Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 07:07 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times

Advertisements

I noticed the Ficus are really having a hard time. Even with enough watering, they are buring up. Has everyone else noticed this too? I know by September a lot of things give up, and this year, the intense summer heat is not showing any signs of letting up on time (we are still above average for this time of year). Even heat tolerant plants like cat's claw vine are drying out.

So, how is your yard doing this year compared to the same time last year? Any tips on how to help the trees and plants survive the final stretch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
We're seeing several of our plants burning up, we've lost a newer lime tree and our lemon is struggling. We've got one couple year old tree that showing stress as well. Other than tenting it all I've got no ideas...

Old 09-02-2011, 09:10 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,743,029 times
Our ficus, which had a lot of frost damage, is flourishing, the same for some immature dwarf citrus (a Meyer Lemon and a Washington Navel Orange). I don't see much difference from last year. We definitely have to stay on top of watering. My wife has the hose on one thing or another constantly it seems.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:34 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Just keep watering, DO NOT cut back any burned foliage yet, wait until October. The burned part protects the green part behind it. Citrus is pretty heat tolerant. Ficus, sometimes not so much, it depends on how well established it is, what direction it's facing, etc. The one we had at a prior house did great, but it had lots of sun protection.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:25 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
Should shade tents be taken down when highs dip below 100? Or is there a date, like Oct 1? I have seen all kinds of trees all different sizes and locations browning...at first I thought it was just me. I don't know if this is do to a lack of watering or hotter microclimates? My Ficus Benjamina are stuggling like most, the ficus rusttica are burning but not dying back....I have Sea Hibiscus which loves the heat, the hotter the better, much as with the Black Olive. But to see the cat's claw vine burning up...even with consistent watering, is sad. I have almost lost a banana plant too....all this is under shade cloth and watered quite well. Oh well! Hopefully stuff will come back and take off before it cools down to much in the winter.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Many plants looking bad and a tree with serious burn on the south side. On the positive side, my sisoo is growing like a weed on steroids. It's probably doubled its canopy this year and is still pushing out new leaves.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:45 PM

782 posts, read 1,109,007 times
Yard? What yard?..oh the dirt? It's fine...grass was struggling when I moved in so I laid down some seed..it had started to come thru and then I got a job and lost track...complete fail on my part. I will try again when it cools down..maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area