U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:05 PM

1,942 posts, read 1,863,910 times

Advertisements

Sorry to sound so dumb, but for the first time I have to buy new window blinds, nothing fancy, but I don't know what would be sensible places to shop (trying to avoid Home Depot), and not sure how it works in terms of installation.

I'm used to places where they don't guarantee the blinds unless they measure and install them themselves, but I figured that I'd try to find a handyman to do them more cheaply. But what if they turn out to be not exactly right? How does that work? Ideally, I'd hope to be shopping sort of in the east valley, roughly between 20th Street and Pima, Thomas and Shea.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 07:29 PM

584 posts, read 1,262,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Sorry to sound so dumb, but for the first time I have to buy new window blinds, nothing fancy, but I don't know what would be sensible places to shop (trying to avoid Home Depot), and not sure how it works in terms of installation.

I'm used to places where they don't guarantee the blinds unless they measure and install them themselves, but I figured that I'd try to find a handyman to do them more cheaply. But what if they turn out to be not exactly right? How does that work? Ideally, I'd hope to be shopping sort of in the east valley, roughly between 20th Street and Pima, Thomas and Shea.
I have a fews 1" in my garage.... What size do you need? I will give them to you for free.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:31 AM

5,037 posts, read 8,663,194 times
Most retail stores will let you return the blinds in their original packaging, if you purchased a stock size off the shelf and did not have them cut/altered or made to measure. The installation is usually DIY or hiring a handyperson, as you suggested.

It's not the custom look as can be achieved by having them measure, made-to-size and installed, but it's usually much less expensive and can look very pretty, too. If you do the measuring and then custom order the blinds, you are stuck with them if they are the wrong size.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:20 AM

8,219 posts, read 9,335,722 times
JCPenny's probably has the best selection for drapes and blinds (go to the Home Store). I went to the store at the Arrowhead area but they have others. Every other store in comparison to JCP has just a few items (they have a a massive department). Rest assured there is a lot of other places in town where you can spend a whole lot more $$'s.

Generally they are always on sale (they start hyper inflated and then they give you 50% off). But go in and buy a $1 item 1st. Then take that $1 receipt and go on line and do a survey. You get a code that is good for 10% of for your next purchase and it expires 30 days.

Lot's of times they also give you instant percentage off when you sign up for a credit card. If you line up all the deals (sales, survey code, 20% off credit card sign-up or 20% off on anything coupon) it really does turn into a deal no one can touch.

They have a fl yer that shows you how to measure. If you mess-up, then they will take it back.

My wife and I looked all over for blinds. Hands down JCP turned out to be the best spot for reasonably priced blinds yet with a lot of selection.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:16 AM

773 posts, read 1,253,267 times
I got the blinds for almost all the windows in our house from Lowes. The selection at Home Depot was actually a joke. Most windows have a specific size and Lowe's sells pre-made faux wood one's, which I got. They also have aluminum, real wood and a variety you can custom order. They also have handymen you can hire to personally install the blinds; I'm not sure what the price for that is though. If I recall, I think it was if you buy so many, they will install them for free. But I'm not positive. Wouldn't hurt to look and ask at the store though.

Our patio door though, had an abnormal size and we had to custom order those blinds from some online company that is based up in Sun City somewhere. It was pricey... $250ish for faux wood finish.. but easy to install and were the exact measurements I sent in.

I wasn't aware JCpennys would sell blinds... haha... but I would take the other person's advice and check that place out too. Maybe Macys and/or Sears has some too.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:47 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,145,849 times
We special ordered wood blinds from Lowes.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:36 PM

1,942 posts, read 1,863,910 times
Sorry, I have the feeling that maybe I wasn't clear - especially because I'm not very knowledgeable about blinds.

These blinds would presumably have to be custom-ordered for particular sizes. From what I remember elsewhere, stores want you to pay extra for their staff to come measure and install. If the customer measures, the store won't guarantee the fit.

Aren't there smaller stores that do that kind of thing? I somehow worry about enormous places like Lowe's and Penney's.

And can an ordinary handyman install blinds?

Old 09-04-2011, 04:45 PM

9,537 posts, read 29,544,301 times
Quote:

If I can do it, anyone can, Voebe.

I measured and ordered "top of the line" Hunter Douglas Blinds from this website Blinds - Window Blinds - Window Shades & Treatments | Americanblinds.com a few years ago. Installation was fairly simple and the results were great while paying considerably less than even the basic blinds at Home Depot or Lowes.

Just remember . . . MEASURE TWICE.

Good Luck!

Old 12-30-2011, 02:59 AM

2 posts, read 2,243 times
Quote:

Dont get worried i would suggest you the best window blinds ie. wood blinds they are very lightweight & easy to clean. They will give your home a classic look also are vey easy to install and operate.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:00 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,073,672 times
If I needed custom blinds then I would have the company I buy them from do the measuring, then they are responsible if the blinds don't fit.

If I do the measuring, then I am responsible if the blinds are the size that I ordered, but don't fit.

Lowes, Penny's, Home Depot, 3 Day Blinds, and there are many others that can be found online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>