U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 10:13 AM

88 posts, read 464,817 times

Advertisements

We had planned to retire to AZ in 4 years, but health issue is forcing us to move within the next 12 months probably. Present home is 2200 ft, want to downsize, little outside maintenance,etc. but would like a pool if not too, too expense to maintain? Questions; 1) Should we attempt renting for awhile or not? Are there short term rental leases available? 2) I understand Mesa is pretty well built up now, what about Gilbert, opinions on both areas, please. We would prefer a 3 bedroom ranch home, not townhome or condo- What could we expect to pay yearly in real estate taxes and utilities? Can anyone recommend a good realtor out there that can work with our situation of moving such a great distance? Naturally, we don't want to have to make too many trips back and forth unless absolutely necessary. We will need a realtor that can e-mail information only on homes that meet exactly what we want, so not to waste our time (and $$) or theirs. From what I've seen online, prices appear to be much better there than what we pay here (Chicago burbs) I would appreciate any and all help you can offer me. There are just the two of us, and our dog.Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 11:39 AM

3,632 posts, read 15,343,850 times
Can I ask what your health issues are? If it's asthma or allergies or anything breathing related then you will want to reconsider. It used to be the place to go, but not anymore.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:21 PM

Husband had quadruple heart by pass surgery & has had Rheumatoid Arthiritis since he was a young teen. We need to get away from the cold,dampness, and winter months here, as well as the very high humidty we have in the summer. Can you explain what are the health related problems someone with breathing difficulties would have there? Do you mean air quality or something else? Thanks so much for your reply and help.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:45 PM

Lots of pollution and dirt/dust in the air. Sounds like the arthritis will be fine here as long as he can breathe. Back in the 70's and 80's people were told to move here to breathe, so they did and did fine for the most part. Then our little city became huge and so came the pollution and construction. Nowadays it's a terrible place to move to for people with breathing issues. We have lots of "high pollution days" and things of that nature warning those with breathing issues to stay indoors.

My grandmother was one of those who was told to move here (back early 70's), but after 20 years she couldn't take being in the hospital every year with asthma and bronchitis. She moved ten years ago back to upstate NY (where she was born originally) and has few breathing issues there.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:16 PM

Thank you. I would imagine then, the air conditioning there is equipped with some sort of filters for Dust,etc? Are there other things that help, other than staying indoors? Needless to say, we have been back & forth to AZ long enough over the years to know when it's best to be out of the heat of the day,etc. Many years ago, I couldn't wait for our vacations out there to take advantage of the sun and heat,lying by a pool,etc. Now I am older and know better, stay out of the sun, and stay inside during the heat of the day! But- if you have ever been near Chicago during one of our bad winters- believe me, I will take AZ any day over what I have lived with for far too long! This past winter I had five foot snow drifts blocking my front door, my sidewalks and driveway was a sheet of thick ice... and this was a 'mild' winter. I keep telling my husband that once we move there if we ever want to see snow again we can drive north for a long weekend- or fly back to the Chicago area for a short visit around the holidays.
Is there any specific area you would recommend? Are there some hidden expenses there that would be different than here? Other than 'bug control'? While on vacation there about 10 years ago, my husband ended up in Scottsdale hospital when he fell at our resort and broke his hip. I understand Mayo Clinic is there too (we go to Rochester, Mn to Mayo now)
I would truly appreciate some help. Thank you for your time.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:33 PM

I don't know if our AC units have any filters for dust, I never heard of any. People who don't have any allergies or asthma usually fare well with being outside for the most part. So, if you don't have any of those issues then you should be ok, however, some will get allergies from our plants that they don't have back where they are from.

How much are you looking to spend on a home? Are you looking for a small community or retirement community? I don't know much about the east valley. I've always been a north valley person, born and raised. Now, I choose to live in N. Glendale as it is a great place to live.

My bf is from Chicago and moved out here 14 yrs ago and still can't get used to the heat. He HATES it! He claims it's as bad as Chicago winters being too cold to do anything. He still can't decide which is worse, cold or hot.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:34 PM

I can't think of anything that we spend on that others don't. You might need a pest control. I've only had it done a few times when I lived in apartments. Otherwise, we don't get too many bugs.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:21 PM

551 posts, read 2,591,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
My bf is from Chicago and moved out here 14 yrs ago and still can't get used to the heat. He HATES it! He claims it's as bad as Chicago winters being too cold to do anything. He still can't decide which is worse, cold or hot.
One thing to remember, you never have to wake up early to shovel sun off of your car or out of your driveway in the morning!

Old 08-17-2007, 04:30 PM

If at all possible, we would like to spend under $350,000 for a 3 bedroom ranch that is less than 10 yrs. old. We don't care about lot size, but I think I wrote that we would like a small pool, definitely want a fenced yard, two car garage. We are not necessarily looking for a home in a 'senior community' because we enjoy people of all ages as neighbors. The community that we live in has an HOA, all outside mainteance is done for us (at a high monthly assessment fee) We bought our home here new, it is only 4 years old. Can you explain, or give me names of communities that are in the 'north valley versus the 'east valley'. I guess I had better look at a map?Sablebaby I believe you are north of Scottsdale, correct? I get confused with Scottsdale, which is considered the more affluent, north or south Scottsdale?
I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all the comments, please keep them coming, I need all the help I can get! Thank you.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:37 PM

20,005 posts, read 73,047,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Shake View Post
One thing to remember, you never have to wake up early to shovel sun off of your car or out of your driveway in the morning!
Another thing to remember is that cold doesnt give you *cough*skin cancer*cough* like AZ does. Go on, soak up that sun!

And you can also dress for the cold, unlike in the oven is AZ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area