U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 08:17 PM

6,639 posts, read 10,396,393 times

Advertisements

I was wondering, in every home we were looking to buy, it seems that all garage door openers we have seen are either of the chain-drive or belt-drive variety, mostly made by Chamberlain with a few Genie models. I haven't even seen a single home that has a screw-drive garage door opener.

Now that we decided to buy a new house with Fulton Homes, it looks like their design center doesn't even offer a screw drive option, only chain-drive or belt-drive.

So, I wonder, is there any particular reason why screw-drive garage door openers seem to be unpopular in the area? It has always seemed to me that screw-drive openers offer good performance and low noise without being too expensive (as compared with belt-drive openers). Does it have anything to do with climate?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 08:28 PM

159 posts, read 366,747 times
I have had screw drives in the 3 homes I have lived in here (11yr / 5yr / 6yr) without problems. I had to replace the troublesome chain drive unit in my second house after the first year (it was pretty old). The belt drives are a bit quieter than the screw drives.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:49 PM

9,537 posts, read 29,542,348 times
No idea as to why, Andros . . . except possibly cost?

As for which is best, none of the versions you mention can hold a candle to the iDrive Garage Door Opener (aka: Direct Drive). Great features, cleaner uncluttered installation, much much quieter and no need for those light sensors.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH

Old 08-17-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
No idea as to why, Andros . . . except possibly cost?

As for which is best, none of the versions you mention can hold a candle to the iDrive Garage Door Opener (aka: Direct Drive). Great features, cleaner uncluttered installation, much much quieter and no need for those light sensors.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH
Well, screw drive isn't really much more expensive than chain drive, however, it is much cheaper than belt drive. Yet I have seen some belt drives but no screw drives. The builder of our house, Fulton Homes, does not even offer screw drive.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:32 AM

72 posts, read 130,189 times
Quote:

Well, I would not recommend iDrive.

Actually I think recommendation or not is not longer relevant, because iDrive is now discontinued. This itself may say something about its quality and high maintenance cost.

If you like a wall-mount jackshaft style opener now, you could try LiftMaster 3800. It's more expensive than other LiftMaster/Chamberlain openers, cost $300-400 at least to install. It's slower than iDrive, but quieter. I can hear my neighbor's iDrive running, but not my 3800.

And it seems there are far fewer complains on 3800 than on iDrive.

Last edited by talich; 08-18-2011 at 10:51 AM..

Old 08-18-2011, 10:13 AM

9,537 posts, read 29,542,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talich View Post
Well, I would not recommend iDrive.

Actually I think recommendation or not is not longer relevant, because iDrive is now discontinued. This itself may say something about its quality and high maintenance cost.

If you like a wall-mount jackshaft style opener now, you could try LiftMaster 3800. It's more expensive than other LiftMaster/Chamberlain openers, cost $300-400 at least to install. It's slower than iDrive, but quieter. I can hear my neighbor's iDrive running, but now my 3800.

And it seems there are far fewer complains on 3800 than on iDrive.
Thanks, Talich . . . I did not know the iDrive was no longer.

I've had my iDrive for about five or six years now and no problems whatsoever. No experience with the LiftMaster 3800 but if it is quieter than my iDrive . . . is must be absolutely silent.

Thanks again for the update.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:40 AM

464 posts, read 780,964 times
Default My Andros' 2 cents....

My husband says: It used to be that screw drive doors were more secure and harder to force open but not today. Belt drive doors open/close faster. Screw drives only come in base models now w/belt and chain offering more options simply because they are not in demand today. Belt are always more quiet.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:16 PM

72 posts, read 130,189 times
Quote:
Thanks, Talich . . . I did not know the iDrive was no longer.

I've had my iDrive for about five or six years now and no problems whatsoever. No experience with the LiftMaster 3800 but if it is quieter than my iDrive . . . is must be absolutely silent.

Thanks again for the update.
I think it was discontinued earlier this year. I replaced my broken iDrive this May. It costed me a little over $600 plus tax to convert the torsion spring system and install the 3800, because the iDrive has non-standard torsion spring.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:57 PM

3,063 posts, read 6,099,462 times
The fact is that most homes that were built by builders that supplied the door openers used whatever they could get cheaper and that was the chain drive.
Having had both over the years I would never again have a chain drive.
Living in a dusty area is also bad as the dust gets into the lubed chain and it just wears it out faster.
The screw drive takes much less maintenance in my opinion too.
I currently have a chain drive on my duplex rental but I don't own it so I don't really care.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
The fact is that most homes that were built by builders that supplied the door openers used whatever they could get cheaper and that was the chain drive.
Having had both over the years I would never again have a chain drive.
Living in a dusty area is also bad as the dust gets into the lubed chain and it just wears it out faster.
The screw drive takes much less maintenance in my opinion too.
I currently have a chain drive on my duplex rental but I don't own it so I don't really care.
Yet I see more belt drives than screw drives, and belt drives are significantly more expensive than screw drives. And as I have already stated, the Fulton Homes Design Center offers a belt drive upgrade option, but no screw drive option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>