Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2007, 02:27 PM

261 posts, read 1,667,917 times

Advertisements

I live in Arlington, VA, specifically the Ballston corridor for any former NoVA people here. Does the greater Phoenix area have any areas where you can live and walk to assorted restaurants, bars, shops, etc? Like when my job was also on a Metro line I could go a couple of weeks without using my car sometimes. I'm really wanting to escape the DC area and move out west but I'm thinking the 'downtown' Arlington scene will be difficult to find outside of places like Seattle and Portland, where the weather is somewhat crappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 02:49 PM

2,789 posts, read 7,462,332 times
My sister used to live near the Ballston Metro station in Arlington, so I know the area pretty well. There's nothing here as well developed as Ballston in terms of pedestrian-friendly, transit-oriented development. The three most pedestrian-oriented areas are the downtowns of Phoenix, Tempe, and Scottsdale. All have restaurants and theaters within walking distance of apartments and condos, but for the most part they do not have groceries, drugstores, dry cleaners, etc. because they have traditionally lacked a residential base.

That's changing as we speak. New condo developments are under construction in all three downtowns, and the light rail line will begin service in December 2008, spurring more high-density development near its stations in Central Phoenix and Tempe (Scottsdale is not participating.) New grocery stores are planned in Downtown Phoenix (AJ's) and Downtown Tempe (Whole Foods).

Bottom line: There are areas with the potential to become more like Ballston, but nothing at that level yet. You might be able to go a day without your car, but probably not a week.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:56 PM

647 posts, read 3,342,660 times
I agree with Silverbear. I used to live in your area and you're not going to find anything like that here now, IMO. Mill Ave in Tempe is a bit like it, but with a college atmosphere. They're building some really cool condo buildings right on the "strip" there, and I think it'd be a lot of fun to live there as a young 20-something. But if you're an older (read: late 20's maybe), you may not be into that scene anymore. Ballston's a really cool area with a bit more professional feel to it then Mill Ave.

City Scape, mentioned on this board a few times, sounds promising and if it turns out the way they say it will, I think it'll be the start of a really cool area downtown. However, that'll likely be a few years out.

If you're looking for something right now, I can't think of anything that would fit your needs.

I've found, after moving here from DC and living here 4 yrs, that the Phoenix area is so completely different from the DC area that you can't really compare them and it's hard to find many similarities. It's not a bad thing that they're different, they just are. So it's kind of hard to find places here that are like places there, if that makes any sense.

Do you mind the snow? If not, you might look into the Denver area. That's a cool city. And of course Chicago, but there you'll have the same issues with congestion, traffic, high real estate prices, etc., that you have in DC, plus you have those horrid winters. Likewise with Boston.

It's tough b/c there are negatives with every city and you just have to decide which city has enough positives that can outweigh the negatives.

Good luck!! Have a Red, Hot and Blue pulled pork sandwich for me!! Boy do I miss those!

Old 08-14-2007, 05:49 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,326,448 times
I agree with Boatdrinks. If you just want to move "out west," and want even a semblance of an urban pedestrian area, look at Denver and also Boulder, CO. Denver is a fairly new city too with a lot of sprawl, but it's urban core is much older and more built up than Phoenix. There are a whole bunch of places in Denver that would fit your criteria. Ask on their forum, I'm sure you'll get some good ideas. Their weather is really chaotic, and can get really cold in the winter, and hot in the summer, but it is definitely a lot sunnier and more cheerful than the Pacific Northwest. When it comes to Phoenix, IMO you really have just one solid shot of finding a place you might like-- downtown Tempe along Mill Ave. Even downtown Scottsdale feels a lot more sprawled out and car-oriented in comparison. Take a trip out here, see if you like Tempe. If you don't, then I would suggest Denver or Boulder.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:11 AM

261 posts, read 1,667,917 times
OK thanks for the replies folks. I'll check out the areas you mentioned.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:01 AM

700 posts, read 2,597,909 times
When I lived there (way back when) The blocks seemed extra long?? Maybe my legs were shorter? I would think to myself "Oh, I'll just walk over to Smittys"...huff, puff...bad idea. Plus the heat makes the walk seem long in the summer....
I hope Phoenix does develop downtown and try to make a neighborhood. But as mentioned ealier, you need services in addition to liveable area, but residential based business needs demographics to make it plausable. Kinda a catch 22, who will be first? Condos with no grocery, drug, restaurants etc, or those without the customer base.

The weather in Phoenix (October-April) lends itself to walking and being outside. Just need somewhere interesting to go, though Smittys was very interesting.

Old 08-18-2007, 06:59 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,862,849 times
I live in far north east Scottsdale, but had a chance to spend a few days and nights at a hotel in downtown Scottsdale. It can't compare to where you are now....BUT, I was really surprised at how much there was to do (compared to just a few years ago). My hotel was very close to a large organic type supermarket which made me start thinking it would be very doable and fun to live down there, because you could walk/bike everywhere or take the free trolley. There are a large number of condos/apartments, a library/civic center, a HUGE upscale mall, many, many restaurants....many nightclubs and bars, bookstores, etc. They are even developing the canal (man made and ugly) to be a kind of waterfront...and believe it or not, it's working. I've lived in NYC, Santa Monica, etc. and could easily live in downtown Scottsdale. It's not what you have now, but pretty civilized and fun. I think you should check it out. I can only imagine that it will get better and better each month. Development is furious. Oh, and if you have tons of $$$, there is one of the most fantastic condo developments being built right by the mall. Fantastic design...all steel and glass with incredible views of Camelback mtn. I'd trade my horse property in a second for one of those.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:36 AM

178 posts, read 801,751 times
If you want a central location in phx, the area around 20th st. just north of Camelback rd. is extremely walkable. The streets north of Camelback rd., esp. just north of Missouri Ave., have a variety of nice homes (many are brick) w/ large trees and lawns.
From this location, you can walk to the post office, Town and Country shopping center, w/ it's "western feel". This shopping center has HUGE trees, a lrg. bookstore, Trader Joe's, large gym, restaurants, health food store, and many other shops. also sometimes has art shows. Across the street is Bank of Amer. and a larger shopping area w/ Best Buy, Marshall's, Mervyn's dept.store, Old Navy, grocery store, Pier One, and many other smaller shops, also many restaurants and a library!. Both these shopping areas have bars. This area is very close to highway 51 (going north and south) for ease of travel. The residential areas north of Camelback are quiet and pleasant w/ low crime and have a bit of the northeast feel w/ all the big trees and are nice for bike riding. Hope this is helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area