U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 12:40 PM

3,391 posts, read 6,408,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJ0SH View Post
Pack 100+ snowbirds into a restaurant and watch every waiter in that place get sick the next day.
OK, now your hyperbole is showing. If wait staff are getting ill 24 hours after contact with snowbirds, then Minnesota and Alberta must be incubating the most virulent strain of flu/URI known to modern mankind.

Let's get back on topic with facts, please.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 12:52 PM

160 posts, read 322,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
OK, now your hyperbole is showing. If wait staff are getting ill 24 hours after contact with snowbirds, then Minnesota and Alberta must be incubating the most virulent strain of flu/URI known to modern mankind.

Let's get back on topic with facts, please.
You're obviously ignoring the issue, how can you not see the correlation between the huge influx of sick people and the spread of disease?

I see absolutely no benefits to Snowbirds other than a minor economic stimulus.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Kimballette; 11-14-2011 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: RUDE

Old 11-14-2011, 01:12 PM

3,008 posts, read 5,523,783 times
Quote:
Who needs them? Not like half of them pay taxes in our state either way.

What do you expect when you get thousands of old sick people visiting for the winter? Diseases spread. Pack 100+ snowbirds into a restaurant and watch every waiter in that place get sick the next day.
As you have addressed the food industry and poor tipping a couple of times I have to assume you are involved with it or are close to someone that is.
Just remember that tipping in many areas of the country is not the same as it is for this area.
I worked food services including dish washing and cleaning/waiting tables when I was young in in college. I know well that many depend on those tips to survive as the wages are not much.
I am certain however that without the snowbirds that many persons working in the food industry in the valley would not have a job at all, just think about it.
In other matters you have addressed it sounds like you have a paranoia that cannot be cured here.

Last edited by keninaz; 11-14-2011 at 01:27 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 01:18 PM

6,069 posts, read 13,543,905 times
We should all remember this is America, and just as those of us who choose to live in Phoenix full time have the right to live here full time; so do the Snowbirds have the right to live here during the times they choose.

The snowbirds come in all ages; not just the "old" folks. And remember that if all of today's younger generation is lucky, they may be able to one day be one of the "old" folks. And hopefully the generation younger than them will have more respect for the elderly than many of the current generation do for their elders.

Perhaps the snowbirds good driving habits
is one of the things that has allowed them to grow to an "old" age.

When we pass a known snowbird
who is driving 60, rather than 80 and cutting in and out of traffic risking our lives, or driving 50 while high on meth, perhaps we should thank them instead of criticizing them.

The snowbirds provide a lot of value to the Phoenix economy. Those who derive benefit from their business are well aware of their value.

The snowbirds do pay taxes on everything they purchase, just like full time residents. They pay property taxes on homes they own here, automobile registration fees on the cars they own and leave here year round, food and clothing taxes; rental tax on rental investment taxes they own. And of course those tax dollars are a big help for our local governments.

They also help to provide jobs for house keepers, pool cleaners, landscapers, contractors, property managers, plumbers, electricians, and others. Don't underestimate the economical value the snowbirds provide to our Phoenix economy.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:04 PM

17,812 posts, read 38,276,279 times
A huge influx of sick people? Please. Stop the generalizing AND the hyperbole with no facts. Most of the snowbirds I know are pretty healthy for their age and not contagious, and have the sense to stay home and eat if they are ill, just like younger people should. If what you say is true, it would certainly make the news, and the public health statistics. Old doesn't mean sick.

And, they pay sales taxes, and if they own property here, property taxes.

Last edited by observer53; 11-14-2011 at 02:45 PM..

Old 11-14-2011, 02:23 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,840,981 times
Quote:
The only benefit is the minor economic stimulus, and the cons outweigh the pros:

- More Traffic & Accidents (Notorious Rubberneckers)
- Longer Lines at Restaurants & Pharmacies
- Increased Viral Diseases
- Less Income + More Work for Restaurant Employees
- Increased Rental Rates

Not sure why anyone welcome such a burden to our city.
You're kidding, right?

MINOR economic stimulus? Study: 'Snowbirds' generate $600M for state economy - Phoenix Business Journal

This article was published in 2003 and we all know that with baby boomers starting to become part of this generation, the number is quite a bit higher. The best recent estimate I've heard is that about 350,000-400,000 snowbirds will inject our state with nearly $1 BILLION dollars!! When you have a state with the population roughly the size of the Dallas metropolitan area, that $1 billion dollars is a LOT of revenue.

The snowbirds don't bring crime, the don't take jobs, and it's rare that snowbirds travel during the peak travel times on the interstates. They DO use services and buy goods! They ALL pay sales tax and many of them purchase homes, cars, clothing, and other goods. They also frequent restaurants more often than full-time residents and contribute to the bottom line of many local as well as chain restaurants.

So how exactly do they NOT contribute to the economy of this state? They inject a billion dollars, that is NOT minor.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:40 PM

3,067 posts, read 4,812,456 times
As to generalizations about people being having communicable diseases, I would rather take my chances around 100 seniors than 100 children.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:46 PM

17,812 posts, read 38,276,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
As to generalizations about people being having communicable diseases, I would rather take my chances around 100 seniors than 100 children.
Me, too.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:51 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,465,080 times
Quote:
You're obviously ignoring the issue, how can you not see the correlation between the huge influx of sick people and the spread of disease?

I see absolutely no benefits to Snowbirds other than a minor economic stimulus.
You call a billion dollars "minor"?
And that was in 2003!!!

"Although there is no recent data on the economic impact of winter visitors, a Valley-wide study of about 300,000 winter visitors done by Arizona State University six years ago found that they spent about $1 billion on food, entertainment, lodging, and other goods and services. Winter visitors also pay sales, gas, liquor, and other taxes."

http://www.examiner.com/rv-travel-in...#ixzz1didb02Qf

Old 11-14-2011, 03:18 PM

478 posts, read 688,919 times
Quote:
Who needs them? Not like half of them pay taxes in our state either way.

What do you expect when you get thousands of old sick people visiting for the winter? Diseases spread. Pack 100+ snowbirds into a restaurant and watch every waiter in that place get sick the next day.

????

How uninformed can some one be?

I pay taxes...I spend a lot of money too. Matter of fact I do all of my clothes shopping in AZ.. I furnished a whole house this summer , a house that I pay taxes on all year and only use for two months.

BTW most elderly people get flu shots . They are free to almost every Canadian. The Flu season would hit Phoenix no matter what. It's the younger people that tend to spread the germs faster than the older ones. Flu season starts after the kids go back to school..coincidence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area