U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 08:57 AM

8 posts, read 17,706 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction in my quest to move to Arizona from Ohio. I have a 3rd grader and a preschooler so excellent schools and low crime is high priority. I am self employed so a job is not a factor.

We are an active family into hiking, backpacking, mountain biking and kayaking. Of course shopping is a good activity as well. Activities such as music lessons, gymnastics classes, art/acting classes and competitive soccer and swim teams close by would be excellent.

I would like to rent first so the ability to find homes no more than $1700 per month would be great.

Which area do you think would be best and/or what schools are better?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 10:15 AM

17,851 posts, read 40,510,744 times
I hope you've spent a lot of time reading the forums here already. There's a wealth of information already here on all these places.

Renting first is an excellent idea, you should be able to find something within your budget in any of those cities. Actually, you should come look around a bit first, to get a feel for the areas and narrow down your search. No one on an internet forum can predict for you which city would be the best fit. Crime is not a huge issue in any of those cities, while schools all over AZ get a bad rap, those in those four cities are likely among the best.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:19 AM

860 posts, read 2,586,304 times
We considered the same areas as well a few years back moving from the Midwest. With your budget, which I assume is rental not mortgage after 20% down, I would eliminate Scottsdale and Tempe if you wish to be in the safest area possible with good schools in these areas. But don't feel bad in the least, as there are great family oriented areas of Gilbert and S Chandler that are beautiful, safe and in good school districts.
I like the area of Gilbert that touches and extends into the Chandler school district boundary, which is South of the 202 and includes new additions such as Layton Lakes and Adora Trails (just some that come to mind) as its not too far out and close to all the Gilbert family ammenities, lovely parks, and top rated Chandler schools or top rated Gilbert schools. East Gilbert around Morrison Ranch is also very nice area, well rated Gilbert schools.

We also love the area of Peoria where Vistancia addition is for its safety,outdoor trails and mountain views, value for attractive new housing and well rated Peoria schools( which were approved for more $$ by taxpayers which is good), but the commute was a no go for us. Its remoteness is a factor, as with Estrella Mountain Ranch in Goodyear which I have not been to but sounds lovely. If commute was no issue and I was on a moderate budget, I would take a close look at these areas. But it will be easier to find all your activities and shopping in Gilbert/Chandler.

Best of Luck!!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:40 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,072,275 times
Gilbert is rated as one of the safest cities, and the schools are highly rated. It's close to the San Tan and Superstition Mountains and the Tonto National Forest for hiking. It's also not very far to Roosevelt Lake Roosevelt Lake Marina - Lake Roosevelt Az - Boat Moorage, Boat Rental, Full Services Marina

Almost anywhere in the valley you'll find the school activities you mentioned.

San Tan Village is a new and great shopping area in Gilbert. SanTan Village : Home

In Chandler it's the Chandler Fashion Mall Chandler Fashion Center : Home

Since you're working from home, almost anywhere in Gilbert would work for you. Several more communities in addition to those that Hart4July mentioned are Seville, Spectrum at Val Vista, Power Ranch, and Val Vista Lakes.

Old 08-12-2011, 05:56 PM

111 posts, read 198,029 times
Default What?

Huh? Are you serious Hart4July? "I would eliminate Scottsdale and Tempe if you wish to be in the safest area possible with good schools in these areas."[LEFT]
Scottsdale is one of the most beautiful and safest areas in Arizona.

Was it a mere typo?
[/LEFT]

Old 08-12-2011, 08:52 PM

860 posts, read 2,586,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rose3408 View Post
Huh? Are you serious Hart4July? "I would eliminate Scottsdale and Tempe if you wish to be in the safest area possible with good schools in these areas."[LEFT]
Scottsdale is one of the most beautiful and safest areas in Arizona.

Was it a mere typo?
[/LEFT]
I was responding to her budget and the fact that she would probably want to be in N Scottsdale. I personally searched for 4 bd rental homes in N Scottsdale and they are all over $2000 a month and their max was $1700. Its frustrating when your post is not READ in its totality, or the original question was not read for budget, etc.

Here is the rewrite; N Scottsdale is amazing and SAFE with great schools from what I know, but good luck finding a nice 4bd rental home for $1700 and under.My husband works in S Scottsdale and I am sorry it is not soccer mom central. That is how I read her criteria. But maybe they do not need a home but an apartment. i just assumed. Kyrene schools(Tempe)district is also very desirable but more expensive, from my searches. I am not an expert, that is why I added the phrases "I would.." etc.
Because I have already gone through the process, and I understand that we should all come visit etc but I like to help. I spent last year driving all over the valley and doing multiple searches on sale and rental homes and its nice to feel someone may benefit from my time spent. But maybe they will see N Scottsdale and fall in love and spend over budget

Old 08-12-2011, 09:41 PM

Thanks for the responses! Yes I have been reading through the forums and have gotten lots of information. I definitely plan on making several trips before moving.

Is it possible to find a 3 bedroom apartment in North Scottsdale around $1700?

Old 08-12-2011, 10:14 PM

6,639 posts, read 10,396,393 times
We are moving into Fulton Homes Freeman Farms in Gilbert in September. Currently, there is lots of construction going on there, where the roads are being widened. Overall though it is a nice area.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:14 AM

59 posts, read 96,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva2011 View Post
Thanks for the responses! Yes I have been reading through the forums and have gotten lots of information. I definitely plan on making several trips before moving.

Is it possible to find a 3 bedroom apartment in North Scottsdale around $1700?
yes majority are well below $1700 and $1700 is actually pretty high for anywhere in the Phoenix metro area.

Old 08-13-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demog View Post
yes majority are well below $1700 and $1700 is actually pretty high for anywhere in the Phoenix metro area.

Okay, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>