U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:40 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,301,287 times

Advertisements

The 5 worst places to retire in the US - senior communities- MSN Money
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 12:48 PM

10,720 posts, read 18,870,446 times
I agree that Arizona has one of the worst housing markets and I also agree with ASU professor Jay Butler that the overall housing market is not going to rebound for some time but I disagree that Arizona is a bad place for retirees. With the surplus of foreclosures means great deals for people looking to move here and buy a home. There are a lot of great deals for small homes in retirement communities. As I've said in other posts, the real estate market in the Valley is mixed and it depends on your particular situation. For retirees, this place is ideal. There are many sub 150 K homes that are priced well (and why competition for these homes is fierce right now) Property taxes are low. Access to health care and the quality of health care is high. Crime is relatively low for a large metropolitan city. The weather is great. There are many recreational activities. It's kind of foolish to take one statistic and extrapolate that to suddenly mean "bad for retirees"

Old 09-09-2011, 01:00 PM

35,007 posts, read 45,101,733 times
Saw this on the national press a few days ago and had to laugh. I thought it was a joke at first. Florida? Nevada? Arizona? The "worst" areas for hypothetical retirees are all among the most popular for actual retirees. Are they serious? Makes little sense to me unless retirees are incapable of figuring out what is good for them. This may well be the dumbest in a very long line of dumb "best cities for ..." articles to hit the news.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:05 PM

It specifically states "greater Phoenix area," but I agree that there are tons of places in AZ that are ideal for retirement. The article was even more negative on both LV and Nevada, and pretty negative on California as a whole, even though it was poking fun at the senior citizen marijuana geneticists.

Pond., It is from the "Fiscal Times" so it is recognizing places with less economic stability. Retirees need to be extra careful about living in places that are likely to implement large tax increases. You can still have perfect weather with economic chaos. I think they let South Florida off the hook way to easy.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:08 PM

10,720 posts, read 18,870,446 times
I actually get upset that this city and state panders too much to retirees. We do everything we can to keep taxes low to pander to retirees even at the expense of education and some social programs. I would much rather raise property taxes and eliminate the state income tax like Texas. The state sacrafices much to pander to retirees than this article is a joke. I understand why we do it but it's an unfortunate reality here. Retirement is a big business in Arizona and keeps us afloat particularly now but it does come with its costs.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:09 PM

35,007 posts, read 45,101,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
It specifically states "greater Phoenix area," but I agree that there are tons of places in AZ that are ideal for retirement. The article was even more negative on both LV and Nevada, and pretty negative on California as a whole, even though it was poking fun at the senior citizen marijuana geneticists.
That matters little. It is still absurd.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I actually get upset that this city and state panders too much to retirees. We do everything we can to keep taxes low to pander to retirees even at the expense of education and some social programs. I would much rather raise property taxes and eliminate the state income tax like Texas. The state sacrafices much to pander to retirees than this article is a joke. I understand why we do it but it's an unfortunate reality here. Retirement is a big business in Arizona and keeps us afloat particularly now but it does come with its costs.

The retirees are clearly targets of the corrupt developers. It seems like it would be a lot easier to sell homes to retirees, who are relocating, now than it would be to sell to young, professional couples being transferred here with good paying jobs...because there are so few of them.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:51 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,764,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
FL charges about twice the amount in property taxes as compared to AZ because they don't have an income tax. That was a real concern for me. FL also costs about 4-6 times more for home owners insurance.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:56 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,246,352 times
Even though I'm bearish on Phoenix real estate, I laugh at that report on Phoenix being in the top five worst places to retire! It does not make sense when they say the housing prices fall, it makes retiring to Phoenix a bad idea! It makes Phoenix more affordable.

However, note the POS houses are selling like hotcakes to investors and priced at pre-2001 levels. Yet most of the houses above $250,000 are still at 2003 levels. So there is room for the high end houses to fall. They just are not selling. The owners are drinking kool-aid by thinking someone would buy a house valued at somewhere between 2003 and 2009.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:38 PM

I think the prices are more like 1903 than 2003, Howard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area