Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 10:54 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,578,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suezy View Post
can u tell me something about the downtown i notice there are some loft bldgs and it seems that the symphony bldg has some wonderful performances. can one walk at night from wherever they live to the symphony bldg and feel that they are safe. thanks.
Generally, yes. I've lived downtown for a few years and have never felt unsafe. I'm speaking of the large residential loft/condo developments between the area around the US Airways center and Chase Field, north to I-10, and between the 7s (7th st/7th Avenue). Most of the large residential developments are around Central or east of it.

Because of all of the venues, convention center, hotels, and ASU, downtown is heavily patrolled by police and private security. That doesn't mean there is no crime, but there are a lot of things to protect downtown, so there is a lot of protection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 11:28 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,578,747 times
Downtown is probably about the best. Old town Scottsdale is really nice also. Or Tempe. I don't have anything against living with college students, but there are a LOT of them in Tempe, so it can be a little bit... collegiate...

Old town Scottsdale is great. Although I don't know about grocery shopping, everything else is abundant. Groceries are around, but I just don't know exactly where. It's an active nightlife area.

Phoenix is a car city--it's hard to find everything on foot, but downtown has very good options. Groceries are available, but you have to plan a little bit. The Phoenix Public Market along Central Ave, is a grocery store, and also has Saturday and Wed. evening open air farmer's markets that are really good. I buy a lot of food at the farmer's market and do a couple car runs to Whole Foods every week (not that far), or Trader Joe's near the Biltmore. I like fresh food and I'm in and out of town so I shop frequently. Your needs might not be as demanding. There is also a new grocery at Cityscape, but I haven't checked it out yet.

There are enough bars and restaurants in or immediately around downtown, to keep me satisfied. I like hotel lounges, so that opens up additional options within a couple of blocks of where I live. If you want to go a little farther and enjoy a few drinks without driving, there are more options along the light rail. I'm not a big nightlife person, but I like to have the option to go out and grab a drink or some dinner when I want to.

Other options for walkability are around. Kierland is an example. If you lived somewhere around the golf course at Kierland, you could walk to grocery shopping, entertainment, eating, bars, etc. There are others as well. Overall, I like downtown for the balance of everything.

FWIW, I came from the DC metro area. I consider a mile to be walkable, a little less in summer. I may be a little more tolerant of the heat than are others. Downtown has been a very good choice for me.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:52 AM

8,012 posts, read 12,151,162 times
Phoenix's downtown & Central Corridor, downtown Tempe, and Old Town Scottsdale are the most obvious walkable areas ... but there are few additional ones that are often overlooked. Downtown Glendale (although not a favorite of mine) has lots of historic shops along Glendale Avenue & Murphy Park. With the upcoming holidays, there is also Glendale Glitters, which attracts a good crowd.

A couple of other walkable areas to note: the Kierland area in NE Phoenix, which includes Kierland Commons & Scottsdale Quarter. Also, the Camelback Corridor (roughly 24th Street & Camelback) is somewhat walkable due to it being a buisness hub, but it is just as car centric as it is pedestrian friendly.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:24 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,473,641 times
Downtown Phoenix is walkable but not so much midtown.

Central Avenue through midtown is very autocentric, probably less so now with light rail but still heavily vehicle-driven.

Even some suburban areas like Verrado and close-knit communities like Sun City can be very walkable, they are certainly safe enough to be so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area