Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 09:10 PM

44 posts, read 123,484 times

Advertisements

we need a new (to to us) car and are somewhat nervous. Cars seem to work harder here because of a/c use so much. Last thing we want is a car that looks good but has been run into the ground.

Any tips for people who don't know a lot about cars or have tons of money to spend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 08:55 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,118,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cksmom View Post
we need a new (to to us) car and are somewhat nervous. Cars seem to work harder here because of a/c use so much. Last thing we want is a car that looks good but has been run into the ground.

Any tips for people who don't know a lot about cars or have tons of money to spend?
Request a Car Fax.

Before purchasing, make an appointment with a mechanic that you trust.

Pay special attention to the mileage, brakes, and tires.

Do these 3 things and your chances of getting a good value increase.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:14 AM

39,117 posts, read 51,366,781 times
Go to CarMax. You are pretty much assured of getting a car that is in good condition for its age, etc. and the price will be consistent with the market. Also, no haggle, no sales pressure makes it more enjoyable. You can check out their inventory online and make an appointment. They will have your car cleaned up and ready for a test drive when you get there. Or you can just browse the lot without being pestered by sales people. The no haggle price is posted on every one. You can check to see if prices are fair by looking at kbb.com or nadaguides.com

Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 AM

674 posts, read 2,556,971 times
I'm not sure that A/C usage makes a car work that much harder. Cars here probably have it easy on account of our smooth flat roads. But whether you buy an AZ car or one that came from back east somewhere, it all comes down to the maintenance that was given to the car. If you are not pressed to buy right away, ask sellers for service records.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 AM

39,117 posts, read 51,366,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
I'm not sure that A/C usage makes a car work that much harder. Cars here probably have it easy on account of our smooth flat roads. But whether you buy an AZ car or one that came from back east somewhere, it all comes down to the maintenance that was given to the car. If you are not pressed to buy right away, ask sellers for service records.
Cars here have it easy. No salt, no tree sap, no potholes, no cold weather starts and short trips. Dealers come from all over to buy cars at the Mannheim auction here for sale in the east. I always get a kick out of seeing "Arizona Car" painted on the windshield of a car for sale back where I came from.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:04 AM

9,603 posts, read 31,756,089 times
Depending on your wants, needs and budget, cksmom . . . I would consider Private Sales on New & Used Cars for Sale, Auto Dealers, Car Reviews and Car Finance Advice and New Cars, Used Cars - Find Cars at AutoTrader.com especially if you are able to find a low mileage vehicle being sold by a senior retiree.

Unless the laws have changed recently, Sales Tax is not charged on Private Sales which is a definite financial savings.

Also, I agree with MaxPower . . . in most cases, A/C usage should not be an issue but high mileage and poor maintenance should.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:36 PM

44,676 posts, read 61,781,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Go to CarMax. You are pretty much assured of getting a car that is in good condition for its age, etc. and the price will be consistent with the market. Also, no haggle, no sales pressure makes it more enjoyable. You can check out their inventory online and make an appointment. They will have your car cleaned up and ready for a test drive when you get there. Or you can just browse the lot without being pestered by sales people. The no haggle price is posted on every one. You can check to see if prices are fair by looking at kbb.com or nadaguides.com
I would recommend this advice^^, especially if you're a novice at car buying. It would be peace of mind and you'd have some recourse or at least a bona fide dealer to deal with if an unforseen problem arises. I believe CarMax has some type of limited warranty for their cars.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:06 PM

629 posts, read 1,703,453 times
Over the past 20 years - I've purchased almost a dozen used cars and have never owned a "new" car. Of all the vehicles I've purchased, I can honestly say only ONE was a bad purchase. Based on my experience - I'll share the following:

1) Get a CarFax report for any car you are considering buying. YOU run the report yourself! I can't tell you how easy it is to print a CarFax report to PDF for a GOOD CAR and simply modify the VIN and MAKE/MODEL info to match that of a BAD CAR. DO NOT trust the seller be them a private, dealership or internet seller - YOU run the CarFAX report yourself!

2) If the SELLER can not produce RECEIPTS for any maintenance/repairs they claim have been done - then they probably were not done. Don't trust hearsay unless you are buying a car from your mother.

3) Pay a mechanic you know/trust for an hour of his time to inspect the car - they'll be able to tell you what repairs need to be done immediately to the car and which are coming in the near future.

4) If you are buying a car with over 50K miles on it - investigate what the recommended mileage is to change the timing belt. This is a large/expensive repair - sometimes running well over $1,500 - and usually needs to be done every 60K - 110K miles depending on the manufacturer. AGAIN - if the seller states that the timing belt was replaced and can't produce a receipt - then don't believe them.

5) If you are spending less than $15K on a used car - budget 10% of the cost of the car in initial repairs and changing all the fluids to create a base-line you'll use to do future services.

6) If you follow my above advice - and are good at reading people and negotiating with them - buying a vehicle from a private party will nearly always result in a better deal than buying from a dealer.

GOOD LUCK

Old 10-18-2011, 10:29 PM

267 posts, read 694,248 times
Before people give you too much advice, it might be good if they know more about your driving needs.

How much commuting how far? Kid hauling? How long do you want to keep the car? What kinds of cars do you think you like? How important is fuel efficiency? What else is important to you? Do you have any special personal circumstances that affect you as a driver (example, my spouse is 4'11" and finds some vehicles just don't fit her, plus she's not at all comfortable driving a manual transmission)? Do you have any special feelings about USA nameplates vs. imports (knowing the brand often has little to do with where the car is really built)? Special feelings about safety, durability, workmanship? Do you love/hate to haggle?

Old 10-19-2011, 08:32 PM

44 posts, read 123,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
Before people give you too much advice, it might be good if they know more about your driving needs.

How much commuting how far? Kid hauling? How long do you want to keep the car? What kinds of cars do you think you like? How important is fuel efficiency? What else is important to you? Do you have any special personal circumstances that affect you as a driver (example, my spouse is 4'11" and finds some vehicles just don't fit her, plus she's not at all comfortable driving a manual transmission)? Do you have any special feelings about USA nameplates vs. imports (knowing the brand often has little to do with where the car is really built)? Special feelings about safety, durability, workmanship? Do you love/hate to haggle?
first of all, thanks for all the advice. We are from Seattle and a/c usage is rare but here, we are just now seeing windows down.

farthest commute: 9 miles to work and back, one kid but we want an SUV as we are tired of not having enough room for buying bigger things, larger costco runs and throwing a bike in the back etc. Since we aren't driving tons (car will sit at work all day) fuel efficiency isn't that important and we know we are giving that up with a larger car anyway.

Not picky on brands...we seem to have more luck with american. hate the car buying process. all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area