U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2011, 04:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,107 times

Advertisements

Hello. I plan on moving from the Chicago-land area to the Phoenix area no later than December. I desire to get more information on the area when choosing a place to live. I heard rumors that there are several "Chicagoians" that have relocated to the area. Is this focused around the Mesa area?

I will also need to find suitable employment (I am using Careerbuilder and Linkedin, but any addition insights would be appreciated). [mod]snip[/mod]

I am currently working on writing and publishing my first book and would love to find work in that field, but I also have skills as a service technician, driver, tile installer & data analyst (to name a few). A jack of all trades!

I also have some background in community theater and I'm also a bass player. Will work for food. Comes with a 30-day money back guarantee. Order now and you will also get a matching set of Ginsu steak knives!

Last edited by Kimballette; 10-06-2011 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Sorry, this is not a job search forum - relocation only.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 10:12 PM

17,851 posts, read 40,599,137 times
There are people from the Chicago area all over the Valley. I would not say they are concentrated in Mesa.

Where you live should be largely determined by where you work. Commutes here can be long, as this is a very spread out area. Whatever housing you find first should be short term, so if your work ends up being in a different area, you can easily relocate.

I hope you have a good cushion of money to start with... the job market can be spotty at best. Having a lot of different skills is an asset which may improve your search odds.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:58 AM

2,748 posts, read 3,089,416 times
try indeed.com-that is the best job search engine (craigslist is good as well) phoenix is a nice place to live but not a great place for a writer, this area lacks jobs for the creative class (i know a couple of writers in phoenix and the companies they work for are based outside of arizona in another state-they have a difficult time obtaining writing work in phoenix)
Phoenix lacks creative careers, study says
there are loads of people from chicago here--and a chicago based restuarant
Chicago Hamburger Company - Home of the ORIGINAL Windy City Slider!
there are some month to month places in mesa if u want to pursue that option

Old 10-07-2011, 11:27 AM

1,034 posts, read 4,229,763 times
You'll find lots of Chicago-transplants here in AZ but I agree that there isn't one hub for them.

My aunt and uncle are snowbirds who winter in Tucson and summer in Chicago. They have their Chicago pizza shipped to them when they're here in the winter. They cannot live without it and haven't found a suitable AZ replacement. They order a few at a time and freeze a couple to enjoy later. I guess our Chicago pizza selections in AZ are so poor, they'd rather eat a frozen option. Hey...whatever works.

I'd recommend trying to secure a job before you arrive unless you have a sizeable cushion. Rent a centrally-located apartment until you find a job and can find a more permanent place to call home.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:09 AM

10 posts, read 13,880 times
Welcome Chicagoan! I'm from Chicago as well! Quite the difference here in weather eh?
Well like someone said, they don't really have communities the way they were in the Midwest of regions of people..I remember always passing by the mostly Polish communities or German on Cicero and California. We used to buy from their shops D
Here everyone is spread out...not too many clusters of people. One place I recommend is Glendale. We know a lot of people from Chicago, but mainly because we were friends there. Glendale is diverse and big..a lot of population. You can find the really high end neighborhoods like Arrowhead that are expensive or you can go further down the West Valley and find nice big houses on big lots for awesome prices..and in close proximity to many attractions like the Stadium.
As for writing, I think it depends on the writer. If you are good people will buy your stuff. Sometimes it takes a while to get your book out there and with a good rep. Guess who is from AZ? Stephanie Meyer. She wrote the Twilight series..she from the valley and became a millionaire of those books..the third movie is coming out next month of her series..u probably heard about the craze over Twilight books.
Arizona honestly sucked until a few years ago when we had a boom of everyone moving here..our population has increased so much and so many things have come about. I honestly don't think there is other places as nice as AZ as everything is relatively new. You will see a big difference of Chicago and AZ.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>