U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2011, 05:16 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,218 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Phoenix area in a few weeks due to job relocation. I have never been to the Phoenix area before, but based on suggestions and research I decided it would probably be best to live in the Tempe/central Scottsdale areas.

I will be working in the downtown Phoenix area, so I'm looking for a 1 bedroom place that is less than 25 minutes away. In addition, I am a guy in my late 20s, so I don't want to live in a place filled with college students, but I would still prefer a safe and active area so I can do things on the weekends and meet new people.

Unfortunately, due to time/money issues, I won't be able to live in a hotel first, so I will have to pick an apartment without seeing it in person. With the research I've done these were the apartments I thought might be best:

Lincoln Garden - 6480 N 82nd St, Scottsdale
Oasis at Scottsdale - 4140 N 78th St, Scottsdale
Eastridge Apartments - 1522 E Southern Ave, Tempe
Wilshire Pines Apartments - 208 E Baseline Rd, Tempe
The Mariner - 1525 E Baseline Rd, Tempe
Fernwood Apartment - 4550 S Rural Rd, Tempe
Little Cottonwoods Apartments - 1820 E Bell de Mar, Tempe

Is there anyone that is familiar with these apartment complexes or the areas surrounding them that might be able to provide some insight on which would be best? Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciate. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-04-2011, 07:50 PM
 
13 posts, read 29,212 times
Reputation: 20
Ive been to little cottonwood. I started to rent there, but it was too far from my job. What I liked best about those apartments was the attached garage, and the 12 ft high ceilings that gave the apartment a spacious feel. It is also a clean and quite community, and your right across the street from Frys. There's also a chinese restaraunt over there that has the best chinese takeout food. South Tempe (anything south of Guadalupe rd) is a good pick because your away from the rowdy college kids and tweekers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 11:47 PM
 
17,848 posts, read 40,224,215 times
Reputation: 10552
The south Tempe ones, even as far north as Southern, are nice places generally, Little Cottonwoods the newest and probably best, but at peak travel time you are looking at more than 25 minutes. The Scottsdale ones are likely to be too. You have to drive a bit to the freeway in Scottsdale, and it can be slow once you get on it. Access to fwy is quicker in Tempe, but they carry a lot of traffic into downtown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2011, 11:55 PM
 
Location: La lune et les étoiles
18,258 posts, read 21,138,052 times
Reputation: 19593
Quote:
Originally Posted by chieftd16 View Post
I will be moving to the Phoenix area in a few weeks due to job relocation. I have never been to the Phoenix area before, but based on suggestions and research I decided it would probably be best to live in the Tempe/central Scottsdale areas.

I will be working in the downtown Phoenix area, so I'm looking for a 1 bedroom place that is less than 25 minutes away. In addition, I am a guy in my late 20s, so I don't want to live in a place filled with college students, but I would still prefer a safe and active area so I can do things on the weekends and meet new people.

Unfortunately, due to time/money issues, I won't be able to live in a hotel first, so I will have to pick an apartment without seeing it in person. With the research I've done these were the apartments I thought might be best:

Lincoln Garden - 6480 N 82nd St, Scottsdale
Lincoln Garden Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Scottsdale apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Oasis at Scottsdale - 4140 N 78th St, Scottsdale
Oasis at Scottsdale Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Scottsdale apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Eastridge Apartments - 1522 E Southern Ave, Tempe
Eastridge Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Tempe apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Wilshire Pines Apartments - 208 E Baseline Rd, Tempe
Wilshire Pines Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Tempe apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

The Mariner - 1525 E Baseline Rd, Tempe
Mariner Apartments Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Tempe apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com

Fernwood Apartment - 4550 S Rural Rd, Tempe
Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters.

Little Cottonwoods Apartments - 1820 E Bell de Mar, Tempe
Little Cottonwoods Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Tempe apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com


Is there anyone that is familiar with these apartment complexes or the areas surrounding them that might be able to provide some insight on which would be best? Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciate. Thanks!
Here are a few apartment reviews to get you started.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2011, 03:33 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,218 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The south Tempe ones, even as far north as Southern, are nice places generally, Little Cottonwoods the newest and probably best, but at peak travel time you are looking at more than 25 minutes. The Scottsdale ones are likely to be too. You have to drive a bit to the freeway in Scottsdale, and it can be slow once you get on it. Access to fwy is quicker in Tempe, but they carry a lot of traffic into downtown.
Yeah, I had a feeling Little Cottonwoods and the Scottsdale complexes were a little far, so I think I'm leaning towards one of the Tempe apartments. The tough part is just deciding which one! All seemed to get pretty good reviews on apartmentratings.com.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2011, 04:16 PM
 
17,848 posts, read 40,224,215 times
Reputation: 10552
What I was trying to say is that all those Tempe locations could be difficult to do in 25 min, morning or evening. Whispering Pines would be slightly closer than the others, but amenities not as close - not a bad area, just not as nice as the others. Depends on what's most important to you. Good luck, and welcome to Tempe!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 07:40 AM
 
701 posts, read 1,028,219 times
Reputation: 897
You might look into this one. It's right across the street from me, so I know the neighborhood is quiet:

Salado Springs Apartments For Rent in Tempe, Arizona - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

As far as it being 25 minutes from downtown, I'm not sure. It's 1 mile away from the light rail so after walking/biking/taking Orbit Venus to the Tempe Transportation center (don't know about parking if you drive,) the light rail goes to downtown.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 11:47 AM
 
17,848 posts, read 40,224,215 times
Reputation: 10552
That one would be within the 25 minute range, even according to Mapquest (I used 1 N Central as the destination.) And, when you didn't feel like driving, you could take the rail.

Last edited by observer53; 09-06-2011 at 11:57 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2011, 03:21 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,218 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
You might look into this one. It's right across the street from me, so I know the neighborhood is quiet:

Salado Springs Apartments For Rent in Tempe, Arizona - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

As far as it being 25 minutes from downtown, I'm not sure. It's 1 mile away from the light rail so after walking/biking/taking Orbit Venus to the Tempe Transportation center (don't know about parking if you drive,) the light rail goes to downtown.
I'll look into it. Thanks for all the help everyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2011, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Avondale and Tempe, Arizona
2,852 posts, read 4,147,261 times
Reputation: 2549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden_Monkey View Post
You might look into this one. It's right across the street from me, so I know the neighborhood is quiet:

Salado Springs Apartments For Rent in Tempe, Arizona - Apartment Rental and Community Details - ForRent.com

As far as it being 25 minutes from downtown, I'm not sure. It's 1 mile away from the light rail so after walking/biking/taking Orbit Venus to the Tempe Transportation center (don't know about parking if you drive,) the light rail goes to downtown.
That place and some others on Ash, Rio Salado, or Washington are either on or closeby the light rail that goes into downtown.

Might be worth it to use light rail from Tempe to downtown, better than fighting traffic and it would save the OP some money in the long run too.

Not having to always pay for gas, parking, or general upkeep of car makes a world of difference in the pocketbook.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 PM.

¬© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top