Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 05:39 PM

86 posts, read 293,852 times

Advertisements

See allot of beautiful homes in Goodyear under 100,000. Is there any catch?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 09:54 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,999,055 times
With Goodyear - Generally not. If it's a newer home, the neighborhoods are pretty desirable, overall. Just be sure to get a good inspection first.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:44 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleeee View Post
Thanks
There is no "catch" per say. But when you drive to the home and through that neighborhood (it will be south of 10) you will not see the better neighborhood layouts. So the streets will be narrow or it will be adjacent to so an open field etc. Maybe it will lack infrastructure nearby like restaurants or there might be a small section of "less than ideal" homes nearby. I've found that the $100K newer home to be compromise excluding the fact that you will have a longer drive. Also expect the lot to be small.

I drove by two dozen properties that looked fantastic online. Every single time, I stopped short of going into the home. You will also learn that for every $10K more, you will get to a new level of feel.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 09-30-2011 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: clarifications.

Old 09-30-2011, 04:40 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
The biggest "catch" is the commute which can be brutal from that area. If you are thinking of buying the property for a rental, check the available inventory in the specific subdivision you are considering as well as the general area.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:57 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The biggest "catch" is the commute which can be brutal from that area. If you are thinking of buying the property for a rental, check the available inventory in the specific subdivision you are considering as well as the general area.
The commute is not necessarily "brutal"? Goodyear (at least the lower cost homes near the freeway) is relatively close in. There's a 10 lane freeway almost to your door. It's 20-25 minutes from those houses to downtown. I-10 is slow and go in places just like every freeway here during rush hour.

In any case, convenience and most other factors are going to be better in Goodyear than in just about anywhere one is going to find a house under 100K.

Old 09-30-2011, 08:03 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
There is no "catch" per say. But when you drive to the home and through that neighborhood (it will be south of 10) you will not see the better neighborhood layouts. So the streets will be narrow or it will be adjacent to so an open field etc. Maybe it will lack infrastructure nearby like restaurants or there might be a small section of "less than ideal" homes nearby. I've found that the $100K newer home to be compromise excluding the fact that you will have a longer drive. Also expect the lot to be small.

I drove by two dozen properties that looked fantastic online. Every single time, I stopped short of going into the home. You will also learn that for every $10K more, you will get to a new level of feel.
Narrow residential streets is the new "in" look. They build them with treed and landscaped strips between the sidewalk and roadway in all parts of Goodyear (even the high brow 'hoods in Estrella) leaving a narrow track for cars. There is no room for two lanes if a car parks on the street. Cul-de-sacs have islands in the middle and the streets jog out and back. It is for street appeal and passive traffic management. It looks nicer, I guess, but it is a real pain trying to manipulate a trailer on.

I agree with your post though. There is something about those 2006 neighborhoods going for 100K now that is unappealing. The thing I hate most is the houses were so huge - 2 story, 3000 sf building put 8 feet overhang to overhang apart. They look like house canyons. If one can get past that or likes the look, those areas just south of the freeway in Goodyear are otherwise rather attractive. They have very variable elevations, a good mix of styles and sizes and color schemes that don't repeat next door or across the street (Goodyear development ordinance).

Last edited by Ponderosa; 09-30-2011 at 08:11 AM..

Old 09-30-2011, 08:11 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

In any case, convenience and most other factors are going to be better in Goodyear than in just about anywhere one is going to find a house under 100K.
I totally agree with this, Ponderosa. Good point!

Old 09-30-2011, 09:10 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
I live in one of those under $100k houses (if it makes you feel better it used to be one of those over $250k houses and it was built in 2001 for around $120k) ........ the rise and fall of the price tag didn't change the home much though and I still like my neighborhood and would recommend it with a couple of caveats

services in the area are very convenient ... basically trip over grocery stores and there are plenty of options nearby .... the core of goodyears isn't that massive .... if you are in it you can get to about any other spot in the city within 10 minutes

Old 09-30-2011, 09:26 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
My $300k home which I built in 2008 is now a $150k home in Goodyear. There are sub $100k homes nearby and I can't think of many "catches" other than you're surrounded by sub $100k homes. Some of the people that can afford a sub $100k home are not as desirable as those that can afford more expensive homes.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:31 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoleeee View Post
Thanks
If they are Short Sales the next thing you will be told is that they already have five bids and if you want to have a chance you should bid at least $120,000. Later they will call you for another "Highest and Best" bid to run the price higher yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area