Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:58 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,372,800 times

Advertisements

Boy this is an old post. Chances are things have changed a little since 2007.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 02:21 PM

549 posts, read 1,560,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
She may have. Phoenix hasn't. Much.

Old 07-10-2009, 02:36 PM

116 posts, read 368,728 times
If I were single, Id be in SO CALIFORNIA!!! Its really hot in Phoenix.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:23 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,024,636 times
Changed a lot is more like it. Light rail, housing options in downtown, clubs/bars/nightlife in downtown and the arts district, high rise development, retail downtown, and more and more coming. Let's not even mention new restaurants downtown and the chefs who are leaving Scottsdale (including former NYC chefs) for new spots in downtown Phoenix.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:11 AM

549 posts, read 1,560,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Changed a lot is more like it. Light rail, housing options in downtown, clubs/bars/nightlife in downtown and the arts district, high rise development, retail downtown, and more and more coming. Let's not even mention new restaurants downtown and the chefs who are leaving Scottsdale (including former NYC chefs) for new spots in downtown Phoenix.
No, you're right. I'd just like to see more - the Jackson Street Entertainment district, for one. But yeah, I admit, my wife and I watched fireworks over the Diamondbacks stadium this evening from near Moira, a new sushi joint downtown at the base of a condo complex. Just like in a real city. And it is exciting to see, even in an economic downturn, condo units being built downtown and light rail going by and several chefs in Scottsdale thinking about moving to downtown Phoenix. It's great. I just wish it would go faster, that I'd see more people walking around in the evenings. But perhaps I just need to be more patient.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:27 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,456,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsandwizh View Post
I would not recommend moving to Phoenix.

So, in my opinion.

My fiancee and I both being 23...

Bad traffic. Freeway setup sucks. Way to much road construction which is fine but it's very slow moving, I understand it gets real hot out there but they are being paid more then us who were in the military and we worked a lot faster then that in the heat! Stay hydrated and you're good to go. Rude people, mainly locals who hate so many out of state people moving in and a lot of out of state people pissed off that they moved here (like me). The heat! And at least for me, a pool IS NOT the same as the ocean and I'm use to being able to go to the ocean any time I want and I have not gotten over that and i've been here 14 months. Also a lot of local arizona people LOVE to dress like surfers and crap and think there all that because they are going to a pool, its like, dude, you don't have to lie to kick it! Whats worse is sure it gets real hot but there isn't anything to do out here! Lets see, lots of resturant and fast food chains, movie theaters, thats about it. Sure there is NHL Hockey, NFL Football, MLB Baseball, and NBA Basketball but just about all of that can cost a lot of money and if you aren't amking a lot of money, which its tough to do out here you can't go to those to often. Sure the wages are worse, but the cost of living is lower but the prices for those pro sporting events are the same prices you're going to pay in the higher costing city like San Diego. and are just as tough to decent tickets too, must be because this state sucks and there is nothing else to do. I mean, if you got a day off and dont want to sit inside all day where are going to go where you can spend very little to no money and stay all day? Lets see..you can sit in all the sand and dirt, or you can go to a pool with everyone else, or you can go sit in a park.

I would not recommend living here if you are young, single or not! There just is NOT a lot to do and just about everything is going to be a long drive or short in milage, fairly long in traffic time.

This is a good place for older people who like the heat and dont go out a lot except to resturants or movies, other then that its not great.

I hear good things about scottsdale but also hear it cost a good amount of money to live there and if your going to be paying a lot of money, why have it be in a place likt Phoenix??
And in my opinion, being 49 and living in Scottsdale, this places still sucks. I've never been so bored in my life. And I, too, am one of the pissed off people who moved here.

Now, people in this forum will just say leave. It's not that easy to do. I own a home here and am not willing to take a loss. To be fair, I should have sold in 2005 and not second guessed myself. But I didn't. There were other factors going on. I should have left in 2007, but again, other factors going on. With the economy as it is, going somewhere else at this point would even be a worse disaster than having to live here. And you are oh.so.right. A pool just doesn't cut it, even if it's my own beautiful pool. I used to live in San Diego so I can relate.

To the OP, please do consider your options carefully. I burned my arm just touching my steering wheel yesterday - no kidding it left a burn mark.

Coming here was the worst mistake I ever made. And I live in a nice house in Scottsdale. There is nooooooooooo way I'd even live in Phoenix. No.Way.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:28 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,456,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Yes, and for the worse.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:41 PM

19 posts, read 56,108 times
Phoenix is awesome. Don't listen to those that say there is nothing going on here. They are just out of the loop. Forget Chicago. It's the murder capital of the US, a city in decline. Not to mention you have to deal with those annoying midwest accents. The phoenix nightlife is great, though not quite NYC or Los Angeles. However, rent is cheap here. I live in a 4 bedroom house in Arcadia with one other person and my rent is only $350 a month.
It's a trade off. When I lived in Los Angeles a decent 1 bedroom apartment was $1000 or more. Phoenix is a 21st century city, while these other places are declining 20th century cities with 1930's standards of living. Move to NYC and you'll be living in squalor and just trying to survive. How will you save money in NYC to eventually buy a place? The only thing Phoenix is really lacking is an ocean. I would move to San Diego for the weather, but it is too expensive(a 300 sq ft shack in the Logan Heights ghetto will cost 150k) and the job market there sucks. The job market in Phoenix isn't great right now either, BUT you do not need a good job to live comfortably out here. You just need a job...and the ability to manage your finances. PHX is a blast.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:35 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,266,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badamson View Post
Phoenix is awesome. Don't listen to those that say there is nothing going on here. They are just out of the loop. Forget Chicago. It's the murder capital of the US, a city in decline. Not to mention you have to deal with those annoying midwest accents. The phoenix nightlife is great, though not quite NYC or Los Angeles. However, rent is cheap here. I live in a 4 bedroom house in Arcadia with one other person and my rent is only $350 a month.
It's a trade off. When I lived in Los Angeles a decent 1 bedroom apartment was $1000 or more. Phoenix is a 21st century city, while these other places are declining 20th century cities with 1930's standards of living. Move to NYC and you'll be living in squalor and just trying to survive. How will you save money in NYC to eventually buy a place? The only thing Phoenix is really lacking is an ocean. I would move to San Diego for the weather, but it is too expensive(a 300 sq ft shack in the Logan Heights ghetto will cost 150k) and the job market there sucks. The job market in Phoenix isn't great right now either, BUT you do not need a good job to live comfortably out here. You just need a job...and the ability to manage your finances. PHX is a blast.
You obviously have never been to Las Vegas which actually has a nightlife. I say this because the nightlife in Phoenix is terrible, if not non-existent. That was one of the main reasons I left. Sometimes I drive to Phoenix to see my friends, and ex girlfriend, who still live there. Every time I go I absolutely hate it. If it weren't for them, I would never go back to Phoenix. They quit selling alcohol after 2 am, and basically the whole city shuts down after that. After living in Las Vegas for over 3 years now, I am just not used to that anymore. I like to stay out all night until the morning. We even one nightclub that doesn't even open until 1 am, and it stays open till 8 am. Needless to say, it is one of my favorite places...

Drai's at Bill's Gamblin' Hall and Saloon | VEGAS.com

Old 07-11-2009, 06:40 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,266,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
And in my opinion, being 49 and living in Scottsdale, this places still sucks. I've never been so bored in my life. And I, too, am one of the pissed off people who moved here.

Now, people in this forum will just say leave. It's not that easy to do. I own a home here and am not willing to take a loss. To be fair, I should have sold in 2005 and not second guessed myself. But I didn't. There were other factors going on. I should have left in 2007, but again, other factors going on. With the economy as it is, going somewhere else at this point would even be a worse disaster than having to live here. And you are oh.so.right. A pool just doesn't cut it, even if it's my own beautiful pool. I used to live in San Diego so I can relate.

To the OP, please do consider your options carefully. I burned my arm just touching my steering wheel yesterday - no kidding it left a burn mark.

Coming here was the worst mistake I ever made. And I live in a nice house in Scottsdale. There is nooooooooooo way I'd even live in Phoenix. No.Way.

I feel for you. I managed to leave Phoenix because I had no ties here. I am a single guy with no kids or property so it was not so hard. Being stuck with a house in this market is a whole different ballgame. There are worst places though, thank God you are not stuck in Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area