U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 11:43 PM

17 posts, read 18,840 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I are buying a short-sale in the Laveen area (67th ave & Baseline). There is some work that needs doing, though.

In order of importance (most to least):
Broken windows (single pane of dual-pane)
Landscaping
Linoleum replaced with tile
Partial carpet replaced with tile
Granite countertops

I don't want to just go down to Home Depot for the stuff I can't/won't do like landscaping, so I'm hoping people here will have some recommendations for contractors or good companies to use. I tried spending a few hours looking at the forums, and couldn't find anything really relevant.

The budget we have to spend is about $25,000, so I'm not sure if I can get everything on the list done, or if things won't cost as much as I fear.

Any help would be appreciated..

Anthony
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 08:06 AM

9,319 posts, read 17,838,564 times
I am happy to pass on our landscape company. We found these young men very honorable and they certainly tried to help us with our shrinking budget.
I will private email you as I am not sure if we can post them on the forum.
We also know several good contractors, but I am not sure they can fit within your budget. Make sure you check any licensed contractor to see if they are bonded and insured.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 AM

3,391 posts, read 6,732,098 times
The only limitations on recommendations are that new members may not make them (or post links), and real estate recommendations are never permitted. Aside from that, carry on!

Old 11-07-2011, 09:40 AM

4,206 posts, read 13,218,581 times
make sure you don't end up pricing your house skyhigh out of the rest of the neighborhood....keep it in line with the other houses.....for example, granite countertops are expensive and you may be able to get a similar appearance/quality with another product....yes, do the basics first, like the windows (do dual pane, of course), nice landscaping to improve the entire street, check roof, electrical and plumbing....consider wood in some areas instead of tile.....and don't forget the KISS rule (keep it simple, stupid).....

Old 11-07-2011, 10:31 AM

6,736 posts, read 10,904,831 times
I got the idea that they bought the house to live in it. Maybe I am wrong ???

Old 11-07-2011, 11:21 AM

9,319 posts, read 17,838,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
The only limitations on recommendations are that new members may not make them (or post links), and real estate recommendations are never permitted. Aside from that, carry on!
Great! The landscape company we used is All Pro Landscaping, Robert McDonough is the owner and a very nice young man. They really worked at staying within our budget and went on beyond the call of duty. His email: toosticks11@gmail.com Cell: 602-339-0758 They work mostly on the west side of the divide. In seven years these were the first landscapers we did not have to pick up after, lol.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 PM

Well, fast forward a month or so.. We saw the house as soon as it was listed in MLS (on a Friday). By the Monday the seller had accepted a different offer even though we tried to put the contract in on the Saturday. So it turns out that buying a distressed property that's in very good shape is like trying to get the prize on Black Friday.

We subsequently found another house in Laveen (57th Ave/Dobbins) and have a signed contract with that. However, it's a VA short sale. The Zillow value is currently $115,500 and we contracted $121,000 cash. Does anyone have any experience with VA short sales, and times to completion etc.?

This property is pretty much spotless (inspector said it was his first ever perfect inspection right up until he found missing syphon valves on the front and back water lines). Probably won't have to put much more into this house than clean the carpet in high traffic areas (11/2009 build date).

Thanks for the recommendations. We mat still end up using them; while there is landscaping, we are thinking about putting a pool in. Also a dog door for the golden.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:19 PM

4,206 posts, read 13,218,581 times
thanks for the update....Zillow is notoriously inaccurate, so don't sweat that....

Old 12-23-2011, 01:39 AM

Thanks for the advice azdr0710. When we saw the place, it was listed for $95,000 .. We decided to bid what we felt the value was, especially considering Pulte are still building new in the subdivision (Laveen Farms) with the same model new at $148,000. The property has landscaping, tile and granite countertops, not to mention is spotless. I just hope that the VA takes the offer, but I'm a little concerned because while our bid is comparable to others that have sold in the area, I don't know if the VA sits on things. I went through a short sale in 2009, and it took Desert Schools 8 months to close it. I hope this won't be anything like that long.

Old 10-04-2012, 05:06 PM

Default Still waiting

Still waiting on the short sale for $121,000. It's been almost 11 months now. Most of the delays are with getting documentation from the sellers. The guy is in Afghanistan, so I can understand he has other things on his mind. But the bank wants updated docs, and the guy doesn't respond very quickly if at all. I'm thinking this one might not be happening at this stage..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>