Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:08 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,722,417 times

Advertisements

I will be out in Phoenix in a couple months. I am prepared to trade in my loyalties of almost 40 years to my NYC teams. In the times I've had extended stays out there in the past, it's sad how many people won't embrace the local teams. The So Cal people I talked to wore Dodgers gear to the local bars in Scottsdale over the years.

Someone needs to break the cycle folks. I know most people aren't natives. However, at what point are people going to fully back the D-Backs and Cardinals ? Suns have deep rooted fans due to their being in existence for some 40 plus years. The Diamondbacks won one of the most memorable championships EVER. The Cardinals finally seem to have competent management. I must say though, Kolb doesn't seem to be clutch when it counts. Not sure if he ever will. You have it or you don't. Regardless, friends and future co-workers admit they stay true to their native teams. Find that disappointing. One should be proud of being a Phoenician when it comes to backing their teams. Who the hell wants Cowboys and 49ers fans overrunning your own stadium for heavens sake ? Maybe some locals can explain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 09:18 PM

39,094 posts, read 51,295,696 times
Good for you. I wish more people were like that. I support the local teams. Always have. My family back in the old world is all Green Bay. I like them too, but if its Cardinals versus Packers like a couple years back , I'm for the Cardinals. I'm probably an exception but I have been here since the early 70s, went to college here, had pretty much my entire career here and raised a couple families too. This is home to me.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Good for you. I wish more people were like that. I support the local teams. Always have. My family back in the old world is all Green Bay. I like them too, but if its Cardinals versus Packers like a couple years back , I'm for the Cardinals. I'm probably an exception but I have been here since the early 70s, went to college here, had pretty much my entire career here and raised a couple families too. This is home to me.
My closest friends there are WI natives so they are still Cheeseheads all the way. However, they did embrace the D-Backs many years ago. I think the D-Backs have a much better chance to get a TRUE fanbase in the coming years than the Cardinals.A lot of it was bringing you your first title IMO. However, they've had more sustained success as well. Five playoff appearances in 12 seasons. Not too shabby. Still, I read an article right before the NLDS at the AZCENTRAL site that people still aren't giving the D-Backs enough love.

I think the biggest key to the D-Backs growing a fanbase is Kirk Gibson. Anyone over 35 remembers his 1984 and 1988 WS's. Gibson brings name recognition. Plan on seeing some games next year with my new Sedona Red Gear !

Old 10-26-2011, 09:29 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,553,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
My closest friends there are WI natives so they are still Cheeseheads all the way. However, they did embrace the D-Backs many years ago. I think the D-Backs have a much better chance to get a TRUE fanbase in the coming years than the Cardinals.A lot of it was bringing you your first title IMO. However, they've had more sustained success as well. Five playoff appearances in 12 seasons. Not too shabby. Still, I read an article right before the NLDS at the AZCENTRAL site that people still aren't giving the D-Backs enough love.

I think the biggest key to the D-Backs growing a fanbase is Kirk Gibson. Anyone over 35 remembers his 1984 and 1988 WS's. Gibson brings name recognition. Plan on seeing some games next year with my new Sedona Red Gear !
There were lots of empty seats for big games in the NLDS.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:30 PM

39,094 posts, read 51,295,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post

I think a lot of it is winning. Had the Cardinals followed the Super Bowl trip with a strong season, then another and been gone back deep in the playoffs, they would have a stronger following. People in some cities are born fans, where here you have to develop it. It can be tough when you have a loser than looks like they are not even trying year after year.

I forget the year, but the year where the Suns had Barkley and almost won it, there was a HUGE parade downtown with streets packed with fans for the "losers". This town was nuts for the Suns. Results and efforts do matter.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:35 PM

6,406 posts, read 8,999,166 times
I'm not going to erase my memories just because I moved. Real fans don't operate like that. Detroit teams will always be my no. 1. I respect my local teams but could never be a genuine fan.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Kim View Post
There were lots of empty seats for big games in the NLDS.
That is disappointing but not surprising to hear. Not sure why. Maybe because your 2007 team was a one year wonder, fans aren't quick to embrace the 2011 version with assumptions they were "flukes too ? Who knows.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:37 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,239,344 times
exactly - i've lived in many places and have deep rooted attachments to the teams I follow

I generally am supportive of the local teams, but absolutely cannot be dyed in wool

heck, the teams I follow aren't even geographically relevant to where I grew up

it's easy to follow what's local - but not always a great reason to select which team you like to follow

Old 10-26-2011, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think a lot of it is winning. Had the Cardinals followed the Super Bowl trip with a strong season, then another and been gone back deep in the playoffs, they would have a stronger following. People in some cities are born fans, where here you have to develop it. It can be tough when you have a loser than looks like they are not even trying year after year.

I forget the year, but the year where the Suns had Barkley and almost won it, there was a HUGE parade downtown with streets packed with fans for the "losers". This town was nuts for the Suns. Results and efforts do matter.
Starting to believe it was Kurt Warner who made Whisenhunt look good and not vice versa. Your first three losses before the Pitt game involved Kolb choking in the 4th with the game on the line. The Giants game was your back breaker. Made a 5 year 62 mil commitment to this guy so he better learn to have better resolve in the 4th with the game on the line.

You must be referring to the 1993 Suns who lost to the Bulls.

Old 10-26-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
exactly - i've lived in many places and have deep rooted attachments to the teams I follow

I generally am supportive of the local teams, but absolutely cannot be dyed in wool

heck, the teams I follow aren't even geographically relevant to where I grew up

it's easy to follow what's local - but not always a great reason to select which team you like to follow
I feel an obligation to start my new chapter of life by being all in for the local teams. I don't look at it as being "disloyal" or "weak" like some have implied already here. I watched the 3 Giants SB wins , the 4 Isles Stanley Cups and all the Yankees wins. I am leaving that behind because....

1) Too many of those fans out there already
2) Not sticking up for your local team when the opposing fans out number you at Cards and D-Backs games is the DEFINITION OF WEAKNESS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area