Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 10:05 PM

221 posts, read 599,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Yikes! Inconsiderate neighbors like your ex neighbor scare me from making a commitment to real estate. By renting I can at least put up with it for a year and only have moving expenses and not worry that I cannot sell the house.
Yes, renting first in the target neighborhood is usually the best way.

I didn't mind moving because my personal situation had changed and I ended up making money out of the deal. This was in the go-go late 90's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 09:42 AM

674 posts, read 2,555,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor A View Post
We have always liked the Arcadia area of PHX, but noticed the area extends south past 44th-Thomas and I don't think that is so nice of an area like the part around 44th-Camelback. Is South Arcadia still pretty decent and are there greenbelts, tree-lined streets and large estates with manicured lawns through there?
I live on 44th and Indian School and I find 44th and Thomas to be a good place to live. Like you said, not as nice as Camelback but still nice. You might run into problems once you start going west a little, around 36th street where Walmart is.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:24 PM

1,942 posts, read 4,574,499 times
I once worked in Arcadia for 18 months. I loved it! For lunch my friends and I would usually end up at Indian School and 44th (several good lunch spots next to each other). I investigated the possibility of moving to an equity residential apartment complex in the area (there are two or three) but my current one southeast Phoenix is higher rated.

I love the green. I worked in a three story building. And some of the offices next to windows had no view because it was blocked by trees - third floor! And our conference room had a view of Camelback Mtn. In the early mornings I would usually stop by Einstein's or Starbucks on 44th and Indian School.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotQuiteNative View Post
Yes, renting first in the target neighborhood is usually the best way.

I didn't mind moving because my personal situation had changed and I ended up making money out of the deal. This was in the go-go late 90's.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:50 PM

115 posts, read 291,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower123 View Post
I live on 44th and Indian School and I find 44th and Thomas to be a good place to live. Like you said, not as nice as Camelback but still nice. You might run into problems once you start going west a little, around 36th street where Walmart is.
I live in the area just South of Walmart and let me tell you there are some very nice homes there. True there are also some not so nice but the neighborhood is not bad. Have a really nice home for sale just across the street from me that is on a large lot with irrigation.

Sometime drive through the neighborhood and see for yourself.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:43 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,288,020 times
District and neighborhood boundaries become confusing, especially when there are businesses that take on the name of a certain area, but are located outside the boundaries. Lots of businesses with the Arcadia name are found along Indian School & Thomas, but this is south of the actual Arcadia. Another good example is Moon Valley Nursery ... they have locations throughout Phoenix that are far away from the actual Moon Valley neighborhood.

I live in Camelback East, but some have mistakenly referred to it as Arcadia, and many confuse it for the Biltmore area. The actual street boundaries for Biltmore are Camelback on the south, 24th Street on the west, 32nd Street on the east, and Lincoln on the north.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:27 PM

20 posts, read 53,738 times
When you say you need $ to live in Arcadia proper, what would starting house price be. Any idea for a nice house.
Thanks

Old 10-26-2011, 01:41 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbstwins View Post
When you say you need $ to live in Arcadia proper, what would starting house price be. Any idea for a nice house.
Thanks
They vary a lot, depending on whether it's one of the older original homes that hasn't been extensively remodeled, or one of the "McMansions" built on one of the large lots on which the original home has been demolished, or something in between (extensive remodel, but similar square footage to original home.) Go to the realtor sites, plug in 85018 and a minimum price of 250,000 or 300,000 to take out the smaller homes in that ZIP that are outside Arcadia proper, and see what you get.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:07 AM

235 posts, read 756,688 times
Camel back to Indian school is a lot different than Indian school to Thomas. If you live in Arcadia proper you don't have to worry about they same crimes in your neighborhood. Arcadia is a pretty expensive, and exclusive place to live in PHX. At least when my wife's family owned a house out there. If you are considering south of Arcadia price, Arcadia proper is 100+ times more. My inn laws sold their dinky place for a million, in some parts of Phoenix this house would have gone for 50k. And when I say exclusive I mean it. You need to have a lot of money to be accepted in this neighborhood. It is a pretty unjust place to live unless you are loaded. Some guy was shooting pigeons, the cops came and saw all the shells. The cop goes to talk to the man, and the cop comes back and starts on my inn laws, on how there is an overwhelmingly large amount of pigeons, and to just ignore their neighbor. Just one example of course.If I were you, I would drive by on Saturday nights, when the teenagers driving their parents escalades, cruising around with fire place pokers, smashing out the windows on all off street parked cars. Surprisingly, I bet you would find less crime going on south of Arcadia, or at least the crimes would not be concerning you.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:18 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,786,533 times
A year ago, there were some sub-50K properties in 85018. I would say there are none under 100K now (SFH). The lower end of 85018 met many of my criteria for investment. That's a suprisingly good Home Depot and a sparkling clean, brand new, Filiberto's on the outskirts. There is also some very good shopping at 28th St. and IS.

EDIT:

I just checked and there is one SFH under 100K at 3536 E. Amelia Avenue....1100 SF=88K.

Last edited by khuntrevor; 10-27-2011 at 11:39 AM..

Old 10-27-2011, 11:36 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuh View Post
Camel back to Indian school is a lot different than Indian school to Thomas. If you live in Arcadia proper you don't have to worry about they same crimes in your neighborhood. Arcadia is a pretty expensive, and exclusive place to live in PHX. At least when my wife's family owned a house out there. If you are considering south of Arcadia price, Arcadia proper is 100+ times more. My inn laws sold their dinky place for a million, in some parts of Phoenix this house would have gone for 50k. And when I say exclusive I mean it. You need to have a lot of money to be accepted in this neighborhood. It is a pretty unjust place to live unless you are loaded. Some guy was shooting pigeons, the cops came and saw all the shells. The cop goes to talk to the man, and the cop comes back and starts on my inn laws, on how there is an overwhelmingly large amount of pigeons, and to just ignore their neighbor. Just one example of course.If I were you, I would drive by on Saturday nights, when the teenagers driving their parents escalades, cruising around with fire place pokers, smashing out the windows on all off street parked cars. Surprisingly, I bet you would find less crime going on south of Arcadia, or at least the crimes would not be concerning you.
Quite a lot of exaggeration here, to be taken with large grains of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area