store tonight and told her what I was doing, and she said her aunt actually lives there and would ask her for me where some good areas are to move to. Coincidentally my cousin also has a friend that has lived there for 9 years (moved from Indiana to Phoenix), so hopefully they can give me some great advice, too!

Best of luck to you as well! I am excited, but extremely nervous. I think it will be a new beginning for me though.

Old 08-13-2011, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 6,085 times
I will fly first to check things out even though I'm pretty sure I want to relocate there. I will hopefully be attending interviews and of course doing some fun "touristy" things too. I will return to MI to pack up the car for my three day excursion.

Finding a job out of state adds extra difficulty to what is already extremely difficult. Especially for someone looking for an entry level position. Is it better to shoot a target that is seemingly impossible to hit or do I move in closer to get a better shot with the extra risk? If I secure a job or not I'm going to move, regardless. Luckily, I have a place to stay, and a very supportive family. I believe I have enough cash to get me by until I acquire a job. It just makes me nervous that I don't have that safety net but in the end I think it is well worth the risk.

Telle

Old 08-15-2011, 09:52 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telle View Post
I will fly first to check things out even though I'm pretty sure I want to relocate there. I will hopefully be attending interviews and of course doing some fun "touristy" things too. I will return to MI to pack up the car for my three day excursion.

Finding a job out of state adds extra difficulty to what is already extremely difficult. Especially for someone looking for an entry level position. Is it better to shoot a target that is seemingly impossible to hit or do I move in closer to get a better shot with the extra risk? If I secure a job or not I'm going to move, regardless. Luckily, I have a place to stay, and a very supportive family. I believe I have enough cash to get me by until I acquire a job. It just makes me nervous that I don't have that safety net but in the end I think it is well worth the risk.

Telle
I was more or less in the same boat when I moved here 15 years ago.

I think everything will work out if you don't spend lavishly and find some kind of job that pays a living wage.

Housing and gas prices are pretty reasonable here right now so now might be as good of a time as ever to move to Phoenix or the surrounding suburbs.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:23 AM

11 posts, read 18,223 times
I also am experiencing the same result of not locating a job due to living in another state. Maybe 6 years ago it would be different, but I think living there with an address would make the difference.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:19 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
I would qualify the reference to South Phoenix. That area has experienced a lot of new growth and gentrification that has altered its former landscape. While there are some areas that resemble the older South Phoenix, there are some wonderful locations there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area